Jlhornsby

Default '89 Chaparral 198XL overheat problem

I have an '89 Chaparral 198XL w/ 5.0L Mercruiser 305 and Alpha I outdrive.
Ususlly performs great, but after the boat sat for approximately 6 weeks, I did
some work rewiring the nav lights. This rewiring may be unimportant, but you
never know. Put the boat back in the water, the temp guage didn't work and the
temp buzzer went off after a few minutes of run-time. So far, I've replaced
the Thermostat the temp guage. Now, the temp guage climbs as the motor warms
up, but never breaks 200. Then the temp guage falls back about 50 degrees and
the temp buzzer goes off. About 2-3 years ago, had a new water pump installed.
Probably less than 30 hours on it since then. Not sure where else to go with
this. Thanks for any suggestions?

Paul

My reply won't help your current problem, sorry.

This ties in with the other thread where we were discussing engine overheat
alarms. I mentioned that mine does not sound in the "key on, power off"
position until after a delay.

I had assumed that the delay was built into the test circuit but if the
system you mention below is similar to mine then it sounds like the delay is
built into the entire circuit.

the temp guage didn't work and the
temp buzzer went off after a few minutes of run-time.

Anyone happen to know for sure about this? Mine is also an '89 Mercruiser.

"Jlhornsby" wrote in message
[...]

Lawrence James

If you cooling system uses raw water then normal temp should be around
140-150. It sounds like maybe you're thermostat is sticking. Or something
did not get assembled correctly when when you put the new one in maybe? New
water pump was the pump in the lower unit? Or the recirculating pump on the
front of the engine?

"Jlhornsby" wrote in message
[...]

Is problem with O-Ring Seal or Valve Body Rural Knight General 10 December 7th 04 07:39 PM
fuel delivery problem on outboard? help Russell Hermansen General 9 October 7th 03 01:40 AM
Johnson outboard problem Garland Gray II General 10 October 3rd 03 06:45 PM
back with a problem now Nancy General 14 August 2nd 03 04:43 AM
Yamaha 60 rpm problem Barry Chapman General 0 July 12th 03 09:48 PM