Default boating today.

On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 15:35:38 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

Again with the fallacious assumptions. None of the boats I saw with
electronically controlled engines were trips or quads. In all the year
I've been boating on the Bay, I doubt if I have seen more than a handful
of boats with triple outboards

===

I've seen at least a dozen in the last couple of days running through
the ICW in North Carolina and South Carolina. The Chesapeake seems to
have a lot more classic inboard fishing boats than many other places.

On 9/27/14 4:32 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 15:35:38 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

On 9/27/14 3:18 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 10:32:28 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

Actually I know you were talking about OMC the marine outboard company, but I thought I'd throw the AMC story in there to show that a lot of new stuff today was used years ago.

Yes the electric shift on the outboards was really cool and was reasonably reliable. My pontoons 85 horse Evinrude had it and I had no problems with it for the two years I ran it.

Mopar had it on the old Torqeflight tranny too.
It just seems like unnecessary complexity for a fairly simple
mechanism. My wife's Lincoln doesn't have electric shifting and it has
more doodads than anyone really needs.
Like I said, if I had trips or quads, it would make sense.
Maybe those are the boats that attract Harry's attention.
I look at them like fashion models. They are fun to look at but too
expensive and too high maintenance for me.

Again with the fallacious assumptions. None of the boats I saw with
electronically controlled engines were trips or quads. In all the year
I've been boating on the Bay, I doubt if I have seen more than a handful
of boats with triple outboards, and the only time I have seen a quad was
last spring down in Ft. Lauderdale. My guess is at the upcoming Miami
powerboat show, there will be plenty of outboard boats on display with
electronic controls. Not everyone disdains technological advances as
much as you.

The open question is whether this is actually an "advance". What
exactly are they advancing except corporate profits, something you
usually attack. They are fixing a problem that doesn't exist. They are
replacing a $40 cable with an $1100 electronic control option (the
difference in price on a Yamaha F200 with and without DEC) plus
whatever the difference is in controllers.

Well, then, you probably shouldn't equip your next V6 or V8 outboard
with electronic controls.

wrote:

[...]

Probably just following Detroit's lead. When power windows and door
locks were first introduced they were a novelty reserved for high-end
car models. Now they are standard in just about every car, mainly
because the electric motors and solenoids are cheaper to manufacture
than a manual, crank powered window or lock assembly.

On 9/27/14 5:54 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 16:53:38 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Your contention was that this was going to come down to midrange.

If I can believe the slick ads, 250s and 350s are all used in 2s or
3s..
If you are spending $50,000-125,000 on motors, what the hell is
another couple grand?

I see a Yellowfin 36 running around here with twin Seven Marines. I
bet some corporation is paying for that.

Yamaha 150s and 200s in twin configurations are popular around here. I
wouldn't be surprised to see electronic controls being made available
for them.
Banned

On Thursday, September 18, 2014 1:19:02 PM UTC-4, John H wrote:

Yamaha wanted over $550 for a solenoid for my 150hp. Tim got me going for about $23. I'd look around a whole lot before buying from Yamaha.

What do you expect from ****ing Chinks?

Dickson has no interest in being gainfully employed, not when he can sponge off the labours of decent hard working Ontario residents.

Boating today... Harry  General 11 August 9th 10 10:28 PM
Boating today... John H.[_4_] General 56 July 6th 08 09:32 PM
today in boating.. [email protected] General 0 July 19th 07 01:20 PM
Went boating and fishing today. Calif Bill General 0 October 16th 06 04:25 AM
I went boating today, sort of ... Bryan General 19 January 24th 06 07:57 PM