Default Luddite, Its Me, Bill, Justan etc...

So I did what Luddite said. Disconnected the pos line, let her sit a bit, reconnected. Got same
readings with additional ABS code. Remote did the same thing.

Tried remote again...nothing. Tried to start truck with ignition switch and key...only a few rrr's.
Tried again. Nothing...only a click. I'd just recharged the battery yesterday, so I'm stumped. Put
charger back on battery. Reading went from 12+ down to 2.4 volts and stabilized. Left charger on. In
a few minutes the charger was displaying an error code. Tried jumping with wife's car. Nothing. Got
****ed...almost blew up the f'ing truck.

Went to the Dr for a cough. Came back, thought I'd try the charger again. This time it started at
13+ volts and stayed there. Soon it displayed 'charged'. Tried the starter. Truck started right up.

No more 'ctrl-alt-del'. Had me almost calling a tow truck.

On 1/8/2018 5:53 PM, John H wrote:
So I did what Luddite said. Disconnected the pos line, let her sit a bit, reconnected. Got same
readings with additional ABS code. Remote did the same thing.

Tried remote again...nothing. Tried to start truck with ignition switch and key...only a few rrr's.
Tried again. Nothing...only a click. I'd just recharged the battery yesterday, so I'm stumped. Put
charger back on battery. Reading went from 12+ down to 2.4 volts and stabilized. Left charger on. In
a few minutes the charger was displaying an error code. Tried jumping with wife's car. Nothing. Got
****ed...almost blew up the f'ing truck.

Went to the Dr for a cough. Came back, thought I'd try the charger again. This time it started at
13+ volts and stayed there. Soon it displayed 'charged'. Tried the starter. Truck started right up.

No more 'ctrl-alt-del'. Had me almost calling a tow truck.

John, there's no way disconnecting the battery and reconnecting can do
any harm.

Based on what you did, the charger "error" and the readings, it points
to one thing:

You have a bad battery. Open cell or cells that are shorted.

On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 6:20:57 PM UTC-5, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 1/8/2018 5:53 PM, John H wrote:
[...]

One variable I'll throw in is that the battery connections can get corroded and develop a high resistance. Unless you clean them when removing, you "could" have had a bad connection when re-connected, and weird results when charging/starting.

Pay the man.

On 1/8/2018 5:53 PM, John H wrote:
[...]

Maybe one battery is bad. You have to,disconnect both positive lines, or
negative lines.

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 18:20:51 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 1/8/2018 5:53 PM, John H wrote:
[...]

Well, I just checked. The batteries are four years old. Maybe it's time for new ones. Will get them
checked also.

On 1/8/2018 5:53 PM, John H wrote:
[...]

===

Good idea. Four years is approaching end of useful life and cold
weather will always bring out the worst in batteries.

---
http://www.avg.com

On 1/8/2018 5:53 PM, John H wrote:
[...]

Especially a diesel in cold weather. Quite a drain on older batteries
when starting. Been there, done that.

wrote:

On 1/8/2018 5:53 PM, John H wrote:
[...]

You have a bad battery.Â* Open cell or cells that are shorted.

Well, I just checked. The batteries are four years old. Maybe it's
time for new ones. Will get them
checked also.

===

Good idea.Â* Four years is approaching end of useful life and cold
weather will always bring out the worst in batteries.

Especially a diesel in cold weather.Â* Quite a drain on older batteries
when starting.Â* Been there, done that.

Wait, wait, wait...this entire thread is the result of a dying battery?
Too ****ing funny.

wrote:

On 1/8/2018 5:53 PM, John H wrote:
[...]

Try to pay attention. The remote start problem is because the engine
is throwing codes. Evidently they do not want an unattended engine
running with a known problem. I think that may have been disclosed
early on, based on what other people reported on the Duramax
discussion boards. The battery problem showed up later.

wrote:

On 1/8/2018 5:53 PM, John H wrote:
[...]

~~Snerk~~
A battery can lose 40% of it's power when the temperature drops way down to 0 or so. My recommending a battery blanket and block heater would keep the battery's strength up and make the engine easier to turn over. Those southern boys sure are hard headed.

Yo, Justan Mr. Luddite[_4_] General 37 September 22nd 17 02:15 AM
Yo, Justan ... Mr. Luddite[_4_] General 0 August 10th 17 09:04 PM
Yo Bill, Wayne, Greg and Luddite Poco Deplorevole General 16 April 26th 17 05:36 PM
Yo Justan. Poco Deplorevole General 1 April 17th 17 01:50 PM
Yo Calif Bill and Luddite John H.[_5_] General 2 October 3rd 15 07:11 AM