Default **** happens

We came home to a puddle in the basement the week before last. It has become a major
problem. Apparently a pinhole leak has been going for quite some time, maybe a year
or more. The sheetrock walls between the kitchen and powder room have been soaked.
There is also a lot of moisture under the tiles in the kitchen around the same areas.
The wall covering (sheetrock) will have to come down, along with the kitchen cabinets
on that side. Plus, the tile floor and tile above the counter will have to be taken
out. The entire kitchen floor will be retiled.

If that wasn't enough, the leak has also caused a lot of mold. If the mold under the
tile cannot be cleaned, then the subfloor will also have to be replaced.

So, that's where things stand now. We're waiting on the insurance to approve the
estimate for the mold removal.

But, the trip to Shenandoah River State Park was a blast. Floating down the
Shenandoah on a tube has got to be one of the most relaxing activities going.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

On Thu, 03 Sep 2015 07:27:00 -0400, John H.
wrote:

[...]

===

Bad news John, sorry to hear that. Is it a pipe leak? It's really
important to stay ahead of the mold issue.

On 9/3/2015 7:27 AM, John H. wrote:

[...]

Thank God you weren't mistaken for a stray dog by one of those, from out
of state, open carrying yahoos.

wrote:

[...]

For sure. One of our neighbors in Florida had a major roof leak during
one of the hurricanes and they didn't address the water damage soon
enough. Mold set in and they ended up having to abandon the house and
have it razed.

One of our houses also had some serious water damage to the inside. The
roof didn't leak but the wind blew the main entry double doors open on
the first floor (they opened inward) and then all the rest of the
double doors on the first and second floor were blown open outward.
Wind swept rain throughout the house resulted. Fortunately, my nephew
(who is a contractor) was there and he immediately ripped up the rugs
and any wet floorboards on the second story and cutout any wet sheet
rock sections that he found throughout the house. The first floor was
all tile on a concrete slab, so no floor damage was done there. He let
everything dry out and then replaced the affected sections. Fortunately
we didn't have any mold issues. I understand that once it starts, it
can be a bitch to get rid of.

wrote:

[...]

A pin hole leak:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...s/P1010565.jpg

The mold issue is the big problem now. It's in the walls, behind the baseboard, and
most likely on the subfloor under the ceramic tile in the powder room and kitchen.
The moisture detector got readings through the tile. Most likely the tile and the
subfloor will need replacing. What a mess.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

wrote:

[...]

Well, I'll let you know. It has most definitely started. The big question is how hard
will it be to get off the subfloor under the tiles. If it can be dried and either
cleaned or sanded off, then that will be done. Otherwise the whole floor will need
replacing.

This sucks.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

wrote:

[...]

Does your house have a basement? If so, the wetness and mold may not
have traveled too far assuming your base floor is planks and not plywood.

wrote:

[...]

That may indicate a far more serious problem. You need to cut out that
section of pipe and see why it is leaking. You might find out there is
significant erosion of all of the pipe. That is somewhat unusual up
there where you have good water but people in the Cape around Wayne's
place have had a lot of serious pin holing problems in copper pipe.
The last I heard it was still in court with the plaintiffs fighting
about whether it was bad pipe, bad water or an electrical problem.
All of that made me a plastic pipe fan although there is some copper
in here that has been OK for 50 years.

wrote:

[...]

The basement has a concrete floor. No mold there. The mold is in the walls under the
leak and, most likely, in the material under the ceramic tile in the kitchen and
bath. I'm not sure what that material is, depends on how much money the folks before
me spent on putting in the tile.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

Silly boy! I was referring to the base floor under the the kitchen sub
floor. Is the Harry "cant read" disease spreading?

Who gives a shit? jps General 123 June 27th 11 07:13 PM
Shit happens. Lil' John General 31 July 22nd 09 01:56 AM
Holy shit... [email protected] General 12 May 7th 09 01:30 AM
Bob = Cat SHIT SkitchNYC ASA 3 July 19th 03 10:48 PM
Need to pump shit? Peggie Hall General 8 July 17th 03 12:31 AM