Default Nancy is ****ed ...

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 17:21:14 -0400, John H
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 13:19:24 -0400, wrote:

I agree Vietnam was a huge **** up but the reality is the percentage
of people in the military who were actually "shooting up SE Asia" was
pretty small even when LBJ was doing it (the peak of our involvement).
With your skin tone and your credentials, you had a very good chance
of spending your whole tour in Europe or right here in the good old
USA. The two Army guys I know who are my age ended up in data
processing units (one in Germany, one in Texas) and both retired as
civilians in that same field. The Army guy I knew who was a little
older did go to Vietnam but during the JFK administration, wearing a
green hat.
All of the marines I knew were in country (ass in the grass) tho but I
doubt you would make it in the marines or would even try.
The Air Force guys were usually either in Thailand, Japan or freezing
their ass off at a SAC base somewhere up north. None of them were shot
at or fired a shot themselves. Of course living in SE DC and PG, I
knew lots of guys who worked at Andrews. The apartments I lived in
when I was in Oxon Hill were very popular as "off base housing"
because it was 10 minutes from the gate and cheap.

Well, now you know, somewhat, another Army guy who didn't go as a data processor. I wore a green
boonie hat. My brother wore a green beret. Not sure what hat you're talking about.

My old buddy Billy was a Green Beret back before we thought VN was a
war.

During OCS my wife lived in an apartment in Oxen Hill. It overlooked the flight path for National,
but I think the MGM place is where it used to be. This was in '67.

I am not sure where that would have been. I thought it was all single
family south west of Oxon Hill Rd and National Harbor was still woods
and marsh land. We used to hunt there. That whole area down there was
largely undeveloped. I did have friends who lived in apartments on
Overlook but that was up the hill from Bolling and NRL in DC.
(Red brick buildings built in the 40s)
Was it really more like Indian Head Highway? Dunno we are talking
about 50 years ago.

wrote:

[...]

A bit east of Indian Head Highway, now that I look at a map. This was in a good sized apartment
building. She lived there and I had to stay in the barracks. We did get two weekends home during the
six months of OCS though, and we were allowed an hour of visitation in the dayroom every Wednesday
evening. Public dayroom, ergo no hanky panky.

wrote:

[...]

Riverside Plaza? (Oxon Hill Rd a block east of Livingston?) I lived
there a while before I moved to Dennis Grove in 1969.
Riverside was set apart in those days by having one paneled wall in
the living room and a more sedate residency. Dennis Grove was full of
younger people with bigger apartments (2 br/2 bath), perfect for
"roomies".

wrote:

[...]

I don't know the name of the place. Hell, I was only there to move her in, a couple weekends, and
moving her out. And, during the times I was there, I was not interested in the local geography or
apartment buildings!

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 12:24:34 -0400, John H
wrote:

[...]

In the 50s and 60s there were not that many apartments in Oxon Hill.
That is why I asked. It really went nuts after they finished the
beltway and housing patterns started to shift. Before that Oxon Hill
was just a few quiet little bedroom communities backed up to farm
land.
If you didn't go to work down South Capitol street, you probably went
to Andrews although that seemed pretty far away at the time.
The real divide was Oxon Hill Road. South of that was country and
north of it was more like SE DC.

wrote:

[...]

The big draw of an apartment in Oxon Hill at that time was price and proximity to Ft. Belvoir. I was
making E-5 pay while in OCS, and she'd found a part-time secretary job. We were going to be in the
area for only six months.

wrote:

[...]

Price and the ease of getting into DC was probably the only reason
anyone but a farmer would want to live there in the 50s and 60s.
Before the Wilson Bridge, Virginia was just a place you could see
across the river. At rush hour Alexandria was over an hour away. I
doubt I had been south of National more than once or twice in my whole
life but I could see the Masonic Temple from just about any tree in
the neighborhood.

wrote:

[...]

When I first moved to the DC area, we rented a house in Fairfax off of
Route 50. After a year, we bought a new house in Loudoun County*, and it
took me 45 minutes on a bad day to drive down Route 7 to Route 193 to
Chain Bridge and to where I worked in Georgetown. These days, it takes
45 minutes to drive from Loudoun County to Tysons Corner.

* Three bedroom, 2-1/2 bath detached house for, are you sitting down,
$23,500.

wrote:

[...]

That sounds about right in the late 60-70s, particularly in Fumbuck
Virginia. Before they built I-66 that area was like West Virginia to
most people in DC. When I started shooting in the IBM skeet league we
were going to Manassas, from Clinton. It took longer to get there than
it took to shoot 2 league rounds. We were real happy when Winchester
built the range off of 450 and 495.

Nancy is pissed ... Bill[_12_] General 0 October 16th 17 12:57 AM
Oh shit...Now the Transgenders are pissed Poco Deplorevole General 58 January 26th 17 05:01 AM
How my local Sea Ray dealer pissed me off: Marty General 14 June 26th 05 12:17 AM
Boy, I'm I pissed today!!! Thom Stewart ASA 4 February 10th 04 06:19 PM