Default Far OT for my creative friends.

On 1/15/2018 9:19 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 20:45:21 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 1/15/18 8:32 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 18:24:22 -0500,

wrote:

It has been pointed out to me that you can just get a "visualization"
file for a MP3 player that does this exact thing on a big screen TV.

===

Yes, but it wouldn't synchronize with your music.

Why not if it was the MP3 player generating the visualization?
That is what visualizations are. Usually they are so complex the
linkage to the music is not immediately apparent.

Don't forget the water fountains that are synchronized to the Muzak, er,
music, that you enjoy.

That is another strange thing that fascinates me. I have thought about
trying to make something like that for the pool since I have a pump
going anyway. The trick is finding valves that open and close fast
enough. The diaphragm valves in washing machines, sprinkler systems
and ice makers won't cut it.
I don't know if Wayne noticed it but I am roughed in for a fountain or
waterfall sort of thing in a corner of the pool already. There us an
additional 2" and 3/4" pipe going there, in addition to a return from
the pool pump that is on a valve now. (pipe is cheap and easy to put
in when the ground is open. Later not so much)

I did make a water cannon (Bellagio style) that would shoot a quart
sized slug of water across the river once for my neighbor. He wanted
to wet down people speeding in the no wake. He never actually had the
chance to use it tho. The diaphragm style 1" sprinkler valve was fine
for that but I was unloading a tank of air, not the water itself. The
water was sitting in a pipe in the river. A couple of cubic feet of
100 PSI air gave it quite a ride. Thanks to "Modern Marvels" I found
out that is how Bellagio does it.

The fountain systems I am aware of are controlled by a MIDI program
where you can synchronize the valve operations to the music as MIDI
"events".

You can adjust when they occur time-wise relative to the music to adjust
for any delays or for desired timing. For example, an event to turn on
a water valve could occur prior to the time you want the fountain flow
to peak relative to the music.

Most of (if not all) of the elaborate Christmas displays on homes and
landscaping that are synchronized to music is done using a MIDI program
and controller.

On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 22:06:44 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 1/15/2018 9:19 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 20:45:21 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Yup. I had an IBM buddy who was on the leading edge of this MIDI
thing, putting together light shows for bands on old IBM DOS PCs.
Compared to WAV or even MP3, a MIDI is a tiny file. He got started
using it to build a piano tuner program that he ran on a "luggable"
5162 (basically a full sized PC/AT with a handle on it). Once he got
started he saw the possibilities. This guy took one of the original
early outs and I lost track of him.

On 1/15/2018 11:26 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 22:06:44 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 1/15/2018 9:19 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 20:45:21 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

The synthesized sound generators in early MIDI systems were pretty poor.
Instruments really didn't sound authentic at all and they had a very
phony sound. But today, using sampled sounds of actual instruments the
sound generators are very good. Some of the most highly rated, and used
keyboards by professionals and bands today (like the Yamaha MOXF8) can
produce sounds that are not distinguishable from the real thing. Here's
a video of the Yamaha MOXF8. The concert piano sound starts about 50
seconds into the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ZgiIbfUNw

This is a Yamaha P-115. It uses a lesser version of the sound engine
used in the more expensive Yamaha keyboards. I bought one of these for
Mrs.E. It's not bad for a relatively inexpensive keyboard for home use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GamF6mSkgFY

Mrs.E. loves listening to piano music but she doesn't really play (nor
do I). I download MIDI piano files from the Internet onto a thumbdrive
for her to listen to, playing on her P-115.

On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 7:06:33 AM UTC-5, John H wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 20:40:44 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 18:54:03 -0500, John H
wrote:

No way would I ever buy one. I see people at the range with those things and laugh my ass off.
They'll shine them at a target and watch them bounce around. In a few seconds they must get
embarrassed and shut 'em off. Never to be seen again.

Lasers are not intended for slow fire bullseye shooting. They are
really for quick point and shoot situations or times when you can't
establish your normal hold or sight picture. (weak hand shooting from
behind cover or something)
I had one on my Ruger KP90 for a while and took it off. It seemed like
more of a distraction than a help. This was an early one that did not
really have great switch operation tho. I forgot about it until now.
That might be a good laser to play with for this project.

I think folks are fooled by the movies. They see the little red dot show up on someone's forehead or
chest, very still and perfectly centered, and think, "By damn, that's what I need!"

Saw a show last night with a person "on the run" in a town square, and a still red dot appeared on his chest. A guy came up to him and told him a sniper had him in his sights so he'd better give up the goods.

Heh. At long range a sniper would *not* be using a red dot. Of course, Hollywood suppressors also barely make a sound. Limousine liberals believe all this stuff.

wrote:

No way would I ever buy one. I see people at the range with those things and laugh my ass off.
They'll shine them at a target and watch them bounce around. In a few seconds they must get
embarrassed and shut 'em off. Never to be seen again.

Lasers are not intended for slow fire bullseye shooting. They are
really for quick point and shoot situations or times when you can't
establish your normal hold or sight picture. (weak hand shooting from
behind cover or something)
I had one on my Ruger KP90 for a while and took it off. It seemed like
more of a distraction than a help. This was an early one that did not
really have great switch operation tho. I forgot about it until now.
That might be a good laser to play with for this project.

I've never had a laser sight, but I do have a laser sighting in kit, and
it does what it is supposed to do...it speeds up the process of sighting
in a firearm that's new to you, or sighting in a new red dot or scope. I
change out and swap around the add-on sights on my rifles, and the
sighting in kit makes it easy-peasy to get right on paper.

CZ does a very good job of sighting in its firearms before it ships
them. I was shooting bullseyes with the SCORP right out of the box with
the "iron" sights.

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 07:12:58 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 1/15/2018 11:26 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 22:06:44 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 1/15/2018 9:19 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 20:45:21 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Like everything in the computer biz MIDI has become a whole lot
better. My buddy was just amazed at how well he could reproduce and
analyse the sound he needed to tune a piano. I don't really know much
about the process. I just helped him on the computer hardware side.
Electronic instruments are certainly better too. We have come a long
way from Max Crook's electronic keyboard on "Runaway" but at the time
we thought it was magic. He certainly managed to take a mediocre
bubble gum song to the top of the charts with it.

wrote:

[...]

I have always had pretty good luck with the factory sights. It never
ocurred to me they would be that far off. Precision shooting with iron
sights is more art than science anyway.
My 2 "target" pistols (a target model Woodsman and a OM Colt 38) have
the Micro adjustible rear sight and I have tweaked them a bit.
My .44 Ruger Carbine had scope mounts but I always thought a scope
sort of defeated the purpose of a fast handling little carbine. A red
dot might be appropriate. I just never used it enough to justify the
cost. The 4+1 ammo capacity sort of limits its usefullness.

wrote:

[...]

I saw that also. I was thinking of it when I wrote the sentences above. 'Blindspot', I think.

wrote:

[...]

Well of course. I mean, after all, it is *you* you're talking about, right?

Hello All my friends New Embroidery Designs Cruising 0 January 24th 12 02:15 PM
Creative nerds JohnH[_5_] General 0 October 2nd 09 04:34 PM
Hii.. Friends magi ASA 0 March 17th 08 02:28 PM
Creative ways to get something for nothing. Wilbur Hubbard Cruising 29 May 29th 07 01:30 PM
Creative ways to get something for nothing. Wilbur Hubbard ASA 32 May 29th 07 01:30 PM