Tim Tim is offline

Default Who says I'm 'low tech'...

"numbers...

That does not help much when the spammers are using caller ID
spoofers. The number keeps changing. "

Oh I know, and I keep blocking them.

On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 12:49:14 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 07:01:53 -0400, John H
wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 16:04:41 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 5:18:04 PM UTC-4, John H wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 16:31:26 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 14:09:28 -0400, John H
wrote:

The strange one is when your own number pops on the caller ID.

My cell phone number shows up quite often on my land line CID. If I'm running around and think of
something I want to remember later, I'll often call my home phone and leave a message as a reminder.
Works well.
I am talking about the POTS number showing up on the POTS caller ID.

What is POTS?

Plain Old Telephone Service

Well, I just reckon I am pretty low tech.

I still have 2 rotary dial phones connected. That is low tech.
The one in my garage still has the original Telco label in the dial
face with my phone number on it. That is the best phone in the house
for reliability.

I remember when you had to pay for DTMF dialing capability. I always thought that was funny, because you know they had to go into the PBX turn it off for folks that didn't pay the extra charge. Then you had the phones you could buy that had a switch for rotary/DTMF. You could avoid the charge from local Bell for DTMF, but still switch the phone and use DTMF if needed.

Did you know you can rotary dial without using the dialer? For example, if you want to dial a "2" you just depress and release the hookswitch buttons in the cradle twice, very quickly. That's all the rotary dialer does... it interrupts loop current the same number of times as the number dialed. 0=10.

wrote:

[...]

I am aware of all of that, in fact in the Bell System the only thing
paying got you was a guaranteed DMTF originating register. If you
tried a few times you still would get one in a random manner.
On the system I had when I moved to PG county, it was so rare that I
didn't get one I would forget and think my phone broke.
Later when they went to ESS, they had to add extra hardware to deal
with the rotary dialers. After deregulation and a lawsuit or two the
RBOCs dropped that fee.
Down here when we had Clem and Bubba's phone company, the central
office in Ft Myers was a #5 and they still had a stepper office in
Naples. It wasn't until the late 80s when Sprint bought it that they
moved to ESS. There were 2 floors of a big building in both offices
full of clicking stuff, then one day it was just the frames along the
wall on one floor and a guy sitting at a computer console. The other
floor was empty.
They did have the government packet sniffer in Ft Myers but we were
not supposed to know about that.

On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 15:03:55 -0600 (MDT), Justan wrote:

John H Wrote in message:
On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 17:11:52 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 7:11:31 PM UTC-4, wrote:

wrote:

The strange one is when your own number pops on the caller ID.

My cell phone number shows up quite often on my land line CID. If I'm running around and think of
something I want to remember later, I'll often call my home phone and leave a message as a reminder.
Works well.
I am talking about the POTS number showing up on the POTS caller ID.

What is POTS?
Plain Old Telephone Service

I beat ya to it.

Technically it's a 2-wire loop start telephone line. When you come off-hook, you draw loop current on the line, which signals the office that you want dial tone. When a trunk is available, you get dial tone. Then you dial the number, and the office PABX connects you. Their PABX send ring voltage down the POTS line to their phone, which (in the old days) rings the mechanical bell. They pick up, and you have a talkpath connection between the phones.

Interesting, if you've never travelled outside the US, you've probably never waited on dial tone. Some phone systems don't have enough capacity in some countries to handle the volume. The first time I experienced it was in Venezuela. I picked up the phone in the hotel, and waited about 20-30 seconds for dial tone. When I told the operator I wanted to make a call back to the US, they said they'd call me back when a circuit was available. About 15 minutes later I got a return call and my call went through. This was over 20 years ago.

And now I can use Skype to call a Netherlands land line for 2.3 cents a minute, with super quality.

How is the video on skype now?

I have very good luck with it. The Netherlands is almost always good. Belarus is usually good.
Stateside is always super, even when my daughter uses her cell phone.

wrote:

[...]

Packet sniffer?

===

Packet Sniffer is a generic term for the ability to surreptitiously
monitor digital communications which are broken into packets for
transmission. That includes virtuall all internet traffic.

There aer a number of licit and illicit operations which do that.

https://www.eff.org/nsa-spying

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2015/10/29/government_stingray_surveillance_technology_can_re cord_calls_track_phones.html

---
http://www.avg.com

True North wrote:
On Sunday, 30 July 2017 09:02:14 UTC-3, John H wrote:
I just 'paired' my cell phone to my panasonic home phones. Now when I get a cell phone call I can
hear the ring and answer it on my home phone.

Next step, disconnect the home phone from the land line and stop paying Cox the big bucks for the
telephone!

Yippee.

You guys should have told me about that years ago!

Now we can only hope that all the nuisance callers, who used to call your landline, get your cellphone number.

"We" would hope that? Only an asshole would hope that.

On 8/1/17 8:36 PM, Alex wrote:
True North wrote:
On Sunday, 30 July 2017 09:02:14 UTC-3, John H wrote:
I just 'paired' my cell phone to my panasonic home phones. Now when I
get a cell phone call I can
hear the ring and answer it on my home phone.

Next step, disconnect the home phone from the land line and stop
paying Cox the big bucks for the
telephone!

Yippee.

You guys should have told me about that years ago!

Now we can only hope that all the nuisance callers, who used to call
your landline, get your cellphone number.

"We" would hope that? Only an asshole would hope that.

Another evening of mindless bons mots from Alex, eh?

wrote:

[...]

I don't think I've ever seen the word 'licit' used before. Looked it up just to be sure it was a
word. It is. Now I've learned two new things today.

On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 20:47:19 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 8/1/17 8:36 PM, Alex wrote:
True North wrote:
On Sunday, 30 July 2017 09:02:14 UTC-3, John H wrote:
I just 'paired' my cell phone to my panasonic home phones. Now when I
get a cell phone call I can
hear the ring and answer it on my home phone.

Next step, disconnect the home phone from the land line and stop
paying Cox the big bucks for the
telephone!

Yippee.

You guys should have told me about that years ago!

Now we can only hope that all the nuisance callers, who used to call
your landline, get your cellphone number.

"We" would hope that? Only an asshole would hope that.

Another evening of mindless bons mots from Alex, eh?

You write, "Now we can only hope that all the nuisance callers, who used to call
your landline, get your cellphone number," and then call someone else's post 'mindless'?

Is that narcissistic behavior? Run upstairs and ask the 'southern belle'.

On Tuesday, 1 August 2017 21:36:47 UTC-3, Alex wrote:
True North wrote:
On Sunday, 30 July 2017 09:02:14 UTC-3, John H wrote:
I just 'paired' my cell phone to my panasonic home phones. Now when I get a cell phone call I can
hear the ring and answer it on my home phone.

Next step, disconnect the home phone from the land line and stop paying Cox the big bucks for the
telephone!

Yippee.

You guys should have told me about that years ago!

Now we can only hope that all the nuisance callers, who used to call your landline, get your cellphone number.

"We" would hope that? Only an asshole would hope that.

Therefore, you're included in the "we".

New tech for Loogie Hank©[_3_] General 4 November 6th 13 01:47 PM
303 vs UV Tech For Seals? (PeteCresswell) General 4 January 9th 07 05:44 PM
TECH HELP: Prop Pinhead30558 Cruising 0 May 1st 06 02:23 AM
Tech question...help??? [email protected] General 4 July 13th 05 04:08 AM