Default Grimes in Kentucky

On 10/13/14 11:46 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/13/2014 11:31 AM, F*O*A*D wrote:
On 10/13/14 11:19 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 10:52:36 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

On 10/13/14 10:36 AM,
wrote:

So you admit you are just cherry picking the parts you want and
ridiculing the rest.

D'oh. I wasn't cherry picking anything, but simply explaining how
folkloric tales, many of which were common enough among our disparate
and distant ancestors, became written down, and that there were events
that stimulated the folk tales, and were earlier man's attempts to
explain what he didn't really know. As I stated, there is evidence of a
"great flood" in biblical times, and the story of Noah came about as a
way to explain it. That doesn't mean I think the story of Noah is for
real, it just means I understand the oral tradition and folklore.

That's not a difficult concept. I'm surprised you don't get it.

You are plucking out the parts you want to believe and ridiculing the
rest, that is cherry picking.

What percentage of the ~31,000 verses do you think are historical
fact?

Whoosh. Really. This discussion obviously is just too abstract for you.

Rope-a-dope

I don't see a victory for Ali Greg in this, since all I have stated is
that I understand how and why folk tales are the rationale for much of
what is in the bible.

When you don't understand the solar system or the fact that the earth
revolves around the sun or that crops tend to sprout in the spring, it's
understandable why you'd attribute day and night and growth to an item
of worship. When your ancestors talked about a horrific flood and that
story was passed down for centuries or longer, it's not that difficult
to understand why the tale of Noah came about.

--
The new GOP credo:

Hate the people who are being oppressed,
love the people who are doing the oppressing.

wrote:
On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 10:02:10 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

On 10/13/14 9:51 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 08:30:29 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

On 10/13/14 12:27 AM,
wrote:
On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 14:19:57 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

On 10/12/14 2:08 PM,
wrote:

You obviously are ignorant of Jewish history.

Are you also ignorant of Psalms? When the Jews were exiled to Babylon,
they lamented:

"If I forget you, O Jerusalem, let my right hand wither, let my tongue
stick to my palate if I cease to think of you, if I do not keep
Jerusalem in memory even at my happiest hour."

Return to Israel was in the minds of the Jewish people long before
Roosevelt and Truman.

I thought you say the bible is a fairy tale.
Now you are citing it as historical fact.

If you are to believe the bible that was a conquest too.

I've also said the old testament was mostly a history of a people, a
collection of oral tradition stories put down in writing. Some of that
history is history, and some of it -the supernatural part- is the
attempt of earlier man trying to explain what he didn't understand.

So Noah did build a big boat and put all the animals on it, Jonah
lived inside a whale and the earth is 8,000 years old, OK.
Make up your mind, is it a fact or fiction. You can't have it both
ways. You can't just cherry pick the parts that support a land grab
and ridicule the rest.

Bear in mind this is the same book that says it is OK to beat your
wife, advocates slavery, says you should stone adulterers and calls
being gay an abomination.

Hmm. Where did I say that I thought the story of Noah was real? Answer:
nowhere. There is evidence of a substantial and devastating flood in
that part of the world in biblical or pre-biblical times and there are
folk tale variations of the "Noah saga" among other peoples. As I
stated, earlier man looked for ways to explain what he didn't
understand, and came up with supernatural folk tales...such as the one
about Noah and of course, about a super creator.

Had you taken some liberal arts courses, you might have gained an
appreciation for oral traditions and the later writing down of same.

Some parts of the old testament have contemporaneous validity in
separate historical records and common traditions and others do not.
That's the way it was, prior to Google, eh?

I'm not saying you suffer from it, but...perhaps you might want to study
up on Rigid Personality. Despite what you apparently think and believe,
everything is *not* either/or.

So you admit you are just cherry picking the parts you want and
ridiculing the rest.
As for oral tradition, I am sure you have participated in that
demonstration where you tell one person in a group something and it
gets passed along through the group. By the time it gets back to you
it is totally different and sometimes exactly the opposite of what you
said.

In this case the oral tradition was nothing more than justifying the
taking of someone else's land by saying god told them they were
promised it.

BTW you were successful in changing the subject.

Tell me again how the ISIS problem was Bush's fault.
ISIS was created in Syria.

Maybe it's Clinton's fault. He did nothing bomb lots of civilians for 8
years. .??

Grimes in Kentucky F*O*A*D General 3 October 13th 14 03:29 PM
Herring's Kentucky cousin? John H[_15_] General 0 September 8th 14 11:08 PM
In Kentucky and Texas, it is 11 out of 10. F.O.A.D. General 6 May 2nd 13 08:54 PM
Kentucky Christians jps General 0 December 1st 11 08:03 AM
Kentucky Lake Lock and Dam [email protected] General 7 August 19th 09 07:01 AM