Default Beethoven's 5th...

....first movement must have been way too much for you, eh Harry. Old Ludwig got quite 'bombastic'
there. Oh, maybe you found a nice, peaceful version played on a piano, eh?

My favorite version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7NL6CmUC94

Sounds a bit better, but not much, on the original Telarc CD.

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 13:43:41 -0500, John H
wrote:

...first movement must have been way too much for you, eh Harry. Old Ludwig got quite 'bombastic'
there. Oh, maybe you found a nice, peaceful version played on a piano, eh?

My favorite version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7NL6CmUC94

Sounds a bit better, but not much, on the original Telarc CD.

===

Nice, hadn't listened to the 5th in a while, but always a musical
treat. It's also a reminder of how YouTube has become a massive
personal jukebox of sorts, and almost totally eliminated the need for
maintaing a big private music collection. I must have close to a
thousand CDs that haven't been listened to in years. Should I try to
sell them, along with my many hundreds of vinyl LPs that haven't been
out of the packing boxes for over 25 years? Is there a market for
that sort of thing? Right now they are going to waste, and I doubt if
my kids would want them. The grand children wouldn't even know what
they were.

---
http://www.avg.com

wrote:

[...]

The CDs won't bring much, in my experience. The LPs can, depending on their condition and "subject matter". There are still a lot of collectors and music purists who prefer analog and will pay for classic vinyl. If you took care of them, played them on decent equipment so they aren't scratched and worn out, and stored them so they aren't warped, you may have a small treasure on your hands.

wrote:

[...]

We donated boxes of CDs and VHS movies and DVD movies to a vets'
retirement home. Doubt there is a desire these days for VHS media.

wrote:

[...]

That is the sort of thing you can get pretty cheap on MP3 or one of
the "loss less" formats (maybe even free). I don't have any music on
little bits of plastic these days and I doubt my grand kids would even
know what they were for.
64 gig thumb drives are cheap and will hold about 20,000 songs. You
would need a pickup truck to carry that many records. (a stack of LPs
about 8-10 feet high)

Tim Tim is offline

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 13:43:41 -0500, John H
===

Nice, hadn't listened to the 5th in a while, but always a musical
treat. It's also a reminder of how YouTube has become a massive
personal jukebox of sorts, and almost totally eliminated the need for
maintaing a big private music collection. I must have close to a
thousand CDs that haven't been listened to in years. Should I try to
sell them, along with my many hundreds of vinyl LPs that haven't been
out of the packing boxes for over 25 years? Is there a market for
that sort of thing? Right now they are going to waste, and I doubt if
my kids would want them. The grand children wouldn't even know what
they were.

---
http://www.avg.com

I have a collection of LPs which occasionally I’ll throw ion my turntable. But my prize is a large collection of some 300 + Bakelite 78s that I’ll listen to on the Victrola

wrote:

[...]

My daughter is a Pediatric Therapist. Mostly autism. She took in her
Fisher-Price record player years ago to her office. Little kid looked at
the record, large size, not 45, and exclaimed as that was the biggest CD he
ever saw. Cute.

wrote:

[...]

Great questlion! Just this morning I was wondering what to do with my CDs. I've got all the early
Telarc CDs, before they got carried away with junk. Not as many as you've got, though. I gave a
hundred or so to my daughters a couple years back.

That's a funny coincidence.

I'll probably donate mine to Purple Heart. On Ebay, the Telarc classicals are going for $3-9. Not
worth the hassle. If I had a large vinyl collection I might try putting them on Ebay, by genre, as a
collection. But a couple hundred bucks may not be worth the hassle either!

wrote:

[...]

Ebay is really not that much of a hassle but I know what you mean. I
ended up giving away hundreds of albums a few years ago and I am sure
they ended up on Ebay or at a flea market. For some people, two bucks
is two bucks. I just did not know which ones might end up being $20 or
more. I put them on craigs list for free and a young couple scooped
them up, oooing and aahing over a few. They seemed most excited over
albums from people I never heard of.

wrote:

[...]

When we moved two years ago I had four boxes full of vinyls, many of
them that Mrs.E. and I had collected over the years (before CD's came
out) and many from my dad's collection from the 40's, 50's and early
60's. We put them out in a couple of yard sales we had trying to
lighten the amount of "stuff" we had. No takers on any of them. Killed
me but I ended up tossing them all in the dumpster. Selling on eBay
wasn't even a consideration. It's a pain to sell. Easy to buy.