Default Supremes let "Assault Weapon" ban stand

On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 07:08:12 -0500, John H.
wrote:

On Tue, 8 Dec 2015 03:56:43 -0800 (PST), Tim wrote:

On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 9:28:12 AM UTC-6, Keyser Söze wrote:
On 12/7/15 10:22 AM, Tim wrote:
Harry this tells me that you got rid of a 50 yr of design assault rifle in leu of a 150 year old design assault rifle.

Probably, but the replacement for the Colt looks like your run of the
mill ordinary rifle.

How are you feeling, by the way? On the road to recovery, I hope.

Actually Im feeling rather well, thanks for asking. Yesterday, I went to the dr. for a follow up, and will start cardio-therapy at my local hospital next week. Still got a ways to go but the immediate dangers are over, at least that's the popular opinion...

I would think some rabbit hunting would be good cardio-therapy.

===

Not if you do it in cold weather. There's something about exertion in
the cold that seems to bring on heart attacks.
Tim Tim is offline

On 12/7/15 10:22 AM, Tim wrote:
Harry this tells me that you got rid of a 50 yr of design assault rifle in leu of a 150 year old design assault rifle.

Probably, but the replacement for the Colt looks like your run of the
mill ordinary rifle.

How are you feeling, by the way? On the road to recovery, I hope.

Actually Im feeling rather well, thanks for asking. Yesterday, I went to the dr. for a follow up, and will start cardio-therapy at my local hospital next week. Still got a ways to go but the immediate dangers are over, at least that's the popular opinion...

I would think some rabbit hunting would be good cardio-therapy.

===

Not if you do it in cold weather. There's something about exertion in
the cold that seems to bring on heart attacks.

In the bitter cold, yes It's in the high 40 low 50s here which isn't bad, pretty comfortable actually. If it's really cold and I have to go out I'll wear some kind of make... probably.

On Mon, 7 Dec 2015 12:07:33 -0500, Keyser Söze wrote:

On 12/7/15 11:59 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 7 Dec 2015 10:02:35 -0500, Keyser Söze wrote:

I think I mentioned here I sold my "Assault Weapon," my Colt AR 15, some
months ago. It was a fine rifle, but the more I thought about what it
was, the more it troubled me to own it. I replaced it with a more
traditional-looking rifle that handles the same round, and I actually
prefer using it with small magazines.

My M1A looks like a traditional rifle. It is not really an assault
rifle tho because it is not selective fire and it shoots a full sized
cartridge. Ballistically the 7.62x51 is pretty much identical to the
30-06. You can shoot the same bullets at the same velocities,
particularly if you use SAAMI .308 loadings but the milspec "ball"
round is about the same.

My "replacement" for the Colt is a Ruger Mini 14 "Ranch", the one with a
black "plastic" (the plastic has a fancier name, but it is plastic to
me) stock. I put a scope mount rail on it, and for the moment I have a
red dot sight on the rifle. The only modification I've made so far is to
send the trigger assembly out for a "full trigger job" to smooth and
lighten the action. It shoots the stockpile of .223 and 5.56 ammo I have.

For what it's worth, the Ruger Mini 14 *is* on the Highland Park list of banned
assault weapons.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

On 12/7/15 11:59 AM, wrote:
[...]

I didn't know that, but I'm not surprised. We have a crazy quilt of gun
regulations. In Maryland, as has often been mentioned, if you buy a new
AR15 type rifle, it has to have what is called a "heavy barrel," or
HBAR. But there are no restrictions on the purchase of an AR10, a far
more deadly black rifle that fires the 30 caliber military round. The
Ruger Mini 14 is available here in Maryland without restriction, as is
the Mini 30, which fires the "AK" round.

On 12/7/15 10:22 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]

It's a ffffreeezing 58 here this morning. No snow however but it
feels like there should be.

John H.
"I would think some rabbit hunting would be good cardio-therapy."

Yeah...that makes a lot of sense.
Celebrate surviving a potential life threatening situation by killing something else.
That seems so 'merican!
Tim Tim is offline

So walk slowly. Rabbit hunting need not be high on the exertion list. Shouldn't be
any worse than a walk to the post office.

John, rabbit hunting will be fine but we need a good hard frost to get rid of the sickly ones first. Tromping around the fence rows and brush piles is always good for the heart...

On 12/7/15 11:59 AM, wrote:
[...]

Just for giggles I tried to find out if the Ruger Mini 14 is
Massachusetts compliant on the web. Bottom line is ... I don't have a
clue. Some sources say yes, others say no. I'd have to call a gun shop
I guess to find out for sure but since I am not in the market for one, I
won't bother.

Wacko laws here. Something about "evil features". It seems you can
have no more than one "evil feature". A flash hider counts as one.
If it threads onto the barrel, apparently the threads count as another.

Even the permits that are issued don't make sense. When I first obtained
a permit it was called a "Class A". Apparently that has changed. It's
now simply called a "License to Carry"
and is defined as:

"Permits the purchase, possession, transportation and carrying of all
large and non-large-capacity handguns, rifles, shotguns and feeding
devices a well as ammunition. This is the only license that allows the
carrying of concealed handguns-either loaded or unloaded."

Yet, a magazine of any type that can hold more than ten rounds is
illegal. So, what's the point in having the permit allow "large"
capacity handguns and rifles? The MA law regarding "large capacity"
is as follows:

"A large-capacity firearm is defined as a semi-automatic handgun or
rifle that is capable of accepting more than ten rounds, OR is a
semi-automatic shotgun capable of accepting more than five shotgun
shells, OR is an assault weapon.

So, my permit says I can legally own an assault weapon with a 30 round
magazine but another section of the MA law says both are illegal to own.

On Tue, 8 Dec 2015 06:15:07 -0800 (PST), True North wrote:

John H.
"I would think some rabbit hunting would be good cardio-therapy."

Yeah...that makes a lot of sense.
Celebrate surviving a potential life threatening situation by killing something else.
That seems so 'merican!

I'm sure there is no hunting in Canada, right?

Do you not eat meat?
--

Ban idiots, not guns!