Default iPhone explodes!

WASHINGTON, DC (WJLA/CNN) - An iPhone explosion resulted in a fire and burn marks for a Washington D.C. couple.

Things could have been much worse, especially considering their infant daughter was nearby when the phone ignited.

There was a mark on the bed and burn marks on Curtis Gilmore's arm and his girlfriend DeAngela Miller's leg.

They said it was all thanks to when an iPhone 6S Plus suddenly blew up.

It happened when they and their 3-month-old daughter were lying near the phone, which they said was not charging and hadn't been used for a while.

"We were just talking and something went pow. I bounced up and looked to see the phone was on fire," Miller said.

The phone actually belonged to Miller's brother.

"He picked it up, ran out with the phone and threw it out in the hallway. I immediately called the fire department."

D.C. Fire & EMS said the fire was out by the time they arrived.

The couple is grateful the 3-month-old wasn't hurt.

"It could have been way worse than what it was. I could have had it up to my face, ear or anything. My daughter could have been right there. I could have been playing, taking a picture of her and it blow up in her whole face. That doesn't many any sense," Gilmore said.

An Apple spokesperson says the company will investigate to see what caused the explosion.
Top Chinese quality.

On 8/18/2017 10:20 AM, Its Me wrote:
[...]

Lithium Ion batteries. They can be very dangerous when faulty.

On Friday, August 18, 2017 at 10:26:35 AM UTC-4, Mr. Luddite wrote:
[...]

Yes. I have some Black and Decker yard tools with Li-Ion batteries, and I charge them in an area where they would do the least damage if they erupt. The drone also uses them, but I do feel a little better about them. The drone batteries are "smart" in that they have a controller built in that controls and balances the 3 internal cells and also automatically drains them down to 50% charge over three days of non-use. Occasionally the drone company, DJI, issues firmware updates for the drone which also includes new firmware for the batteries. You have to plug them into the drone one at a time so they can update.