Default A little nippy ...

On Saturday, 30 December 2017 08:02:21 UTC-4, justan wrote:
True North Wrote in message:
On Friday, 29 December 2017 20:32:03 UTC-4, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 12/29/2017 7:21 PM, Alex wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:

Rethinking my early morning Dunkin' Donuts run.

4 degrees F. right now with a wind chill of minus 5-10.

Got remote start on that Colorado?

Thankfully, yes. This morning I let it run through two complete, 10
minute warm up cycles before I ventured out. Temp had actually dropped
another degree to 3.

Below a certain temp the remote starter also automatically turns on the
seat heater which is nice. Makes a big difference!

From what I've read...warming up while sitting idling isn't good for the vehicle or the environment. They say it's better to drive away slowly for the first 5-10 minutes.
I have a dedicated long extension cord that I use to plug in the block heater. I bought an electric battery blanket also but haven't installed it yet.
An hour before I go anywhere on mornings below -10C, I throw the inside switch that controls 2 of my 3 outside plugs. The Highlander starts easily and warms up much faster.

None of my local auto parts stores sell block heaters or electric
battery blankets. Did you get yours on line?

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Every half decent auto parts or hardware store carries block heaters.
When I bought the RAV4 in 2009, I insisted that they throw in a block heater along with other accessories. My 2013 Highlander already came equipped with one.

On 12/30/2017 9:22 AM, True North wrote:
On Saturday, 30 December 2017 08:29:43 UTC-4, Mr. Luddite wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:

Rethinking my early morning Dunkin' Donuts run.

4 degrees F. right now with a wind chill of minus 5-10.

Got remote start on that Colorado?

Thankfully, yes. This morning I let it run through two complete, 10
minute warm up cycles before I ventured out. Temp had actually dropped
another degree to 3.

Below a certain temp the remote starter also automatically turns on the
seat heater which is nice. Makes a big difference!

From what I've read...warming up while sitting idling isn't good for the vehicle or the environment. They say it's better to drive away slowly for the first 5-10 minutes.
I have a dedicated long extension cord that I use to plug in the block heater. I bought an electric battery blanket also but haven't installed it yet.
An hour before I go anywhere on mornings below -10C, I throw the inside switch that controls 2 of my 3 outside plugs. The Highlander starts easily and warms up much faster.

Car manufacturers used to warn about idling a car for long periods
because it was bad for the catalytic converter. Don't know if that's
true anymore as remote starters in cold climates have become very
popular. I don't have a garage and when you use the remote start it
also turns on the windshield and rear window defroster full blast.
Without that benefit, I'd be sitting in the driveway for a while anyway
waiting to see where I was going.

In any event I only use it on these very cold mornings. My total drive
to and from the local Dunkin's is only 10 minutes and I like doing it
without freezing my ass off.

I wish I could remember to use my remote start when my car has
been baking under the hot Florida sun.

I became curious again after reading Don's comments about remote
starters and read several reviews and query's regarding if their use to
warm up the engine for a bit before driving in extreme cold weather is
bad for the car. Turns out, it's a myth, based on older engine
technology.

In reality, warming the engine up a bit before driving is actually
better for the engine than just starting it and driving slowly. If you
do the latter, the engine is actually working harder than normal under
load, is using more gas and is less efficient emission control wise than
if you let it warm up a bit at idle under little load.

I wouldn't bother with block heaters unless I had a diesel.

My purpose is to lessen engine wear due to cold starting and the problem with thicker oil trying to coat and apply lubrication to frozen internal parts. I believe the block heater helps with this. I'm more interested in the long engine life of my vehicles than my own comfort.
On the other hand I do try to dress properly when going out in temperatures lower than -8 C. That is..undershirt, flannel shirt, fleece layer and winter coat. Even wear mitts if walking the dog.

It's only a car (or truck). Occasional use of the remote starter to
warm it up isn't going to do an measurable wear or harm to the engine.
Even if you start a car at 70 degrees (F) for the first time, it's a
"cold" start. I am more interested in not freezing my ass off for the
first 10 miles.

Mr. Luddite wrote:

Rethinking my early morning Dunkin' Donuts run.

4 degrees F. right now with a wind chill of minus 5-10.

Got remote start on that Colorado?

Thankfully, yes. This morning I let it run through two complete, 10
minute warm up cycles before I ventured out. Temp had actually dropped
another degree to 3.

Below a certain temp the remote starter also automatically turns on the
seat heater which is nice. Makes a big difference!

From what I've read...warming up while sitting idling isn't good for
the vehicle or the environment. They say it's better to drive away
slowly for the first 5-10 minutes.
[...]

How can live in that environment? ;(

Mr. Luddite wrote:

Rethinking my early morning Dunkin' Donuts run.

4 degrees F. right now with a wind chill of minus 5-10.

Got remote start on that Colorado?

Thankfully, yes. This morning I let it run through two complete, 10
minute warm up cycles before I ventured out. Temp had actually dropped
another degree to 3.

Below a certain temp the remote starter also automatically turns on the
seat heater which is nice. Makes a big difference!

From what I've read...warming up while sitting idling isn't good for the vehicle or the environment. They say it's better to drive away slowly for the first 5-10 minutes.
[...]

Machines are meant to serve man, not vice versa.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Mr. Luddite wrote:

Rethinking my early morning Dunkin' Donuts run.

4 degrees F. right now with a wind chill of minus 5-10.

Got remote start on that Colorado?

Thankfully, yes. This morning I let it run through two complete, 10
minute warm up cycles before I ventured out. Temp had actually dropped
another degree to 3.

Below a certain temp the remote starter also automatically turns on the
seat heater which is nice. Makes a big difference!

From what I've read...warming up while sitting idling isn't good for the vehicle or the environment. They say it's better to drive away slowly for the first 5-10 minutes.
I have a dedicated long extension cord that I use to plug in the block heater. I bought an electric battery blanket also but haven't installed it yet.
An hour before I go anywhere on mornings below -10C, I throw the inside switch that controls 2 of my 3 outside plugs. The Highlander starts easily and warms up much faster.

None of my local auto parts stores sell block heaters or electric
battery blankets. Did you get yours on line?

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Every half decent auto parts or hardware store carries block heaters.
When I bought the RAV4 in 2009, I insisted that they throw in a block heater along with other accessories. My 2013 Highlander already came equipped with one.

Fraid not. In fact, it's difficult to find a snow shovel south of
the Mason/Dixon line.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Mr. Luddite wrote:

Rethinking my early morning Dunkin' Donuts run.

4 degrees F. right now with a wind chill of minus 5-10.

Got remote start on that Colorado?

Thankfully, yes. This morning I let it run through two complete, 10
minute warm up cycles before I ventured out. Temp had actually dropped
another degree to 3.

Below a certain temp the remote starter also automatically turns on the
seat heater which is nice. Makes a big difference!

From what I've read...warming up while sitting idling isn't good for the vehicle or the environment. They say it's better to drive away slowly for the first 5-10 minutes.
[...]

If I went to all that trouble to run down to Dunkin's to get coffee, I
may as well ride one of Mrs.E's horses.

I like being warm.

Mr. Luddite wrote:

Rethinking my early morning Dunkin' Donuts run.

4 degrees F. right now with a wind chill of minus 5-10.

Got remote start on that Colorado?

Thankfully, yes. This morning I let it run through two complete, 10
minute warm up cycles before I ventured out. Temp had actually dropped
another degree to 3.

Below a certain temp the remote starter also automatically turns on the
seat heater which is nice. Makes a big difference!

From what I've read...warming up while sitting idling isn't good for the vehicle or the environment. They say it's better to drive away slowly for the first 5-10 minutes.
I have a dedicated long extension cord that I use to plug in the block heater. I bought an electric battery blanket also but haven't installed it yet.
An hour before I go anywhere on mornings below -10C, I throw the inside switch that controls 2 of my 3 outside plugs. The Highlander starts easily and warms up much faster.

None of my local auto parts stores sell block heaters or electric
battery blankets. Did you get yours on line?

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Every half decent auto parts or hardware store carries block heaters.
When I bought the RAV4 in 2009, I insisted that they throw in a block heater along with other accessories. My 2013 Highlander already came equipped with one.

Fraid not. In fact, it's difficult to find a snow shovel south of
the Mason/Dixon line.

I'll never forget when I first travelled up north in the winter years ago on business. I walked into a home improvement type store one evening to pick up some supplies, and there was a big display up front of snow shovels. I'd never even seen one in person until then. I'm not sure I could find one locally if I tried. No need. Same for block heaters or battery blankets..

Mr. Luddite wrote:

Rethinking my early morning Dunkin' Donuts run.

4 degrees F. right now with a wind chill of minus 5-10.

Got remote start on that Colorado?

Thankfully, yes. This morning I let it run through two complete, 10
minute warm up cycles before I ventured out. Temp had actually dropped
another degree to 3.

Below a certain temp the remote starter also automatically turns on the
seat heater which is nice. Makes a big difference!

From what I've read...warming up while sitting idling isn't good for the vehicle or the environment. They say it's better to drive away slowly for the first 5-10 minutes.
[...]

You need to finally pull the trigger and move down south.

Mr. Luddite wrote:

Rethinking my early morning Dunkin' Donuts run.

4 degrees F. right now with a wind chill of minus 5-10.

Got remote start on that Colorado?

Thankfully, yes. This morning I let it run through two complete, 10
minute warm up cycles before I ventured out. Temp had actually dropped
another degree to 3.

Below a certain temp the remote starter also automatically turns on the
seat heater which is nice. Makes a big difference!

From what I've read...warming up while sitting idling isn't good for the vehicle or the environment. They say it's better to drive away slowly for the first 5-10 minutes.
[...]

Snow and extreme cold are easily avoided but some folks just grin
and bear it. More power to em.
My wife had a snow sled that we brought down to keep as a lawn
ornament. The bugs loved it. After a few years there was nothing
left but the runners.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Mr. Luddite wrote:

Rethinking my early morning Dunkin' Donuts run.

4 degrees F. right now with a wind chill of minus 5-10.

Got remote start on that Colorado?

Thankfully, yes. This morning I let it run through two complete, 10
minute warm up cycles before I ventured out. Temp had actually dropped
another degree to 3.

Below a certain temp the remote starter also automatically turns on the
seat heater which is nice. Makes a big difference!

From what I've read...warming up while sitting idling isn't good for the vehicle or the environment. They say it's better to drive away slowly for the first 5-10 minutes.
[...]

Yeah...you tell it that when you're forking out hard earned cash for maintenance and repairs.