Default You Navy guys do this?

wrote:
On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 05:20:40 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 11/22/2017 6:51 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 14:44:56 -0500, John H
wrote:

We did CS (tear gas) but never did the pepper spray drill:

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...y-3-years.html

Nothing like that in the Coast Guard and the Norfolk cops did not have
spray. They just beat the **** out of you.

The Coast Guard now does pepper spray as part of side arm
qualifications. My grandson recently went through it.

I am really not surprised. They have changed from a search and rescue
operation to a police force. I suppose that is really just a throw
back to their roots. They were originally enforcing federal import tax
laws and stopping smugglers in "Revenue Cutters".
That is probably the service that changed missions the most in the US
over the years. When I was there we were doing missions that the Navy
should have been doing and that started in WWII, continuing up into
the 70s. I had a shield on my sleeve but I was really in the Navy
Reserve.
The CG does not even have FTs now from what I can tell.

What was an FT?

wrote:

[...]

In the Navy it's the Fire control technician rating. Unlike what the
name implies it has little to do with firefighting. It has everything
to do with the maintenance and repair of the various weapons and gun
controls on the ship. Now-a-days it's mostly computer related.

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 15:02:30 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 11/23/2017 2:11 PM, John H wrote:
On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 10:58:31 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 08:26:45 -0500, John H
wrote:

One of my grandsons was considering the Coast Guard. He wanted to be a Coast Guard officer. But he
called last night and informed me he got accepted to Auburn. I suppose the Coast Guard is taking a
back seat for now.

I was accepted to 3 universities when I went into the CG. Money was a
big issue but I also had the draft to think about. At least that is
not going to be a problem for him. I do think people will take college
more seriously after being in the military, particularly if you have
been in military schools. We only have to look at the original GI bill
students to see that.
You also get GI Bill money.

The problem with Auburn is the 'out of state' tuition as his home is in Georgia. We're still waiting
for a few of the Georgia schools to accept or decline him. One of the big draws for Auburn was its
Naval ROTC program. Being an officer in the Navy is high on his list also.

I wholeheartedly and positively agree with this post! :-)

How about applying to the Naval Academy?

That was his first big 'downer'. He has asthma. The Navy folks told him he could not attend the
academy. That depressed him big time. His grades went to hell, and he just didn't give a damn about
anything. He's finally gotten over it, got a pot full of A's on his last report card (costing me a
fortune), and is headed in the right direction. He and his parents don't get along too well, which
is pretty normal, but he and I have a super relationship. Money won't be a problem, but I'll let him
try for the scholarships first.

wrote:

[...]

His mistake may have been admitting he had asthma to the Navy. :-)

My older son has been asthmatic since he was a little kid and still is.
When he joined the Navy he didn't acknowledge it and he served his full,
four years without any problems. Might be that aboard a ship at sea
there are few allergens that kicks off an asthma attack.

One of the reasons he moved from MA to SC is because in SC his asthma is
not anywhere near as severe as it is up here. He's had all the tests
for allergens and he's basically allergic to almost everything that grows.

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 19:21:44 -0000 (UTC), Bill

wrote:

[...]

Fire Control Tech. Once they gave all of the ships we had with 5" guns
away to the Vietnamese, there was no fire control equipment on a
cutter so the writing was on the wall.
I suppose they all got rolled into the Gunners Mate rate if they had
not already left or retired. We were Gunners Mates anyway. That is one
reason I tried to change my rate. It would have actually opened up my
opportunities and I might have even stayed around, at least in the
reserves. I had the GM 3&2 courses on the books before I got my FT
crow.

wrote:

What was an FT?

In the Navy it's the Fire control technician rating. Unlike what the
name implies it has little to do with firefighting. It has everything
to do with the maintenance and repair of the various weapons and gun
controls on the ship. Now-a-days it's mostly computer related.

It was "computer related" then too but the computers had springs and
gears in them (pure analog)

wrote:

[...]

I used to have two puffers for mild asthma but out grew it.
I guess a test would be to go camping in a tent during cool damp weather.

True North wrote:

I used to have two puffers for mild asthma but out grew it.
I guess a test would be to go camping in a tent during cool damp weather.

It's "outgrew", dummy.

Navy guys. John H.[_5_] General 2 January 26th 16 08:39 PM
Wind guys versus bat guys... John H[_11_] General 19 December 16th 09 12:26 AM
A great short film - Navy guys, WAKE UP! Tim General 0 September 3rd 09 04:59 PM
Yo Navy and Marine guys... John H.[_5_] General 4 September 20th 08 03:47 PM