Jlhornsby

Default '89 Chaparral 198XL overheat problem

I have an '89 Chaparral 198XL w/ 5.0L Mercruiser 305 and Alpha I outdrive.
Ususlly performs great, but after the boat sat for approximately 6 weeks, I did
some work rewiring the nav lights. This rewiring may be unimportant, but you
never know. Put the boat back in the water, the temp guage didn't work and the
temp buzzer went off after a few minutes of run-time. So far, I've replaced
the Thermostat the temp guage. Now, the temp guage climbs as the motor warms
up, but never breaks 200. Then the temp guage falls back about 50 degrees and
the temp buzzer goes off. About 2-3 years ago, had a new water pump installed.
Probably less than 30 hours on it since then. Not sure where else to go with
this. Thanks for any suggestions?