Default Veterans

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 06:46:59 -0800 (PST), Its Me wrote:

On Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 11:31:13 PM UTC-5, Tim wrote:
9:54
I guess I may just be speaking for myself. I don't think I did
anything compared to the guys who had their ass in the grass.

Me either...

Maybe not, but if you served there was the possibility of your ass being in the grass. Therefore, you deserve a "Thank You".

BTW, my dad had a veteran's graveside ceremony. Three Navy folks (probably active duty reservists) played taps and did the flag ceremony. It was a nice ceremony, but they girl that folded the flag screwed it up. When the other girl presented it to me, she leaned down and whispered that they would take it and re-fold it. They did. One of my "ex" Marine nephews told me afterwards that he was about to jump up and grab it from her so he could fold it correctly.

When my brother was buried in Arlington, the flag detail screwed up the flag, by just enough that
the tuck wouldn't hold. They unfolded and refolded it on the spot. I was impressed that they did so.
The unfolding was as impressive as the folding.

John H wrote:
On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 19:25:01 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

wrote:
On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 07:56:09 -0500, John H
wrote:

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 17:18:06 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 17:07:30 -0500, John H
wrote:

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 07:00:34 -0800 (PST), Its Me wrote:

Thank you for your service.

You betcha. Thanks for the thought.

The veterans who really deserve our thanks are not alive to hear it so
we just need to thank then by respecting the flag that they died for
and all it represents.

Well, those of us who don't really deserve your thanks and are still
alive still appreciate very
much hearing the words!

You qualify as an "ass in the grass" guy. Anyone "in country" was at
risk of being shot at.
Thanks for sticking your neck out for America and our flag.

Those of us who were keeping the godless communists out of the Potomac
River salute you.

Very true about the danger in VN. My brother was stationed at China Beach
as a SeaBee, building the hospital. They were hit by rocket attacks. He
said they were lucky as most of the rockets went through the tents and
unless they hit a bed frame solidly and did not explode. He is an Agent
Orange vet from polluted rivers he worked in.

Has he had any problems, like lung cancer or any of the other myriad
problems associated with Agent
Orange?

He has had bypass, and blood clot problems mostly. He said mostly exposure
was while building bridges over waterways. So not as much aerial
exposure. He smoked for years, so do not know what effects that will
have. He is almost 78.

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 02:15:17 -0000 (UTC), Bill

wrote:

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 07:00:34 -0800 (PST), Its Me wrote:

Thank you for your service.

You betcha. Thanks for the thought.

The veterans who really deserve our thanks are not alive to hear it so
we just need to thank then by respecting the flag that they died for
and all it represents.

They all deserve honor. Today, group I am affiliated with, had both crab
fishing and a crab feed for disabled vets. They took out the vets on
private boats, and also cooked up a nice lunch. The rest of us
contributed extra crab, so all could take home crab. Dungeness, sport
limit 10.

I guess I may just be speaking for myself. I don't think I did
anything compared to the guys who had their ass in the grass.

Believe Capt Tom Francis was a real fighting veteran of Viet Nam. I don't recall him saying much about it but maybe someone else would remember.

wrote:

[...]

Yes, he was ... and is.

wrote:

[...]

My engineer company got tasked with clearing the land around Cu Chi base camp after the VC blew up 9
Chinooks one night.

http://www.chinook-helicopter.com/hi...l_charges.html

Funny, while looking for pictures of the attack's results, I came across this piece of absolute
bull****:

https://www.legion.org/stories/my-ti...appers-vietnam

There was only one VC killed that night, by one of my young guys who managed to snag a pistol after
shooting the officer.

Anyway, we used bulldozers, road graders, bucket loaders, and even Combat Engineer Vehicles with a
ship's anchor chain stretched between them to clear the land around the base camp. While we were on
the ground, the helicopters were flying overhead spraying the area with Agent Orange to kill all the
small stuff. We didn't think anything of it at the time. Oh well.

The nodules in my lungs have not increased in size over the past three years, so the doctor now
calls them 'benign'. Thankfully.

wrote:

[...]

That seems to be the best indicator of who was really in the ****. The
ones that were, usually don't like to talk about it much.
War is a part of humanity that people would rather forget.
Maybe if people actually confronted the reality a little more, we
would do less of it.

wrote:

[...]

I think the air force guys who were handling this stuff 55 gallons at
a time may have had the worst exposure. Nobody told them it was
dangerous and they always had spills of the concentrated material.
I knew guys who said they were soaked in the stuff occasionally.
This was in the 60s-70s and I often wonder how they are doing now.

Thank You Veterans! Poquito Loco General 7 November 15th 16 12:09 AM
Even veterans think... F.O.A.D. General 3 March 2nd 14 10:44 PM
Thank you Veterans! John H[_2_] General 5 November 12th 13 02:26 PM
Veterans Day Jim General 22 November 3rd 09 01:51 PM
Thank You Veterans JimH General 30 November 13th 04 06:07 PM