Default The Truck!

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 17:57:23 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 1/12/2018 5:53 PM, John H wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 17:27:27 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 1/12/2018 5:08 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 16:22:17 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 1/12/18 3:20 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 11:39:33 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 1/12/18 10:10 AM, justan wrote:
Keyser Soze Wrote in message:
On 1/11/18 10:28 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 21:35:57 -0500 (EST), justan wrote:

Use an impact wrench, They spin right off.

I'd be willing to bet that Harry doesn't have one.

Probably not. I have 5, 2 electric and 3 air.

I have a pneumatic impact wrench, two in fact, one of which I have owned
for more than 40 years.

Do ye hav a compressor?

No, **** for brains, I bottle up the hot air you dump here and use it to
power the impact wrench.

Yes, I have a compressor. I've had one for 15 years.

===

So you went 25 years with an impact wrench that you could not use?

---

When we closed up the boat store, I took all the small tools. Never had
occasion to use that impact wrench, and I've only used the one that came
with my compressor once. I don't change a lot of tires.

... or do much of anything else that we see. You should sell or donate
those tools to someone who will use them.

An impact wrench is fine for loosening and removing stubborn wheel lugs
on a car/truck but is not recommended for putting the lugs back on
unless you are really careful and have a means to set it's torque.
Common problems are inadvertently cross threading the lug on the stud
and over-torquing the lug that can result in a warped rotor.

Whenever I have tire work done, on the truck or the trailer, I ask them to adjust the torque on the
impact wrenches. It's not a problem, but the mechanics don't seem to think about it. More is better
seems to be their belief.

I had a set of tires put on by a knucklehead who didn't know how to use
an impact wrench. That's when I learned that over-torquing the lugs can
warp the rotor.

And crack an aluminum wheel.

wrote:

On 1/12/2018 5:08 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 16:22:17 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

You can do it but set the impact to a fairly low torque setting,
finish with a torque wrench observing the star pattern and always
start the nuts by hand, giving they a turn or two to be sure you are
good.
I lube everything up pretty good before I even set the wheel up there.
It makes things easier next time. These alloy wheels can pretty much
corrosion weld themselves to the spindle if you don't.

On Friday, 12 January 2018 18:27:33 UTC-4, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 1/12/2018 5:08 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 16:22:17 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Bingo!
My son and I remove the previous season's tires to install the next season's tires twice a year. I bought a long 1/2 inch breaker bar to easily loosen the lug nuts.. then use a speed type socket wrench to start the lug nuts back on ...finishing with my torque wrench. Always goes smoothly..especially after I bought the proper deep socket for his Charger. I also have the proper deep metric socket for my Highlander but only used it once after buying new Michelins from Costco. Saved me taking the Highlander back to them after 140 kilometers for a re-tighten.

On 1/12/2018 5:08 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 16:22:17 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

They usually warp the rotor by not bring the lug nuts in the star
pattern, going around the star several times before they are actually
tight. I had that happen at a tire store and I thought I really had
trouble but just loosening them up and torquing them the right way
fixed it.

On 1/12/2018 5:08 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 16:22:17 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Alloy wheels and disk brakes is what made this "torque" business
become important. You could get away with a lot of stuff back in the
old steel wheel days. If you don't get alloy wheels tight enough, they
fall off ... BTDT and too tight is almost as bad even if they are
tightened in sequence.

On 1/12/2018 5:08 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 16:22:17 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Starting the nuts by hand is the safest way to do it.

Your 'truck gun' and you... John H[_2_] General 0 December 23rd 17 10:08 PM
New truck? John H[_2_] General 117 October 20th 10 09:18 PM
Finally - a truck boat...or boat truck...or something... Tom Francis - SWSports General 0 October 17th 09 05:55 PM
What truck? Frogwatch General 79 September 13th 07 07:06 AM
Big Truck Day! Donal ASA 1 July 28th 03 10:39 AM