Default In solidarity with my northern friends

Keyser Soze wrote:
On 10/31/16 2:56 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 13:37:42 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 10/31/16 1:00 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 12:34:16 -0400,

wrote:

Water temperature in my pool - 92 °F, Air temp 82.6 °F .

Solar heater?

About a half dozen of our near-neighbors have nice in-ground pools, but
in all the years we've lived here, I've only seen one of these pools
being used during summer pool season. Obviously, my casual observations
during "drive bys" aren't scientific, but you would think on the really
steamy summer days here, you'd see bunches of kids in the pools.

That is not unusual. There are plenty of people around here who never
use their pools but that is not me. I am in it several times a day for
about 8-9 months a year. Dec/Jan/Feb it doesn't get used much but if
the kids are here or something, I do have a 330KBTU gas heater.
Realistically, kids don't care. It is seldom above 70 and that is
warmer than Lake Michigan ever seems to get up where they are.
It was the middle of August when we were there and it was 69

Long Island Sound was cold enough for me when I was a kid and eager to
swim. I don't recall the Sound water temps back then, but I doubt they
were 70 or higher. One summer my dad sold a truckload of rowboats to a
friend of his who owned a summer camp in New Hampshire. I went along on
the delivery and when we got there, I saw all the kids swimming so I
decided to do so, too. The lake temp was incredibly cold to me, so I got
right out. Guess it depends on what you are used to...

On my first trip to California in the early 1970s, I wanted to swim in
the Pacific. Too cold for me, got right out.

My buddy lived at Tahoe. His son had no problem swimming in the lake. As
to the California coas, depends where you are. Here we are on the Humbolt
current and it is normally 48-55 year round. Dividing point is Morro Bay.
South of the point, water is 20 degrees warmer.

On 10/31/16 4:22 PM, Califbill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
On 10/31/16 2:56 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 13:37:42 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I got into the water halfway up to my knees at Bodega Bay, north of San
Francisco. Then I got out. I don't know what the temp was, but it was
mighty cold. Too cold for me at Paradise Cove, near LA, and too cold off
a beach in the San Diego area. What good are these oceans if you can't
swim in them, anyway?

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 15:47:53 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 10/31/16 2:56 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 13:37:42 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

It is just what you get used to. Henk was here today (they just got
here from the Netherlands). He thinks 20-21c (~70) is plenty warm
enough.

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 16:29:14 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

I got into the water halfway up to my knees at Bodega Bay, north of San
Francisco. Then I got out. I don't know what the temp was, but it was
mighty cold. Too cold for me at Paradise Cove, near LA, and too cold off
a beach in the San Diego area. What good are these oceans if you can't
swim in them, anyway?

We froze in Santa Cruz in June

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/california/...nta%20Cruz.jpg

wrote:

I got into the water halfway up to my knees at Bodega Bay, north of San
Francisco. Then I got out. I don't know what the temp was, but it was
mighty cold. Too cold for me at Paradise Cove, near LA, and too cold off
a beach in the San Diego area. What good are these oceans if you can't
swim in them, anyway?

We froze in Santa Cruz in June

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/california/...nta%20Cruz.jpg

That is why we own a couple different wetsuits. Surfing, 3 mil, scuba
diving 7 mil, San Diego shorty spring suit.

wrote:

I got into the water halfway up to my knees at Bodega Bay, north of San
Francisco. Then I got out. I don't know what the temp was, but it was
mighty cold. Too cold for me at Paradise Cove, near LA, and too cold off
a beach in the San Diego area. What good are these oceans if you can't
swim in them, anyway?

"We froze in Santa Cruz in June"

Oh my...we see a number of cruise ship passengers looking like your wife in the fall.
Trick here is to find a good jacket/coat that not only acts like a windbreaker, but resists rain while "breathing".
For heavy rain you need a real rain coat.

wrote:

I got into the water halfway up to my knees at Bodega Bay, north of San
Francisco. Then I got out. I don't know what the temp was, but it was
mighty cold. Too cold for me at Paradise Cove, near LA, and too cold off
a beach in the San Diego area. What good are these oceans if you can't
swim in them, anyway?

"We froze in Santa Cruz in June"

Oh my...we see a number of cruise ship passengers looking like your wife in the fall.
Trick here is to find a good jacket/coat that not only acts like a windbreaker, but resists rain while "breathing".
For heavy rain you need a real rain coat.

===

For cold, rainy weather you need a better climate - same for snow and
ice. Ice is for drinks and skating rinks.

wrote:

I got into the water halfway up to my knees at Bodega Bay, north of San
Francisco. Then I got out. I don't know what the temp was, but it was
mighty cold. Too cold for me at Paradise Cove, near LA, and too cold off
a beach in the San Diego area. What good are these oceans if you can't
swim in them, anyway?

"We froze in Santa Cruz in June"

Oh my...we see a number of cruise ship passengers looking like your wife in the fall.
Trick here is to find a good jacket/coat that not only acts like a windbreaker, but resists rain while "breathing".
For heavy rain you need a real rain coat.

I hear the natives use sealskins for that

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

wrote:

I got into the water halfway up to my knees at Bodega Bay, north of San
Francisco. Then I got out. I don't know what the temp was, but it was
mighty cold. Too cold for me at Paradise Cove, near LA, and too cold off
a beach in the San Diego area. What good are these oceans if you can't
swim in them, anyway?

"We froze in Santa Cruz in June"

Oh my...we see a number of cruise ship passengers looking like your wife in the fall.
Trick here is to find a good jacket/coat that not only acts like a windbreaker, but resists rain while "breathing".
For heavy rain you need a real rain coat.

I hear the natives use sealskins for that

The white ones from the baby seals they club to death?

northern 25 [email protected] General 0 December 29th 14 07:22 PM
The northern snakehead John H.[_5_] General 4 September 12th 08 12:08 AM
And, for you Northern cruisers... Larry Cruising 1 December 26th 07 04:59 PM
For Northern Boaters Only JimH General 8 October 5th 06 05:33 PM
northern chesapeake ? SrScubalot General 5 October 22nd 03 03:16 PM