Tim Tim is offline

Default Hey Richard

What's the model and year of your John Deere?

On 12/3/2014 10:41 AM, Tim wrote:

What's the model and year of your John Deere?

I think it's a model 790. I bought it new about 13 years ago.
Looks like this, except mine is a lot more beat up now.

http://www.bwsequipment.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/DSC_1129-1024x682.jpg

On Wed, 03 Dec 2014 10:56:38 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 12/3/2014 10:41 AM, Tim wrote:

What's the model and year of your John Deere?

I think it's a model 790. I bought it new about 13 years ago.
Looks like this, except mine is a lot more beat up now.

http://www.bwsequipment.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/DSC_1129-1024x682.jpg

===

Wow, that's a lot of horse ****. :-)

wrote:

On 12/3/2014 10:41 AM, Tim wrote:

What's the model and year of your John Deere?

I think it's a model 790. I bought it new about 13 years ago.
Looks like this, except mine is a lot more beat up now.

http://www.bwsequipment.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/DSC_1129-1024x682.jpg

===

Wow, that's a lot of horse ****. :-)

That be true.

It's an amazing little tractor though. I've abused it many times,
lifting huge boulders that exceeded it's lifting capacity and nothing
major has broken. It's a little beat up now but still runs and works
fine. When we put the pool in the contractors were having a heck of a
time with their ditch digger because of the number of large rocks and
boulders in the ground. I ended up doing all the trenches for the water
manifolds and electrical services with the back hoe attachment.

I did a lot of landscaping with it but now that it's all done we use it
mainly for dressing the riding circle in the horse paddock. We have an
attachment that has three wheels with spikes welded on them that turn
the ground and refresh the riding surface for the horses' tender hoofs.

That and moving snow piles around in the winter.

Tim Tim is offline

Richard the reason I asked about your tractor is if you really wanted to help it start in the cold cold, you might consider a block heater, wick isn't hard to install. But does take a bit of work. A cheap one (400w) are about 35 bucks and are about as worthless as that pan heater you bought. A good 1000w runs about 120 bucks but works quite well. Installation requires draining the coolant from the block, removing a freeze plug, installing the heater unit and refilling. When it's about 20 degrees outside you can plug it in for about a half hour before starting and the tractor should spin right over. It doesn't make the block toasty hot but does warm the engine enough to make a huge diffrence.

I thought I'd mention it, but you might get by with a better battery. The glow plugs pull hard...

On 12/3/2014 11:39 PM, Tim wrote:

Richard the reason I asked about your tractor is if you really wanted to help it

start in the cold cold, you might consider a block heater, wick isn't
hard to install. But does take a bit of work. A cheap one (400w) are
about 35 bucks and are about as worthless as that pan heater you bought.
A good 1000w runs about 120 bucks but works quite well. Installation
requires draining the coolant from the block, removing a freeze plug,
installing the heater unit and refilling. When it's about 20 degrees
outside you can plug it in for about a half hour before starting and the
tractor should spin right over. It doesn't make the block toasty hot but
does warm the engine enough to make a huge diffrence.

I thought I'd mention it, but you might get by with a better battery. The glow plugs pull hard...

Thanks Tim,

Actually I looked into installing a block heater like the one you
mentioned but decided it wasn't a project I felt like undertaking.
That's when I decided to try the magnetic heater. I agree, it's pretty
much worthless.

I've managed to get by this long by trying to start (killing the
battery) and then hooking up a small, 6 amp battery charger to recharge
and warm up the battery. On really cold days it might take two or three
evolutions of doing this but it finally fires up. Once it has started,
it's good for restarts for the rest of the day.

I am hoping that before too long this will no longer be an issue. Hope
to be in warmer climates. I can always put it in the garage overnight
when I know I'll need it (snow storm).

Tim Tim is offline

Understood Richard. But now that you've described your starting procedures I'd say you need a good battery.

On Thu, 4 Dec 2014 05:44:47 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

Understood Richard. But now that you've described your starting procedures I'd say you need a good battery.

I'd say he should invest in a tractor shed and a space heater. If the
shed was big enough, he could use it as a 'man cave' also - a safe
place to store and clean all his registered guns.
--

"The modern definition of 'racist' is someone who's winning an argument
with a liberal."

....Peter Brimelow (Author)
(Thanks, Luddite!)

wrote:

Understood Richard. But now that you've described your starting procedures I'd say you need a good battery.

I'd say he should invest in a tractor shed and a space heater. If the
shed was big enough, he could use it as a 'man cave' also - a safe
place to store and clean all his registered guns.

No need to build a tractor shed. The house has a large, heated garage
with 12'x12' doors that can house 3 cars if necessary. Mrs.E. doesn't
like to put cars (or tractors) in it though because it's a winter
playground area for the dogs. For a while it was her "office room",
piled high with her "stuff". Took a while but with the help of a 15
yard dumpster we cleaned it all out last summer, so it's pretty much empty.

The horse barn also has an attached and heated two car garage but the
doors are smaller. (10'x10') The tractor will fit in it if I remove the
upper section of the "roll bar" that is on the tractor. Not a big deal
to do.

My registered guns (which is all of them) are kept in a safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tFOew70Gd0

wrote:

[...]

How about one of those booster battery kits? Keep it in the heated garage.

Thank you, Richard!!! jps General 385 November 17th 14 09:43 PM
Hey Richard... Tim General 7 August 13th 14 03:26 AM
Hey Richard Tim General 22 April 22nd 14 06:42 PM
for Richard thumper General 6 October 30th 13 11:23 PM
hey Richard. have you seen this? Tim General 5 October 13th 07 05:52 PM