John H[_2_] John H[_2_] is offline

Default The Truck!

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 19:49:34 -0800 (PST), True North wrote:

On Friday, 12 January 2018 18:27:33 UTC-4, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 1/12/2018 5:08 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 16:22:17 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 1/12/18 3:20 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 11:39:33 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 1/12/18 10:10 AM, justan wrote:
Keyser Soze Wrote in message:
On 1/11/18 10:28 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 21:35:57 -0500 (EST), justan wrote:

Use an impact wrench, They spin right off.

I'd be willing to bet that Harry doesn't have one.

Probably not. I have 5, 2 electric and 3 air.

I have a pneumatic impact wrench, two in fact, one of which I have owned
for more than 40 years.

Do ye hav a compressor?

No, **** for brains, I bottle up the hot air you dump here and use it to
power the impact wrench.

Yes, I have a compressor. I've had one for 15 years.

===

So you went 25 years with an impact wrench that you could not use?

---

When we closed up the boat store, I took all the small tools. Never had
occasion to use that impact wrench, and I've only used the one that came
with my compressor once. I don't change a lot of tires.

... or do much of anything else that we see. You should sell or donate
those tools to someone who will use them.

An impact wrench is fine for loosening and removing stubborn wheel lugs
on a car/truck but is not recommended for putting the lugs back on
unless you are really careful and have a means to set it's torque.
Common problems are inadvertently cross threading the lug on the stud
and over-torquing the lug that can result in a warped rotor.

Bingo!
My son and I remove the previous season's tires to install the next season's tires twice a year. I bought a long 1/2 inch breaker bar to easily loosen the lug nuts.. then use a speed type socket wrench to start the lug nuts back on ...finishing with my torque wrench. Always goes smoothly..especially after I bought the proper deep socket for his Charger. I also have the proper deep metric socket for my Highlander but only used it once after buying new Michelins from Costco. Saved me taking the Highlander back to them after 140 kilometers for a re-tighten.

Starting the nuts by hand is the safest way to do it.