Default SOTU

On 1/31/2018 2:46 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 17:31:11 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Keyser Soze wrote:

Trump announced in his State of the Union speech that his administration
had “ended the war on beautiful, clean coal.”

It was a puzzling remark. Most of the coal plants Trump has tried to
boost are hardly clean compared with other forms of energy. In fact,
they create some of the most polluting power there is.

The DNC is your evangelical leader. As to coal. How are we to generate
power? We close nuclear plants, most of the rivers good for hydroelectric
power are already dammed. Governor Moonbeam Brown is committed $2.5
Billion to get 5 million EV on California roads. Problem is we already
have brownouts in the summer. Closed San Onofre nuclear plant, which
supplied 20% of California power. Wind and solar are not yet a viable
supply. And most of the solar panels are imported crap.

Don't worry they mine a ****load of clean beautiful coal just east of
you and there is always that shale sludge coming down from Canada.
Jerry can keep the lights on ;-)

I do think it is funny when they talk about electric cars being zero
emission but they don't ask where the electricity comes from and how
much is lost before it gets to you.

Harry might be horrified if he only realized that 30 percent of that
energy used to charge electric cars comes from coal.

Keyser Soze Wrote in message:
On 1/31/18 1:17 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 1/31/2018 1:06 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 1/31/18 12:36 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 1/31/2018 11:14 AM, Keyser Soze wrote:

Trump is your evangelism. You're in the bag for him, and it makes
you nervous when everyone else doesn't share your Trump fandom.

Trump announced in his State of the Union speech that his
administration had ?ended the war on beautiful, clean coal.?

It was a puzzling remark. Most of the coal plants Trump has tried to
boost are hardly clean compared with other forms of energy. In fact,
they create some of the most polluting power there is.

Rather than just regurgitating the approved position of the left
regarding coal, let's examine the real world, shall we?

First of all, coal still generates 30 percent of the energy used in
the United States. It is second only to natural gas that produces 34
percent.

Energy produced by nuclear power currently supplies 20 percent.

Renewable energy sources consisting of hydro, wind, biomass, solar
and geothermal contribute 15 percent.

"Petroleum" makes up 1 percent.

Looking forward and planning for future energy needs, the outlook for
nuclear power looks bleak. There are 61 nuke plants in operation with
one new one that came on line in 2016. Two more are being built in
Georgia despite calls to stop their construction. If completed,
they will come on-line some time in 2021 or 2022. However, the
scheduled shutdown of existing and aging nuke plants is happening
faster than new plants can be approved, permitted and built. Plus,
the cost of a modern nuke plant is incredibly expensive. So, we
can't plan on that 20 percent of energy for very long.

For future planning, where will that energy deficit come from?

Renewable sources are being built anywhere land can be acquired and
permits can be obtained. But, despite technological advances
especially in solar, it's a stretch to think renewables can
contribute enough to produce as much power as coal, nuke and the 15
percent they contribute now. Some of the sources have devastating
affects on geology and other environmental concerns.

Technological advances is being, and should continue to be developed
to keep coal in the game. Coal supplies in the United States are far
more plentiful than domestic oil or natural gas; they account for
more than 90 percent of the country's fossil fuel reserves and more
than 60 percent of the world's fuel reserves.

It's a planning thing ... not an idealistic brain fart.

Try reading for content. My comment was about Trump boasting about
"ended the war on beautiful, clean coal."

Coal isn't beautiful or clean.

Holy crap. You really are something else.

You mean because I posted something specific about a false Trump comment
and you didn't get it?

Post something specific about the Fat Harry Krause bankruptcies.
I've never heard of anyone getting away with it TWICE. Your story
would be a fascinating read.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 15:12:38 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

I choked a little on that myself but it is only money. The Germans
figured how to make clean fuel from coal 75 years ago and there is a
coal gassification plant that we got a look at in Beulah North Dakota.
It just can't compete with gasoline from shale or fracked natural gas.

Trump talks up the idea of clean coal, but where in the United States
would one be doing the carbon capture and storage? How about under Trump
Tower or below Mar-a-Lago?

Like I said it is only money. Scrubbing the stacks makes it better to
live near the plant but it is not cheap. Up until this latest fad, CO2
was the good gas that came out of the tail pipe "just like the fizz in
soda pop" according to the people who sold us the catalytic converter
back in the leisure suit days. They just need another stage in the
scrub cycle to extract the CO2.
The real problem with coal is it isn't clean, unless you are in the
anthracite country in West Virginia.

On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 15:16:05 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 1/31/18 3:00 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 13:07:49 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 1/31/18 12:40 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 10:03:21 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

10%
of Americans who own 80% of corporate shares need more money.

I heard MSBNC say that too but what they ignore is just because most
working class Americans do not hold individual stock shares, they are
still invested in the market through their IRA and 401k plans. That
statistic they like to throw around assumes mutual funds are not
stocks.
My wife is a Trump hater too but she certainly likes the 10 grand she
made in her 401k last year.

What is the basis for your comment about "most" working Americans, and
how does that conflict with the claim that 80% of corporate shares are
owned by 10% of Americans?

Because you are talking about "shares" not money in funds where most
Americans have their retirement money. It doesn't really matter
whether that is a 401k/IRA, a private pension plan or a
union/government employee plan. A significant part of all of that
money is in equities and it is ultimately the worker's (later
retiree's) money.
The only exception I can think of is the federal government and they
have no real investments at all other than whatever our kids can bear
in taxes.

What percentage of equities, directly or indirectly through funds, are
held by the 10% of the wealthiest?

Define "wealthiest". Are you just talking about what you call the
middle class? (households making $110k+) That is going to be a pretty
big number since they will have the biggest 401ks, assuming they did
not raid them.
I am sure if you just want to talk about hedge funds and guys like
Buffett they have huge holdings but they also have stockholders
themselves. They are essentially those funds I was talking about. You
can't confuse that with individual investors.
I suppose We could actually track down what percentage of stocks are
held by the real middle class, that guy who makes $50k or so but you
really need to figure out how much is in his pension or 401k.
I tend not to believe some of the things that the left (or the right)
says until I see how they arrived at their statistic. I crunched
numbers at work long enough to figure out you can make a database say
pretty much anything you want, just by what "view" you define in your
query.

On 2/1/18 1:17 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 15:16:05 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 1/31/18 3:00 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 13:07:49 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Your assumption, I suppose, is that the guy making $50k these days has
some sort of defined benefit pension. Well, that's not 2018 America so
much. Defined benefit pension are disappearing. And at a $50k income
level, I wonder how many workers are contributing to an
employer-sponsored 401k, or hang around long enough to get vested, or
have enough left over after living expenses for putting away some bucks
in an IRA.

Keyser Soze wrote:
On 2/1/18 1:17 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 15:16:05 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 1/31/18 3:00 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 13:07:49 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Lots f those $50k workers have 401k. What replaced defined benefit plans.
Was good for most of the high tech world. As most jobs did not stay
long enough to very in a defined benefit plan. I get monthly checks from
2 plans. One place I worked 17years and left in 1979. A little over
$230. Another place I was there 5 years, but turned 55. $250 a month.
Not much. My 401k / iras are worth a shot pot more a month if I need to
tap them. For now I get the RMD’s. And live off my other investments.
Spend 85% of your income and invest the rest, and you will never notice the
15% loss and will be well off at retirement.

On Thu, 1 Feb 2018 07:41:31 -0500, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 2/1/18 1:17 AM, wrote:

[...]

I agree defined benefit pension plans started disappearing rapidly
during the Clinton phoney "prosperity" days and most were gone by the
time his tech bubble popped. Most employers are offering matching 401k
program s now and the idea of "vesting" is pretty much an obsolete
term. Your 401k is all yours from day one. The employer contribution
may have a time on the job requirement at some places tho.
BTW if you plan on living after you stop working, your savings ARE
living expenses. That new big screen TV you buy when you are 25 would
be 8 to 10 times as much when you retire if you invested it. The same
is true of that new car.
Many years ago I heard you have to pay yourself first. I put my first
raise at IBM into the stock plan and continued doing that until I
maxed out at 10% of my gross. It really just meant I deferred getting
a raise for a while but I was racking up savings. When I finally got
over the "new car" thing and paid off my car, I saved that money too.
Pretty soon I was buying cars with cash. By your standards I was never
rich but I still managed to save money. I would rather be financially
secure than have a lot of flashy things. I think that is rare in the
US.