Mr. Luddite[_4_] Mr. Luddite[_4_] is offline

Default GMC Canyon

Here's one for ya:

I stopped in at the Plymouth Municipal Airport this afternoon. I like
to stop there once in a while, especially on windy days, and watch to
small, private aircraft trying to land. Wind was really blowing and
gusting exceptionally strong today.

So, I pull into the empty parking lot, turn off the truck, and just sat
there for a while listening to the radio and watching for airplanes.
Didn't get out of the truck or open the door.

Wind was really blowing with gusts that made the truck rock from side to
side. Became obvious that nobody would be crazy enough to fly today, so
I decided to leave. I put the key in the ignition, went to start it and
.... nothing. Just a "clunk" but the engine wouldn't turn over. All
dash lights were normal.

Tried again, making sure I was doing all the things you do without
thinking ... foot on the brake when starting, transmission in Park.

Nothing. Clunk.

Tried starting in neutral. Clunk. Nothing.

I should mention that at this point I realized I didn't have my cell
phone with me.

Tried again .. Clunk.

Got a brainstorm ... used the remote start on the FOB. Truck started
right up, ran for 3 seconds and quit. (You listening, John?)

Tried it again with the remote. Started up and I immediately put it in
Drive. Truck moved about 6 feet and quit.

So, I went to the small operations office in the airport building. Guy
was great ... let me use the phone to call the dealer. Dealer says he
can't do anything ... I have to call Roadside Assistance first. Called
that number and after going through long, menu driven options, got to
talk to someone. Explained what was going on and she said they could
send a truck to give me a jump. Told her I don't need a jump ...
battery is fine because it started using the remote. Only option left
was to send a flatbed and deliver it back at the dealership, 7 miles
away. She said she's send me a text when the arrangements were
confirmed. Reminded her that I didn't have my cell phone so we agreed
she'd call the operations office and leave a message for me. Ok.

Just as I was hanging up it dawned on me what the problem was likely to
be. Went back out to the truck, unlocked the door, got in, put the key
in and it started right up and ran normally.

Have you figured it out yet?

Here's what happened:

When I stopped in the parking lot I just shut the ignition off but
didn't open the door. The wind was blowing so hard, rocking the truck
that it set off the anti-theft system which prevents the truck from
starting. It's also why the remote would start it (twice) but then it
would die a few seconds later.

Not sure what resets it. Maybe it's just time or maybe it was cycling
the door locks, but it now runs fine again.