Default Simple Home Remedy #1

On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 08:24:20 -0400, John H
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 22:51:59 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 12:39:18 -0400, John H
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 12:20:13 -0400,
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 07:50:29 -0400, John H
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 01:19:11 -0400,
wrote:

There are a few of those TV cooking guys who do pretty knife work.
Jeff Smith (Frugal Gourmet) was a great knife guy. I learned lots of
things from watching that show. Too bad he was a pervert ;-)
I have some Zwillings that even Harry would be proud to have.

My cheap Zwilling Five Stars have served well for many years. But, I'm sure Harry would look down
his nose at anything less than a set of Michel Bras knives to go in that fantastically perfect
kitchen of his.

This is my go to knife for general chopping and slicing.
I think Judy paid a buck and a quarter for it.

https://pim-cdn.zwilling.com/data/cdn/workarea/suppliers/zw_lieferant/documents/hotfolder/394/38408180_white.jpg

I've tried the Santoku style, but it just never felt right. Been using this one too long:

https://s7d1.scene7.com/is/image/BedBathandBeyond/94648246769206p?$478$

Judy got a good buy!

I also have a traditional 10" Chicago Cutlery chef knife and their
12" ham slicer (that I have had for decades) but I am getting pretty
used to the Zwilling. The sharp edge is a little straighter and it is
great for chopping.

I'm in the market for a small knife set for a grandson getting into an apartment while going to
Virginia Tech. CC has a nice looking set with Japanese steel, but then I saw it's made in China.
I've had a couple CC knives, but could never get them to hold a decent edge. Am looking at these
three sets now. This would be a Christmas present, so I've plenty of time to decide which.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0016J42...=EEOGPHJ KYUD

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0000DBI...=EEOGPHJ KYUD

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00CK8UG...=EEOGPHJ KYUD

Suggestions anyone?

When I hear Ginsu I think of those cheap stamped steel things with the
rough serrated edge.

On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 10:36:34 -0400,
wrote:

Has Consumer Reports ever rated kitchen knives?

If they did, would you believe them?

wrote:

[...]

It's hard to go wrong with the Zwillings in this price range. We've had a set for 15 years that have given good service. A family member gave us a couple of Cutco kitchen knives. They have held an edge, but I don't like the handles.

How about a starter set of Victorinox? Good quality stuff, they take abuse better than Japanese steel, and he could always build on it later. Many restaurants use them for their "house" chef knives.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victorinox-forschner-swiss-classic/knife-set-p133550

wrote:

[...]

===

Has Consumer Reports ever rated kitchen knives?

---
http://www.avg.com

Yup, in order:

Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Professional "S"
Wusthof Classic Ikon #8347
Wusthof Classic #8418 kitchen
Ginsu Chikara
Zwilling J.A. Henckels Four Star
Kershaw Shun Classic DMS300

I'd about settled on this set:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016J4230...PHJ KYUD&th=1

But then saw that this set was actually cheaper even though it had more knives:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0011TRO80...PHJ KYUD&th=1

So, the Ginsu 12 piece is now on order!

wrote:

[...]

Nope, the ones I just ordered are forged. Surprisingly, some of the Zwilllings are stamped.

"Part of Henckels’s Twin Signature of knives, the cutlery in this set have high-carbon,
stainless-steel blades that have been stamped from one piece of metal."

wrote:

Has Consumer Reports ever rated kitchen knives?

If they did, would you believe them?

I've had good luck with the CR ratings and information.

wrote:

[...]

Not wild about those handles. Prefer the forged and the full tang. Couldn't determine if the
Victorinox were full tang or not.

Anyway, it's too late. The Ginsu set is on order. He's 19 years old, I think he'll like them.

wrote:

[...]

I like forschner knives. Same steel as Henkel, but lighter weight. Made
from flat stock. Some of the best knives are Cutco knives. Lots of
butchers use them.

wrote:

[...]

Ginsu knives were made my a vacuum cleaner company. Name slips me the
moment. Was a canister vac. Mom had one. Was an Asian demo guy, so they
named it Ginsu.

wrote:

[...]

"Part of HenckelsÂ’s Twin Signature of knives, the cutlery in this set have high-carbon,
stainless-steel blades that have been stamped from one piece of metal."

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0000DBI...=EEOGPHJ KYUD

A lot of professionals like the stamped as they are less weight.

My old Home Sweet Home CVA-62 - 026220.jpg Mike[_2_] Tall Ship Photos 2 September 8th 08 02:51 AM
Simple Home Remedies John H. General 1 December 31st 07 01:53 PM
Free to good home. Or any home. [email protected] General 1 November 16th 05 01:26 PM
Free to good home. Or any home. John H. General 1 November 15th 05 01:45 PM