Paul

Default '89 Chaparral 198XL overheat problem

My reply won't help your current problem, sorry.

This ties in with the other thread where we were discussing engine overheat
alarms. I mentioned that mine does not sound in the "key on, power off"
position until after a delay.

I had assumed that the delay was built into the test circuit but if the
system you mention below is similar to mine then it sounds like the delay is
built into the entire circuit.

the temp guage didn't work and the
temp buzzer went off after a few minutes of run-time.

Anyone happen to know for sure about this? Mine is also an '89 Mercruiser.

"Jlhornsby" wrote in message
I have an '89 Chaparral 198XL w/ 5.0L Mercruiser 305 and Alpha I outdrive.
Ususlly performs great, but after the boat sat for approximately 6 weeks,

I did
some work rewiring the nav lights. This rewiring may be unimportant, but

you
never know. Put the boat back in the water, the temp guage didn't work

and the
temp buzzer went off after a few minutes of run-time. So far, I've

replaced
the Thermostat the temp guage. Now, the temp guage climbs as the motor

warms
up, but never breaks 200. Then the temp guage falls back about 50 degrees

and
the temp buzzer goes off. About 2-3 years ago, had a new water pump

installed.
Probably less than 30 hours on it since then. Not sure where else to go

with
this. Thanks for any suggestions?