Default GMC Canyon

Here's one for ya:

I stopped in at the Plymouth Municipal Airport this afternoon. I like
to stop there once in a while, especially on windy days, and watch to
small, private aircraft trying to land. Wind was really blowing and
gusting exceptionally strong today.

So, I pull into the empty parking lot, turn off the truck, and just sat
there for a while listening to the radio and watching for airplanes.
Didn't get out of the truck or open the door.

Wind was really blowing with gusts that made the truck rock from side to
side. Became obvious that nobody would be crazy enough to fly today, so
I decided to leave. I put the key in the ignition, went to start it and
.... nothing. Just a "clunk" but the engine wouldn't turn over. All
dash lights were normal.

Tried again, making sure I was doing all the things you do without
thinking ... foot on the brake when starting, transmission in Park.

Nothing. Clunk.

Tried starting in neutral. Clunk. Nothing.

I should mention that at this point I realized I didn't have my cell
phone with me.

Tried again .. Clunk.

Got a brainstorm ... used the remote start on the FOB. Truck started
right up, ran for 3 seconds and quit. (You listening, John?)

Tried it again with the remote. Started up and I immediately put it in
Drive. Truck moved about 6 feet and quit.

So, I went to the small operations office in the airport building. Guy
was great ... let me use the phone to call the dealer. Dealer says he
can't do anything ... I have to call Roadside Assistance first. Called
that number and after going through long, menu driven options, got to
talk to someone. Explained what was going on and she said they could
send a truck to give me a jump. Told her I don't need a jump ...
battery is fine because it started using the remote. Only option left
was to send a flatbed and deliver it back at the dealership, 7 miles
away. She said she's send me a text when the arrangements were
confirmed. Reminded her that I didn't have my cell phone so we agreed
she'd call the operations office and leave a message for me. Ok.

Just as I was hanging up it dawned on me what the problem was likely to
be. Went back out to the truck, unlocked the door, got in, put the key
in and it started right up and ran normally.

Have you figured it out yet?

Here's what happened:

When I stopped in the parking lot I just shut the ignition off but
didn't open the door. The wind was blowing so hard, rocking the truck
that it set off the anti-theft system which prevents the truck from
starting. It's also why the remote would start it (twice) but then it
would die a few seconds later.

Not sure what resets it. Maybe it's just time or maybe it was cycling
the door locks, but it now runs fine again.

On 1/27/18 5:30 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

Here's one for ya:

I stopped in at the Plymouth Municipal Airport this afternoon.Â* I like
to stop there once in a while, especially on windy days, and watch to
small, private aircraft trying to land.Â* Wind was really blowing and
gusting exceptionally strong today.

So, I pull into the empty parking lot, turn off the truck, and just sat
there for a while listening to the radio and watching for airplanes.
Didn't get out of the truck or open the door.

Wind was really blowing with gusts that made the truck rock from side to
side.Â* Became obvious that nobody would be crazy enough to fly today, so
I decided to leave. I put the key in the ignition, went to start it and
... nothing.Â* Just a "clunk" but the engine wouldn't turn over.Â* All
dash lights were normal.

Tried again, making sure I was doing all the things you do without
thinking ... foot on the brake when starting, transmission in Park.

Nothing. Clunk.

Tried starting in neutral.Â* Clunk.Â* Nothing.

I should mention that at this point I realized I didn't have my cell
phone with me.

Tried again .. Clunk.

Got a brainstorm ... used the remote start on the FOB.Â* Truck started
right up, ran for 3 seconds and quit.Â* (You listening, John?)

Tried it again with the remote.Â* Started up and I immediately put it in
Drive.Â* Truck moved about 6 feet and quit.

So, I went to the small operations office in the airport building.Â* Guy
was great ... let me use the phone to call the dealer.Â*Â* Dealer says he
can't do anything ... I have to call Roadside Assistance first.Â* Called
that number and after going through long, menu driven options, got to
talk to someone.Â* Explained what was going on and she said they could
send a truck to give me a jump.Â* Told her I don't need a jump ...
battery is fine because it started using the remote.Â* Only option left
was to send a flatbed and deliver it back at the dealership, 7 miles
away.Â* She said she's send me a text when the arrangements were
confirmed.Â* Reminded her that I didn't have my cell phone so we agreed
she'd call the operations office and leave a message for me.Â* Ok.

Just as I was hanging up it dawned on me what the problem was likely to
be.Â* Went back out to the truck, unlocked the door, got in, put the key
in and it started right up and ran normally.

Have you figured it out yet?

Here's what happened:

When I stopped in the parking lot I just shut the ignition off but
didn't open the door.Â* The wind was blowing so hard, rocking the truck
that it set off the anti-theft system which prevents the truck from
starting.Â* It's also why the remote would start it (twice) but then it
would die a few seconds later.

Not sure what resets it.Â* Maybe it's just time or maybe it was cycling
the door locks, but it now runs fine again.

Your next vehicle should be a 1961 Valiant. These new vehicles are too
high tech for you.

On 1/27/2018 5:33 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 1/27/18 5:30 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

Here's one for ya:

I stopped in at the Plymouth Municipal Airport this afternoon.Â* I like
to stop there once in a while, especially on windy days, and watch to
small, private aircraft trying to land.Â* Wind was really blowing and
gusting exceptionally strong today.

So, I pull into the empty parking lot, turn off the truck, and just
sat there for a while listening to the radio and watching for
airplanes. Didn't get out of the truck or open the door.

Wind was really blowing with gusts that made the truck rock from side
to side.Â* Became obvious that nobody would be crazy enough to fly
today, so I decided to leave. I put the key in the ignition, went to
start it and ... nothing.Â* Just a "clunk" but the engine wouldn't turn
over.Â* All dash lights were normal.

Tried again, making sure I was doing all the things you do without
thinking ... foot on the brake when starting, transmission in Park.

Nothing. Clunk.

Tried starting in neutral.Â* Clunk.Â* Nothing.

I should mention that at this point I realized I didn't have my cell
phone with me.

Tried again .. Clunk.

Got a brainstorm ... used the remote start on the FOB.Â* Truck started
right up, ran for 3 seconds and quit.Â* (You listening, John?)

Tried it again with the remote.Â* Started up and I immediately put it
in Drive.Â* Truck moved about 6 feet and quit.

So, I went to the small operations office in the airport building.
Guy was great ... let me use the phone to call the dealer.Â*Â* Dealer
says he can't do anything ... I have to call Roadside Assistance
first.Â* Called that number and after going through long, menu driven
options, got to talk to someone.Â* Explained what was going on and she
said they could send a truck to give me a jump.Â* Told her I don't need
a jump ... battery is fine because it started using the remote.Â* Only
option left was to send a flatbed and deliver it back at the
dealership, 7 miles away.Â* She said she's send me a text when the
arrangements were confirmed.Â* Reminded her that I didn't have my cell
phone so we agreed she'd call the operations office and leave a
message for me.Â* Ok.

Just as I was hanging up it dawned on me what the problem was likely
to be.Â* Went back out to the truck, unlocked the door, got in, put the
key in and it started right up and ran normally.

Have you figured it out yet?

Here's what happened:

When I stopped in the parking lot I just shut the ignition off but
didn't open the door.Â* The wind was blowing so hard, rocking the truck
that it set off the anti-theft system which prevents the truck from
starting.Â* It's also why the remote would start it (twice) but then it
would die a few seconds later.

Not sure what resets it.Â* Maybe it's just time or maybe it was cycling
the door locks, but it now runs fine again.

Your next vehicle should be a 1961 Valiant. These new vehicles are too
high tech for you.Â*Â*

I think I agree. I've never "set" the alarm system on this truck so I
had no clue as to how it works. I've read since. It resets
automatically after 10 minutes or by hitting the "unlock" on the FOB.

On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 17:51:57 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

[...]

If it is like the anti theft on my Honda, there is a light that comes
on the dash that says "alarm" when the computer is locking out the
engine. I had a bad chip in a key that kicked my ass for a while.

wrote:

[...]

Could be. It's confusing when you don't expect it. The truck has a
light that blinks if the alarm is on on the dash also but I've never
seen it blink, mainly because I've never set the alarm.

I might be something else but I can't get it out of my head that it
happened right after the wind was really rocking the truck. It's been
fine since. I looked on-line and apparently there "is" an issue with
GMC/Chevy trucks and cars with what is called the "Passport" system
which is what controls the alarm/ignition. If it happens again it goes
back to the dealer.

wrote:

[...]

The trick might be to just rock the hell out of the truck while it is
parked, unlocked to see if you can reproduce the situation.
Get one of Mrs E's horses to help ;-)
You may actually be on to something but I am not sure how all of these
alarm/lock out systems work. I have set the one off on Judy's Lincoln
a few times opening a door that it did not expect. That is tough on
the neighbors if I am out in the driveway and don't have the key to
turn it off.

On 1/28/2018 12:19 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 21:33:37 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

The reason I initially jumped to the alarm system being set off by the
wind rocking the truck is because the second time I started it with the
remote, the horn started sounding. It didn't sound the first time I
tried starting it with the remote. That's a little confusing. But it
could be that the sensors that sense "movement" were set off but not the
rest of the alarm ... mainly because the alarm system wasn't even turned on.

Agawa Canyon Ellis Veech Tall Ship Photos 0 September 2nd 08 01:45 AM
Grand Canyon pix Bill Tuthill General 14 December 20th 05 05:37 PM
many shirts truly believe the pretty canyon Francine ASA 0 April 22nd 05 01:08 PM
Grand Canyon Joe ASA 1 January 4th 05 08:32 PM
Grand Canyon Dave Manby General 15 November 4th 04 10:35 AM