Default In Virginia, so ....

.... maybe I'll go buy a gun or something. :-)

On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 18:13:51 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

... maybe I'll go buy a gun or something. :-)

===

Sure, just don't bring it back through New York. Otherwise the Grey
Bar Hotel awaits you. Free country? Not so much.

wrote:

... maybe I'll go buy a gun or something. :-)

===

Sure, just don't bring it back through New York. Otherwise the Grey
Bar Hotel awaits you. Free country? Not so much.

On my way to SC to scope things out a little ... and maybe buy a boat.
Been a while since I drove the infamous I-95. I was concerned about the
George Washington bridge and almost went the long way around. Decided
to try the GWB at the last minute. No problem at all. Breezed right
through. Surprised the hell out of me.

wrote:

... maybe I'll go buy a gun or something. :-)

===

Sure, just don't bring it back through New York. Otherwise the Grey
Bar Hotel awaits you. Free country? Not so much.

On my way to SC to scope things out a little ... and maybe buy a boat.
Been a while since I drove the infamous I-95. I was concerned about the
George Washington bridge and almost went the long way around. Decided
to try the GWB at the last minute. No problem at all. Breezed right
through. Surprised the hell out of me.

===

I drove the GWB twice a day for many years. Weekends are generally
OK except for Sunday nights coming back into the city. If you hear on
the radio that the GWB is backed up, the Tappan Zee Bridge is
generally a good alternate. You have to be familiar with the local
roads however.

In my opinion SC is too cold in the winter. They do have a lot of
nice waterfront property along the ICW but November through
March/April is decidedly on the chilly side. Inland is worse although
much better than MA.

wrote:

[...]

We tried Florida (Jupiter) for three winters. Never spent a summer
there though. I loved it. Mrs.E. not so much.

There's a reason for her interest in SC. My oldest son and family moved
there almost 3 years ago and they have the most grand-kids (4),
including 3 year old twins. They are in Mt. Pleasant which is very near
the Isle of Palms marina. I stopped there years ago on the Navigator
and liked the area.

We'll see. It's one of the reasons I am making this trip.
(The main reason is I am bored and need something to do.)

wrote:

[...]

Nice area for boating and Charleston has its attractions of course.

Our center of gravity has also shifted a bit with the birth of our
first grand daughter last january.

wrote:

[...]

Yup. You spend your working career raising your own and then they go
out, get married, and it starts all over again.

We have a total of 7 grand-kids (so far). The Italian Mrs.E. thinks
they are all hers.

wrote:

[...]

You only thought you were done paying when they graduated college and moved
out. . .
Tim Tim is offline

Bill, Richard, Wayne- 'child support' never ends...

On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 22:40:02 -0500, BAR wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:

... maybe I'll go buy a gun or something. :-)

===

Sure, just don't bring it back through New York. Otherwise the Grey
Bar Hotel awaits you. Free country? Not so much.

Federal law says you can take a firearm form a pleace where you are able
to posses it to another place where you can posses it as long as you
store it in your vehicle/luggage according to the federal firearms
transportation regulations.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

===

Apparently the NY gendarmes have not caught up with federal law. There
are a lot of horror stories floating around where people have had
their hand guns legally declared and packed, only to be arrested at a
NY airport when their ongoing flight was cancelled. Supposedly the
airlines are required to report those instances to local law
enforcement and they arrest you as soon as you claim your baggage.

Here's a blurb by a NY attorney named Peter H. Tilem that specializes
in defending clients in cases like that:

I am a criminal lawyer in New York that represents clients in regard
to Second Amendment issues. I am also an NRA Certified Instructor and
Member. Sadly, I have represented numerous individuals who tried to
follow the procedures outlined on the TSA and Airline websites at New
York Airports. These people are arrested and usually charged with
class "C" violent felonies in New York which carry mandatory minimums
of 3 1/2 years in prison. While generally, we obtain very good
outcomes in these cases the individuals involved are arrested, their
guns are seized, they miss their flights, spend 24 hours in central
booking and spend a lot of money on a lawyer. In addition, although
Federal Law protects travelers who are merely passing through a state,
most often the Police are able to obtain a statement from the traveler
that establishes that they did not follow the rules required to avail
themselves of the Federal Defense.
Lastly, the travelers who are arrested generally check their firearm
through the Airline on the trip to New York. It is the same Airline
that fails to warn the traveler of the potential consequences of
having a firearm in New York that generally calls the police as they
try to return from New York.

Quoted from a recent article in Guns & Ammo magazine about traveling
with a firearm.

Higher Ed in Virginia jps General 8 December 13th 09 09:23 PM
US Virginia Newport RI Paul McGrane Tall Ship Photos 1 July 17th 07 02:24 AM
Something-ville Virginia?? Hoges in WA Cruising 20 March 16th 07 03:39 AM
Virginia Marinas?? Rosalie B. Cruising 0 November 13th 05 04:18 AM
Virginia: The Old Dominion JudyWoodson General 0 July 19th 05 05:02 PM