Marty

Default How my local Sea Ray dealer ****ed me off:

I walked in to the showroom on Sunday and put a deposit on the boat I looked
at in the lot.
I told them my wife would be in on Monday to arrange the financing.
They called on Tuesday and said it's a go.
We came back as a family to see if we could do our on the water delivery
aearlier than planned and they told us it would have to wait until they got
our boat delivered from somewhere else. What happened to the boat I put my
deposit on, I asked? Oh, we sold it.
Not happy at this point, but we'll do our on the water delivery on Sunday
when you get our boat.
A couple of days later and Oh, we can't do it on Sunday (because they sent
the boat to a boat show). What the hell was the deposit for anyway?
So, I'm a little ****ed off and I told them I wasn't interested anymore, but
it was my wife's decision (it's her graduation present) whether to continue
with the deal or not.
They called back and said they would have the boat ready for our Sunday on
the water delivery. Still, this leaves me with an uncomfortable feeling in
my stomach which I should probably listen to and meanwhile I've looked at
the four winns, and the crownline 192.
Just thought I'd share.

Marty wrote:
[...]

I don't blame you. You put money down on a particular boat, and you
aren't getting that particular boat. There's a chance fit and finish
won't be the same, etc. I'd look the other boat over just as carefully
as you looked over the one you *thought* you were putting money on.
Also, if this is the way the dealer runs his business, it would make me
wonder about how service will be down the road.

WKR

Marty wrote:
[...]

If this is any indication of how they are going to treat you I would move
on to another dealer if you can.But if theyn pinged your credit to see what
you qualify for financing it might be worth sticking with the same
dealer.Too many pings on your credit report hurt it for a bit.I had a
similar experience here over the last 2 months.The sales people never
returned calls on status of financing,boat readiness,verbal agreement
repairs status or when my boat was finished being painted.We went through 4
sales people and finally realized the Company VP was a friend of mine from
where I used to live.It was a nightmare experience from day one.I would call
and ask for status of things and was told they would call me back ASAP.A day
or two would pass,I ended up driving to the dealership and sitting right in
thier sales persons breakroom,where they gathered even when customers were
on the showroom floor.The Company VP came in,recognized me and ended up
firing the Accounts girl,Finance person and 2 sales people.He asked the
salesmen if they called me back yet.They said yes.I was there sitting behind
them and told the VP " no Bill,they did not".He fired them on the spot.I
know boaters are laid back but this was ridiculous.Boat N RV Warehouse in
upstate will not get ANY accessory business from me.I will mailorder or go
elsewheres for the ton of stuff I now need.
Got my boat,2000 23ft Rinker 232 Cuddy.Enjoying it and I wonder how those
fire people are doing now.Oh wait,no I am not.
Wayne

Waterford,NY

Capt John

Marty, next time get the manufacturers numbers for the boat you want on
your contract when you put down money. If they sell that boat, the deal
is void, they could even owe you. And if they refuse to put the numbers
down, find a honest dealer.

Marty

wrote in message
oups.com...

I don't blame you. You put money down on a particular boat, and you
aren't getting that particular boat. There's a chance fit and finish
won't be the same, etc. I'd look the other boat over just as carefully
as you looked over the one you *thought* you were putting money on.
Also, if this is the way the dealer runs his business, it would make me
wonder about how service will be down the road.

Well, there's the catch. This dealer has been recommended by several local
Sea Ray owner's! They action's caught me completely off guard.

Marty wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

I don't blame you. You put money down on a particular boat, and you
aren't getting that particular boat. There's a chance fit and finish
won't be the same, etc. I'd look the other boat over just as carefully
as you looked over the one you *thought* you were putting money on.
Also, if this is the way the dealer runs his business, it would make me
wonder about how service will be down the road.

Well, there's the catch. This dealer has been recommended by several local
Sea Ray owner's! They action's caught me completely off guard.

I would voice just that message to the dealer. I'd demand getting to
the bottom of it. Who was responsible for selling the boat that I put a
down payment on? Why did that person do that? I put money down on THAT
particular boat, and you sold it to someone else. No two are exactly
alike.

Bob La Londe

"Marty" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I had this happen once on a motorcycle with a motorcycle dealer. I stopped
in to pick up my money and found what I wanted elsewhere. Don't let them
claim that your deposit is forfeit either. They failed to deliver the boat
you put a deposit on. If anything they owe you something for your
inconvenience.

I would explain to the dealership that you expect to be compensated for
their failure to follow through and honor the agreement. I'ld also
definitely call SeaRay and explain the unethical behavior of the dealership
if the dealership doesn't go above and beyond for you to make up for this.

You may also want to evaluate the response youg et from SeaRay if you call
them directly. I'ld go further to say if you don't like what you hear that
you should consider a different brand. My reservation on that though is
that SeaRay does make a top quality hull. If it is really what you want you
might be better served to find another dealership.

http://www.searay.com/index.asp

Hope this helps. My experience is that dealerships who have been
indifferent and dishonorable to me never get any better. Whether it be a
boat shop, a motorcycle shop, or a car dealership. Best of luck to you.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

tony thomas

Since you did not get numbers on the deposit reciept you may have never been
promised the boat you looked at. It may very well have been sold when you
looked at it. Did they tell you the boat you were looking at was the boat
you were getting?
You arranged to get delivery on a certain date (you don't state when). They
got another boat for you but sense they had time they wanted to use it at
the boat show.
You then asked for delivery early (sorry we can't was the answer).
You wanted it Sunday - they realized they could do it since the boat will be
back on Sunday.

Bottom line- Dealer could have been more up front on the deal and you could
have gotton more specifics on the deal.
Don't think you can back out as you have a deposit on a boat (no numbers)
and a written date of delivery on that deposit that the dealer is meeting.

Just my thoughts.
--
Tony
my boats and cars at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

-
"Marty" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Marty

"tony thomas" wrote in message
Since you did not get numbers on the deposit reciept you may have never
been promised the boat you looked at. It may very well have been sold
when you looked at it. Did they tell you the boat you were looking at was
the boat you were getting?

I wasn't careful. I wasn't cautious. I wasn't worried about deception. I
wasn't worried about bait and switch.
The showed me the boat. I said I want that boat. I said here's my credit
card for the deposit on that boat.
They did the paperwork. I wasn't paying attention to hull numbers, etc. It
was the only one on the lot! I didn't think they would pull a fast one on
me.

You arranged to get delivery on a certain date (you don't state when).
They got another boat for you but sense they had time they wanted to use
it at the boat show.
You then asked for delivery early (sorry we can't was the answer).
You wanted it Sunday - they realized they could do it since the boat will
be back on Sunday.

No, they weren't going to have the alternate boat back on Sunday, because
they were going to use it a a boat show and we would have to wait beyond the
original delivery date for the replacement boat that should never have been
a replacement boat. The only reason they pulled the boat from the boat show
to have it available for the original Sunday delivery is because I told them
that as far as I was concerned, the deal was off.

Bottom line- Dealer could have been more up front on the deal and you
could have gotton more specifics on the deal.

I agree to both statements and I'm old enough to know caveat emptor.

Don't think you can back out as you have a deposit on a boat (no numbers)
and a written date of delivery on that deposit that the dealer is meeting.

I'm still thinking about pulling my deposit and killing the deal, but the
alternatives are a few thousand more than this deal.

Don't worry about the exact dates and times referred to in my original post.
I didn't want to get out a calendar and bore the newsgroup with detail; I
thought the genreal idea would be plenty.

Just my thoughts.
--
Tony
my boats and cars at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com