Default A little nippy ...

On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 19:23:58 -0500, Alex wrote:

I've never turned on the heat in this house. If I did, I'm sure those
heating coils would stink like hell from non use.

When my wife was in the building and in the HVAC biz, that was a
regular call. She had people who had their air handler for 3 or 4
years and then had a fire because the tech left the book in there. It
took that long to turn it on. Mine has not been on since I built the
cabinet in the living room with the Dimplex electric fire place. The
1.4KW heater is all she ever needed, then only in the morning before I
get up.

On Friday, 29 December 2017 20:32:03 UTC-4, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 12/29/2017 7:21 PM, Alex wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:

Rethinking my early morning Dunkin' Donuts run.

4 degrees F. right now with a wind chill of minus 5-10.

Got remote start on that Colorado?

Thankfully, yes. This morning I let it run through two complete, 10
minute warm up cycles before I ventured out. Temp had actually dropped
another degree to 3.

Below a certain temp the remote starter also automatically turns on the
seat heater which is nice. Makes a big difference!

From what I've read...warming up while sitting idling isn't good for the vehicle or the environment. They say it's better to drive away slowly for the first 5-10 minutes.
I have a dedicated long extension cord that I use to plug in the block heater. I bought an electric battery blanket also but haven't installed it yet.
An hour before I go anywhere on mornings below -10C, I throw the inside switch that controls 2 of my 3 outside plugs. The Highlander starts easily and warms up much faster.

Mr. Luddite wrote:

Rethinking my early morning Dunkin' Donuts run.

4 degrees F. right now with a wind chill of minus 5-10.

Got remote start on that Colorado?

Thankfully, yes. This morning I let it run through two complete, 10
minute warm up cycles before I ventured out. Temp had actually dropped
another degree to 3.

Below a certain temp the remote starter also automatically turns on the
seat heater which is nice. Makes a big difference!

From what I've read...warming up while sitting idling isn't good for the
vehicle or the environment. They say it's better to drive away slowly
for the first 5-10 minutes.
I have a dedicated long extension cord that I use to plug in the block
heater. I bought an electric battery blanket also but haven't installed it yet.
An hour before I go anywhere on mornings below -10C, I throw the inside
switch that controls 2 of my 3 outside plugs. The Highlander starts
easily and warms up much faster.

Cool here. Maybe 74,had some rain. 86 earlier today on a boat trip
through the mangroves of Damas Island. Capuchin monkeys were happy. But
we are in Los Suenos Resort, Jaco, Costa Rica.

Mr. Luddite wrote:

Rethinking my early morning Dunkin' Donuts run.

4 degrees F. right now with a wind chill of minus 5-10.

Got remote start on that Colorado?

Thankfully, yes. This morning I let it run through two complete, 10
minute warm up cycles before I ventured out. Temp had actually dropped
another degree to 3.

Below a certain temp the remote starter also automatically turns on the
seat heater which is nice. Makes a big difference!

From what I've read...warming up while sitting idling isn't good for the vehicle or the environment. They say it's better to drive away slowly for the first 5-10 minutes.
I have a dedicated long extension cord that I use to plug in the block heater. I bought an electric battery blanket also but haven't installed it yet.
An hour before I go anywhere on mornings below -10C, I throw the inside switch that controls 2 of my 3 outside plugs. The Highlander starts easily and warms up much faster.

Car manufacturers used to warn about idling a car for long periods
because it was bad for the catalytic converter. Don't know if that's
true anymore as remote starters in cold climates have become very
popular. I don't have a garage and when you use the remote start it
also turns on the windshield and rear window defroster full blast.
Without that benefit, I'd be sitting in the driveway for a while anyway
waiting to see where I was going.

In any event I only use it on these very cold mornings. My total drive
to and from the local Dunkin's is only 10 minutes and I like doing it
without freezing my ass off.

Mr. Luddite wrote:

Rethinking my early morning Dunkin' Donuts run.

4 degrees F. right now with a wind chill of minus 5-10.

Got remote start on that Colorado?

Thankfully, yes.Â* This morning I let it run through two complete, 10
minute warm up cycles before I ventured out.Â* Temp had actually dropped
another degree to 3.

Below a certain temp the remote starter also automatically turns on the
seat heater which is nice.Â* Makes a big difference!

Â*From what I've read...warming up while sitting idling isn't good for
the vehicle or the environment.Â* They say it's better to drive away
slowly for the first 5-10 minutes.
I have a dedicated long extension cord that I use to plug in the block
heater. I bought an electric battery blanket also but haven't
installed it yet.
An hour before I go anywhere on mornings below -10C, I throw the
inside switch that controls 2 of my 3 outside plugs.Â* The Highlander
starts easily and warms up much faster.

Car manufacturers used to warn about idling a car for long periods
because it was bad for the catalytic converter.Â* Don't know if that's
true anymore as remote starters in cold climates have become very
popular.Â* I don't have a garage and when you use the remote start it
also turns on the windshield and rear window defroster full blast.
Without that benefit, I'd be sitting in the driveway for a while anyway
waiting to see where I was going.

In any event I only use it on these very cold mornings.Â* My total drive

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/t99kvfsXGVk/hqdefault.jpg

Mr. Luddite wrote:

Rethinking my early morning Dunkin' Donuts run.

4 degrees F. right now with a wind chill of minus 5-10.

Got remote start on that Colorado?

Thankfully, yes. This morning I let it run through two complete, 10
minute warm up cycles before I ventured out. Temp had actually dropped
another degree to 3.

Below a certain temp the remote starter also automatically turns on the
seat heater which is nice. Makes a big difference!

From what I've read...warming up while sitting idling isn't good for the vehicle or the environment. They say it's better to drive away slowly for the first 5-10 minutes.
I have a dedicated long extension cord that I use to plug in the block heater. I bought an electric battery blanket also but haven't installed it yet.
An hour before I go anywhere on mornings below -10C, I throw the inside switch that controls 2 of my 3 outside plugs. The Highlander starts easily and warms up much faster.

None of my local auto parts stores sell block heaters or electric
battery blankets. Did you get yours on line?

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Mr. Luddite wrote:

Rethinking my early morning Dunkin' Donuts run.

4 degrees F. right now with a wind chill of minus 5-10.

Got remote start on that Colorado?

Thankfully, yes. This morning I let it run through two complete, 10
minute warm up cycles before I ventured out. Temp had actually dropped
another degree to 3.

Below a certain temp the remote starter also automatically turns on the
seat heater which is nice. Makes a big difference!

From what I've read...warming up while sitting idling isn't good for the vehicle or the environment. They say it's better to drive away slowly for the first 5-10 minutes.
[...]

I wish I could remember to use my remote start when my car has
been baking under the hot Florida sun.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Mr. Luddite wrote:

Rethinking my early morning Dunkin' Donuts run.

4 degrees F. right now with a wind chill of minus 5-10.

Got remote start on that Colorado?

Thankfully, yes. This morning I let it run through two complete, 10
minute warm up cycles before I ventured out. Temp had actually dropped
another degree to 3.

Below a certain temp the remote starter also automatically turns on the
seat heater which is nice. Makes a big difference!

From what I've read...warming up while sitting idling isn't good for the vehicle or the environment. They say it's better to drive away slowly for the first 5-10 minutes.
[...]

I became curious again after reading Don's comments about remote
starters and read several reviews and query's regarding if their use to
warm up the engine for a bit before driving in extreme cold weather is
bad for the car. Turns out, it's a myth, based on older engine
technology.

In reality, warming the engine up a bit before driving is actually
better for the engine than just starting it and driving slowly. If you
do the latter, the engine is actually working harder than normal under
load, is using more gas and is less efficient emission control wise than
if you let it warm up a bit at idle under little load.

I wouldn't bother with block heaters unless I had a diesel.

Mr. Luddite wrote:

Rethinking my early morning Dunkin' Donuts run.

4 degrees F. right now with a wind chill of minus 5-10.

Got remote start on that Colorado?

Thankfully, yes. This morning I let it run through two complete, 10
minute warm up cycles before I ventured out. Temp had actually dropped
another degree to 3.

Below a certain temp the remote starter also automatically turns on the
seat heater which is nice. Makes a big difference!

From what I've read...warming up while sitting idling isn't good for the vehicle or the environment. They say it's better to drive away slowly for the first 5-10 minutes.
[...]

My purpose is to lessen engine wear due to cold starting and the problem with thicker oil trying to coat and apply lubrication to frozen internal parts. I believe the block heater helps with this. I'm more interested in the long engine life of my vehicles than my own comfort.
On the other hand I do try to dress properly when going out in temperatures lower than -8 C. That is..undershirt, flannel shirt, fleece layer and winter coat. Even wear mitts if walking the dog.