Default I knew a "500" S&W was good for something...

On 8/26/15 12:03 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 11:09:33 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 8/26/15 11:07 AM,
wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 05:22:58 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

I have shot one several times. Its angry. Especially at $3. A pull

That is why I say a guy with one, should be reloading. With revolvers,
recovering the brass is not even hard.

It's a buck and a half a shot with factory loads. What's you guess about
reloading, assuming you recycled the brass a few times and were buying
readymade bullets?

You will run into the same issue with bullets as Tim was referencing,
small production runs but a buck a pop would not surprise me for a
performance bullet. Cast bullets should be a lot cheaper., maybe 30-40
cents, way less if you cast your own.. Primers and powder are pennies
a shot.
These hand cannons remind me of the chopper (motorcycles) that were
popular in the 70s. When I questioned the tiny gas tank, the guy said
"if you go that far you will want to get off anyway".
I doubt anyone is going to shoot a lot of full power loads.

I looked a little and there are some "cowboy" loads that push out
subsonic cast bullets and should shoot fairly easy.

The full power load is at least 3-4 times the energy.

I pay about 30 cents a round for decent factory 158 grain .357 MAG
rounds, similar to what I pay for .223 rifle ammo. That seems enough to
spend on ammo to me.

Tim wrote:
I think I'd be more suitable for a rifle cartridge myself

Problem with rifle round in a pistol, is the designed burn length. You get
lots of noise and a huge fireball out of a pistol. Would need to reload to
get better performance. Only pistol I sold was a Ruger .30 Carbine
revolver. As my dad said, you can cook the game at the same time you shoot
it. Was like the 3rd loudest pistol at the time. 70's.

On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 12:18:10 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 8/26/15 12:03 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 11:09:33 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

The .500 S&W is not your regular plinker.
It is like comparing a Bugatti to a Camry

On 8/26/15 12:32 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 12:18:10 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 8/26/15 12:03 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 11:09:33 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Why would you want to "plink" with it, unless you are into hurting your
wrist/arm and annoying everyone around you?

On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 12:44:26 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 8/26/15 12:32 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 12:18:10 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 8/26/15 12:03 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 11:09:33 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I think that was what I said ;-)

If you shot the cowboy rounds out of it, you would save yourself a lot
of punishment.
I don't think a .357 is a plinker either, unless you are shooting .38
wad cutters out of it. That was the round I loaded most often. A 148gr
wc in front of about 2.5 gr of Bullseye was a very pleasant load to
shoot, very accurate and easy on the brass.
If I was loading a full power .357 round, the brass takes a beating,
along with the shooter. I was loading some stuff that was a bit hotter
than anything you could buy. I had a 125gr round nose half jacket that
was going 1725 FPS. That is smoking for a .357. It was not pleasant to
shoot tho and I threw the brass away.

On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 12:32:50 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 12:18:10 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 8/26/15 12:03 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 11:09:33 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Sounds like it would be a great gun for someone who is constantly seeking attention.
Gosh, it would be very photogenic, especially if the photo included lots of ammo.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!
Tim Tim is offline

Greg, at those pressures it can often times swell the cylinders. A guy I know did that with a .44 mag and made it hotter. It swelled the cylinder bad enough he had to knock the spent shells out with hammer slightly tapping on a metal rod. Not the best idea

wrote:

On 8/26/15 12:32 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 12:18:10 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 8/26/15 12:03 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 11:09:33 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I agree. I rarely fire 357 in the 357. Mostly 38's or reloaded 357 with
semi wad utters.