Default I knew a "500" S&W was good for something...

On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 14:08:32 -0500, Califbill billnews wrote:

wrote:

I don't think a .357 is a plinker either, unless you are shooting .38
wad cutters out of it. That was the round I loaded most often. A 148gr
wc in front of about 2.5 gr of Bullseye was a very pleasant load to
shoot, very accurate and easy on the brass.
If I was loading a full power .357 round, the brass takes a beating,
along with the shooter. I was loading some stuff that was a bit hotter
than anything you could buy. I had a 125gr round nose half jacket that
was going 1725 FPS. That is smoking for a .357. It was not pleasant to
shoot tho and I threw the brass away.

I agree. I rarely fire 357 in the 357. Mostly 38's or reloaded 357 with
semi wad utters.

That 2.5 gr of Bullseye behind the 148 gr wad cutter is a great round
for casual plinking or paper busting. It was pretty slow tho, I don't
remember exactly but I think it chronos at 750 fps or so. I know it
was really slow.
A can of power is a lifetime supply tho. I had a supply of really
cheap bullets and primers were less than a penny each if you bought in
volume. I was shooting .38 for about what 22rf was going for..

On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 15:20:46 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 8/26/15 1:19 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 12:44:26 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

Why would you want to "plink" with it, unless you are into hurting your
wrist/arm and annoying everyone around you?

I think that was what I said ;-)

If you shot the cowboy rounds out of it, you would save yourself a lot
of punishment.
I don't think a .357 is a plinker either, unless you are shooting .38
wad cutters out of it. That was the round I loaded most often. A 148gr
wc in front of about 2.5 gr of Bullseye was a very pleasant load to
shoot, very accurate and easy on the brass.
If I was loading a full power .357 round, the brass takes a beating,
along with the shooter. I was loading some stuff that was a bit hotter
than anything you could buy. I had a 125gr round nose half jacket that
was going 1725 FPS. That is smoking for a .357. It was not pleasant to
shoot tho and I threw the brass away.

I don't reload, so I don't care if my .357 MAG brass takes a beating. I
do dump the "empties" into a plastic box and give them to a buddy, who
does reload. But, actually, he trades the empties I give him to someone
who gives him back brass in a size he uses.

I haven't found my .357 unpleasant to shoot with full power rounds. It's
certainly noisy, though. I wear plugs inside my electronic muffs.

The last time I took it to the range, I went through nearly two full
50-round boxes of .357 rounds. The S&W is a terrific shooter.

Blast is a big part of it and I was shooting inside.
When my buddy tried out his new 29 Smith at my house, it took pictures
off the wall. (worse than a 12 ga)
It felt like someone hitting you in the face with a wet towel. I did
have to call bull**** on Dirty Harry shooting his .44 in that concrete
hallway with no hearing protection.

John H. wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 20:32:53 -0400, Alex wrote:

wrote:
On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 19:40:35 -0400, Alex wrote:

wrote:
On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 15:52:49 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 8/25/15 3:41 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 14:17:04 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsOJr9RHlh8

Actually this fellow is a terrific shot who has posted some amazing
firearm vids, if you are into that sort of thing.

He did get a snack out of this shoot.
It was interesting how fast it shed the energy on the watermelons

I'd be reluctant to shoot and waste a tasty watermelon!

I'm not sure what the hell you'd want a revolver that size for, other
than shooting watermelons. It sure isn't something you'd be able to
handle quickly and properly if you were in Alaska and were about to be
eaten by a huge bear.
I am not sure why you couldn't handle it quickly. The follow up shot
may be a bit slower but you should be able to get on target pretty
quickly if you handle the gun enough to be comfortable with it.

This is the kind of gun that almost demands that you reload.
You could load up some stuff at .45 ACP ballistics to get used to
pointing the gun, then load full power to get used to the recoil, if
that is possible.

It's not that bad and there are YouTube videos of women shooting it with
one hand!
It is still not something I would like to shoot a lot with full power
loads. That is particularly true if I was just doing point and shoot
drills.
I agree you should do some training with the full power load but a lot
is just as effective with a reduced charge. Cheaper too since you
could shoot cast bullets at subsonic speeds.

It's part of my collection but something I'll bring out when I shoot
with my friends who have never fired one. A lot of people at the range
ask about it and I'll let them fire it too if they have experience with
firearms. Same with the .50AE Desert Eagle. Sure they are novelty
guns, more than anything else, but they are fun to shoot!

I'll bet you've never posted pictures of your ammo either!
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

No, but I have enough to entertain friends. Maybe two hundred rounds of
each.

John H. wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 20:39:40 -0400, Alex wrote:

True North wrote:
Keyser Söze
On 8/26/15 8:22 AM, Tim wrote:
I have shot one several times. Its angry. Especially at $3. A pull

"I suppose if you are a "collector" of S&W revolvers, it is one you might
like to have. I've watched a handful of videos of "professional"
shooters firing it off at various targets, and it doesn't seem as if it
were much fun to shoot...really heavy revolver, lots of recoil and
muzzle flip, loud, expensive ammo. We don't have much "grizz" around
here, and if I really needed a revolver for "defense," I think my .357
MAG is more than sufficient.

$3 a pop for ammo? Now *that* is a giggle."

You would need a bloated 'Uncle Sam' pension to afford that ammo.

We're not all retired yet. My income allows me to have nice toys.

I'm not eligible for any pensions yet my 401K will serve me well. This
downturn in the market has been a great buying opportunity for those of
us not drawing from our retirement funds!

So which of the Vanguard ETFs should be getting my $57?
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

I don't invest in ETF's but now would be a good buy in any if you are
day trading! I like target date mutual funds but I have a blend of
stocks and other mutual funds, too - about 30 different equities. I've
haven't played in commodities but I wish I had an account when oil
dipped into the 30's!
Tim Tim is offline

http://outdooroverload.com/woman-sho...-a-boss-video/

Tim wrote:
http://outdooroverload.com/woman-sho...-a-boss-video/

I have the 6-1/2". That looks like the 8.38" There's a substantial
difference in muzzle flip and felt recoil between the two. The 4" is a
handful!

On 8/31/2015 8:10 PM, Alex wrote:
Tim wrote:
http://outdooroverload.com/woman-sho...-a-boss-video/

I have the 6-1/2". That looks like the 8.38" There's a substantial
difference in muzzle flip and felt recoil between the two. The 4" is a
handful!

Just watched Tim's video for the first time. I am no expert but I'd say
that's *not* the way to shoot a 500 Magnum. Notice the locked elbows.
(You may have to watch the video two or three times before you
even notice her elbows though).

Tim Tim is offline

On Monday, August 31, 2015 at 7:10:52 PM UTC-5, Alex wrote:
Tim wrote:
http://outdooroverload.com/woman-sho...-a-boss-video/

I have the 6-1/2". That looks like the 8.38" There's a substantial
difference in muzzle flip and felt recoil between the two. The 4" is a
handful!

I've shot the 4"

It is a handful!

Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 8/31/2015 8:10 PM, Alex wrote:
Tim wrote:
http://outdooroverload.com/woman-sho...-a-boss-video/

I have the 6-1/2". That looks like the 8.38" There's a substantial
difference in muzzle flip and felt recoil between the two. The 4" is a
handful!

Just watched Tim's video for the first time. I am no expert but I'd
say that's *not* the way to shoot a 500 Magnum. Notice the locked
elbows. (You may have to watch the video two or three times before you
even notice her elbows though).

I didn't notice that since I don't fire *any* guns with locked elbows.
Seems unnatural.