Default Simple Home Remedy #1

On 10/19/2017 2:09 PM, Keyser Söze wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/19/2017 1:45 PM, John H wrote:
On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 20:00:53 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 10/18/2017 5:47 PM, Bill wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/18/2017 12:18 PM, John H wrote:
On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 11:59:24 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 10/18/2017 11:42 AM, Its Me wrote:
On Wednesday, October 18, 2017 at 8:00:36 AM UTC-4, John H wrote:
On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 06:58:38 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 10/18/2017 6:41 AM, John H wrote:
On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 18:23:21 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 10/17/2017 4:16 PM, Bill wrote:
wrote:
On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 08:24:20 -0400, John H
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 22:51:59 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 12:39:18 -0400, John H
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 12:20:13 -0400,
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 07:50:29 -0400, John H
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 01:19:11 -0400,
wrote:

There are a few of those TV cooking guys who do pretty knife work.
Jeff Smith (Frugal Gourmet) was a great knife guy. I learned lots of
things from watching that show. Too bad he was a pervert ;-)
I have some Zwillings that even Harry would be proud to have.

My cheap Zwilling Five Stars have served well for many years. But,
I'm sure Harry would look down
his nose at anything less than a set of Michel Bras knives to go in
that fantastically perfect
kitchen of his.

This is my go to knife for general chopping and slicing.
I think Judy paid a buck and a quarter for it.

https://pim-cdn.zwilling.com/data/cdn/workarea/suppliers/zw_lieferant/documents/hotfolder/394/38408180_white.jpg

I've tried the Santoku style, but it just never felt right. Been using
this one too long:

https://s7d1.scene7.com/is/image/BedBathandBeyond/94648246769206p?$478$

Judy got a good buy!

I also have a traditional 10" Chicago Cutlery chef knife and their
12" ham slicer (that I have had for decades) but I am getting pretty
used to the Zwilling. The sharp edge is a little straighter and it is
great for chopping.

I'm in the market for a small knife set for a grandson getting into an
apartment while going to
Virginia Tech. CC has a nice looking set with Japanese steel, but then I
saw it's made in China.
I've had a couple CC knives, but could never get them to hold a decent
edge. Am looking at these
three sets now. This would be a Christmas present, so I've
plenty of time to decide which.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0016J42...=EEOGPHJ KYUD

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0000DBI...=EEOGPHJ KYUD

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00CK8UG...=EEOGPHJ KYUD

Suggestions anyone?

When I hear Ginsu I think of those cheap stamped steel things with the
rough serrated edge.

Ginsu knives were made my a vacuum cleaner company. Name slips me the
moment. Was a canister vac. Mom had one. Was an Asian demo guy, so they
named it Ginsu.

Douglas Redivac owns Ginsu now.

The original name for the knives was "Quiccut" but it was determined
that the name had no marketing appeal so it was changed to "Ginsu",
alluding to Japanese samurai swords.

Ginsu knives are most famous for the marketing campaign used to sell them.

From Wiki:

"The resulting Ginsu ads copied the hard sell direct marketing
techniques of carnival hawkers pioneering TV pitchman Ron Popeil had
adapted to the medium in the 1960s. In the process, they helped solidify
the formula for the modern infomercial. The energetic and verbose ads
were ubiquitous in the late 1970s on U.S. television. Advertisements for
the "amazing" Ginsu knife asked, "How much would you pay? Don't
answer!", urged viewers to "Call now! Operators are standing by!" and
included the signature "But wait! There's more!", which became a popular
infomercial catch phrase ever since."

Funny. Here's CRs take:

"For some, the name Ginsu is synonymous with hammy 1970s-era
infomercials, but this a serious
cutlery company. Its 8-piece set offers incredible value, providing
the cutting performance and
handle comfort of knives costing three and four times as much. The
set includes a chef’s and santoku
knife, but not a slicer."

And:

"There are two basic types of steel knives on the market—stamped
and forged. Ultra cheap knives,
like the $40 Ronco Showtime Six Star+, with its 26 pieces, are
usually made out of stamped steel.
Even at the Ronco's bargain price, cutting performance isn't enough
to make it a smart purchase.
You're better off spending more on knives forged from a single
piece of steel, as they typically
result in a sturdier blade that's less likely to bend.

Of the eight steel-knife sets we recommend, all are forged. Five of
them cost at least $300, and the
priciest of the bunch, the Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Profection
#33049, sells for $600. Along with
fellow German manufacturer Wusthof, Zwilling is a regular leader in
our Ratings (the two brands
currently claim the top four spots).

There is one CR Best Buy in our winner's circle, and it's the
exception to the rule about spending
top dollar for quality knives. If you grew up in the late 1970s,
you might remember the Ginsu
as-seen-on-TV ads featuring a blade sawing through a soda can and
then delicately carving a ripe
tomato. But Ginsu is a serious cutlery company, as evidenced by the
Ginsu Chikara, an eight-piece
set that sells for $75 and delivers excellent cutting performance."

The original Ginsu knives sold on television were all made in
Fremont Ohio by Quikut. They're now
made in China using Japanese 420J stainless steel.

They ought to be good enough for a college kid!

You're showing our age!

Maybe they are being made better than back in the 70's. Searching for a
Christmas present for Mrs.E., I fell for the TV ads and bought a set of
Ginsu knives. As I recall, at first they seemed fine and were sharp but
they didn't last long in that condition. It wasn't long before they
were replaced.

You seem to put a lot of faith in Consumer Reports. I don't, although
I admit I don't read many of their reviews and those I do are usually on
cars or trucks. They've given high scores and recommended a few that
later turned out to be pure junk over the years.

I'll readily admit that CR has made a few boo-boos. But that would
happen to any organization. They
provide a lot of concise information, decent comparisons, and make a
starting point. On the internet
they also provide reviews, which I've found to be worthwhile. Then
I'll go to Amazon, for example,
and look at reviews. If over 80% of many hundred reviews are 4-5
stars, I'm thinking the product may
be worthwhile.

Be aware that Amazon reviews are "seeded" in many cases by suppliers
giving away free product in exchange for reviews, and in some cases
just fake reviews to boost the product's ratings.

One of the most useful CR reports is the vehicle reliability ratings
gathered from the questionnaire they sent their readers. These were
compiled from real people and their experience with vehicles they
bought. Even those may be skewed a bit by the type of people that
read CR, and by people who naturally complain about bad experiences
but may not be as vocal about the good. I guess they still do those surveys.

I think finding truthful reviews, especially for vehicles, is scarce.

Human nature is such that good reviews are more the norm by people who
recently purchased the vehicle and are subconsciously justifying their
purchase. The bad reviews come later after many miles on the odometer.

I like my truck, but I've not found it hard to be honest about the
problems I've had while doing the
CR survey. But, there may be a bit of truth to what you say.

Off subject a bit but I like the GMC I bought however the climate
control system drives me nuts sometimes. It's too "smart" for it's own
good. If the relative humidity is above about 60 percent, the AC
compressor runs, even though the display says it's off and I've manually
made sure it is turned off. Then, when heating the truck, when the temp
approaches the desired setpoint, the damn thing starts blowing ice cold
air to prevent an overshoot.

If the humidity is below 60 percent, it seems to work just fine.

Never see that on my GM products, but we did not see much more than 35%
humidity. Wife’s Venza automatic mode never gets close to a steady
temperature.

I have a friend who has a Silverado that is a few years old. His
climate control system does not behave like mine. I did some Google
reading and I am not the only one complaining about it. Apparently the
system now has more input sensors than just temperature. It also senses
humidity and the temperature of the windshield and automatically
controls the AC compressor, even if you have turned it "off".

I can understand turning the compressor on when the windshield defrost
mode is selected like most cars used to do. But, I'd like to be able to
control it's operation when just heating the cabin.

I don't think it's only a GM thing. The 2016 Nissan Altima had a
climate control system that operated similarly although the proportional
band didn't seem as tight as the Canyon's. Don't know about the briefly
owned 2017 Nissan Pathfinder because it never had heat to begin with. :-)

...waiting...

For what?

Godot.

Had to look that up.

wrote:

[...]

From Wiki:

[...]

Strange book. But as one person said. Russian novels. Bad.

Bill wrote:

wrote:

[...]

From Wiki:

[...]

Beckett was Irish. He wrote in French and English. Waiting for Godot is not
a Russian novel. Beckett won the Nobel Prize for Literature.

--
Posted with my iPhone 8+.

Keyser Söze wrote:
Bill wrote:

wrote:

[...]

From Wiki:

[...]

I think the two tramps were supposed to be Russian.

Keyser Soze wrote:
Bill wrote:
Keyser Söze wrote:
Bill wrote:

wrote:

[...]

From Wiki:

[...]

They were short on non-descript, ethnically, and the work is a play, not a
novel.

And just like the fracking boring Death of a Salesman every high school
drama class does. Boring.

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 00:06:32 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

And just like the fracking boring Death of a Salesman every high school
drama class does. Boring.

Our drama gang did The Caine Mutiny Court Marshal, a subset of Julius
Caesar and an interesting spin on the Grapes of Wrath. (our original
play based on the book). Harry would have had a hard on through the
whole thing because they leaned heavily on the union organizer and his
death.

wrote:

[...]

From Wiki:

[...]

For Harry or Don White to jump on that mistake. Surprised they haven't done so yet.

My old Home Sweet Home CVA-62 - 026220.jpg Mike[_2_] Tall Ship Photos 2 September 8th 08 02:51 AM
Simple Home Remedies John H. General 1 December 31st 07 01:53 PM
Free to good home. Or any home. [email protected] General 1 November 16th 05 01:26 PM
Free to good home. Or any home. John H. General 1 November 15th 05 01:45 PM