Bob Cent

Default Trailerable sailboats

Hi,

I am shopping for a trailerable sailboat and need people's opinions to help
me find a good match. My requirements include sleeping four, stability is
more important than speed and minimal launching time is desirable. I look
forward to hearing any model recommendations as well as specific features to
look for.

Thanks.

Bob Cent

What part of the country are you in?

Seattle.

Don White

I've been thinking about a few older versions in plentiful supply in parts
of Canada, although not always in the Maritime
Provinces.
18' Sandpiper approx 1200 lbs net
17' Siren (I had owned a new one in '84) 700 lbs
(too big for my Plymouth Voyager mini-van) 21' Sirus about 2000 lbs
before trailer etc
see http://www.sailboatsales.com/used.asp

Bob Cent wrote in message
Hi,

I am shopping for a trailerable sailboat and need people's opinions to

help
me find a good match. My requirements include sleeping four, stability is
more important than speed and minimal launching time is desirable. I look
forward to hearing any model recommendations as well as specific features

look for.

Thanks.

Gould 0738

What part of the country are you in?

Seattle.

Oone of the boats you will want to consider is the MacGregor. See the guys at
Bluewater Yachts on the 2100 block of Westlake. It's a small, family run
operation and you will never meet nicer people.

Serious sailors sort of pooh-pooh this boat,
but there are hundreds of them out there and the actual owners seem to like
them a lot. For just knock-around sailing and NW island hopping, they are
probably fine.

Jim

I guess I should have clarified that. I know of no trailerable
sailboat that *I* would consider for open water. I haven't sailed in
years so I don't know what's out there now. I guess I got spoiled
for the stability of the fixed (and heavy) keel. The last sailboat I
was on was a 38' Nicholson, but that one was actually designed for
sailing around the world. Probably not a good example.

-Jim

wrote:

Why is that? There are many trailerable sailboats that are quite fit for open
water. Even some rather smallish ones like the Seaward Fox and the West Wight
Potter. Seaward also makes larger boats that are trailerable.

HardwareLust

"Bob Cent" wrote in message
Hi,

I am shopping for a trailerable sailboat and need people's opinions to

help
me find a good match. My requirements include sleeping four, stability is
more important than speed and minimal launching time is desirable. I look
forward to hearing any model recommendations as well as specific features

look for.

Finding a trailerable boat that's comfortable to berth 4 adults can be a
tall order. If you're talking about 2 adults and 2 kids, then you have
many, many boats to choose from. Also, are we talking a new boat or a used
boat? What's your budget?

Rich

A friend has a Precision, and is quite happy.

Here's a review from a owner of a 21:

http://www.precisionowners.com/P-21MeyerReview.htm

Rich