Murph_NH

Default Oil Changing Pump Systems

Hi All!

After 5 years of having my dealer winterize my boat, I decided to do it
myself this year. Having the boat 100 miles away from the dealer sure helped
my decision too. lol!

It's a '97 Glastron I/O with a 3.0LX Mercruiser. I got most of it done,
except for the oil change. Guess the oilpan drain is kinda tuff to get to
so I need a pump to pull the oil and crap out through the dipstick. Wondered
why the dipstick had a threaded brass collar - guess I know why now.

So, what to buy. I'm not gonna but a commercial system, so forget the $100+
systems - I only have one boat. I criused are the net and came up with 3
choices that made the most sense, but not sure which would be the best for
me. Advice IS needed!!! Here's my choices thus far unless I hear of any
others that make more sense...

- a small electric pump, roughly about $20 and lots of places sell them.
http://www.cabelas.com/information/M...-Oil-Pump.html

- a vacuum system from Airpower America. About $40 and could even use it on
my bike.
http://www.cabelas.com/information/M...d-Changer.html

- a hand pump system like this one from Tempo, about $50.
http://www.cabelas.com/information/M...iter-Pump.html

Ya, I do like Cabela's. lol! But they have been good to me over the years.
But, those are the types I have found. I kinda like the vacuum one, but I
need to hear from you all to hear which really is the best way to go.

Thanks all!

Murph

Steve Lawson

I had the same dilemma when changing my oil on my 3.0L in a Rinker V-180.
I had a similar pump when I had a much older OMC 3.0L. It seemed to take
forever and I was only able to pump about 3.5 quarts out of the motor even
though the dipstick showed the motor to be 'full' (4 qts I believe). This
was somewhat disconcerting, but in a 25 year old engine, I'd bet this had
happened quite a few times and the motor seemed to run just fine, so I guess
getting only 90% of the oil out is OK. BTW, you can get this system from
OVERTONS for around $50 delivered (the least expensive of the three I saw).

Now, on my Merc 3.0, there was NOT those threads. SO I devised a little
method that has similarities to the newer Merc 'quick change' plug and hose
system with an used gallon milk bottle and purchasing some clear hose that
would fit through the drain plug hole in the hull and a fitting that I could
glue into the 'lid' of the milk jug and then cut enough out of the jug so it
would fit behind the drain plug in the bottom of the hull (required taking
the bilge pump lose). I then used the drain plug to drain the oil into the
milk jug and it flowed into the jug, then through the hole in the lid
through the hose into a pail outside the boat through the drain hole. It
took a two drains....had to drain about half of it and put the plug in while
the slower draining oil from the bottle drained, then drained the remaining.
It was somewhat of a pain...but well worth the savings of the cost of
winterizing at the dealer. Draining the water from the block and manifold,
filling it with antifreeze, fogging the engine, etc was much easier but I
still accomplished the job for about a quarter of what the dealer was
charging not counting a 60 mile round trip to the dealer.

HOWEVER, having a dealer do it does give you one thing....a GUARANTEE if
anything goes wrong (i.e. you don't get all the water out and something
freezes and cracks) they should take care of the repairs or replacement of
some of the expensive components on the motor.

Hope this helps...

Steve L.

"Murph_NH" wrote in message
[...]

Messing In Boats

I bought one of those hand vacuum things and it gets all five quarts out
of my 5.7 Mercruiser in a few minutes with no mess at all, except for
the oil filter, which I can't blame on the oil changer thing. I'd buy
another if something happened to this one.

Mine doesn't have a threaded connector of any sorts, just a 1/4" plastic
tube that goes all the way down the dipstick to the bottom of the oil pan.

Capt. Jeff

Richard

Hi,

I have the same engine but in a Searay. I started with one of the vacuum
pump style units, but it was ridiculous to use, especially if it was a cool
fall day and the oil got thick. I bought a simple hand pump from Mercury
(Quicksilver) for about $20 that threads right onto the dip stick threads.
It is amazingly quick and easy to use. I recommend it highly. Have used it
for three winterizings so far. I have found the two most important things
to remember in winterizing in the north is to pump out the engine oil while
the engine is still warm, and warm up the lower unit gear oil a little in
the house before pumping it in. Good luck.
Rich.
"Murph_NH" wrote in message
[...]

Steve Lawson

Heres a link to the most inexpensive one I could find....similar to the one
I had that passed with my OMC 3.0 L when I sold the boat. Look to the very
bottom of the page

http://www.best-buys-sports.com/boat...e_systems.html

Steve L

Steve Barker

I built mine for less than $10 at a suggestion found on this board. If you
want details and a picture, let me know.

--
Steve
=======================
"Murph_NH" wrote in message
[...]

Clfox

Steve,
I would like the details and picture of the one you built. Send to

Thanks,
Charlie Fox

Can a single 72 gal per hour fuel pump run two 392 cu inch motors? Scott Downey General 4 October 19th 03 09:28 PM
Elec Question Water Pump & DC [email protected] General 3 August 14th 03 05:30 AM
Priming areator pump JTC General 0 August 8th 03 03:26 AM
Johnson O/B water pump problems in UK tregonissy General 1 July 28th 03 01:54 AM
Need to pump shit? Peggie Hall General 8 July 17th 03 12:31 AM