Default boating today.

Took the boat to the San Joaquin delta today. Beautiful, but hot weather.
Couple problems I have to fix. Did try fishing, but only undersized
stripers to be caught. Went to turn on the blower, and drops the voltage I
see about 2 volts. Must be frozen. And when went to shift my T8 Yamaha
kicker. The shifter broke. Shift cable seems to be frozen. That will be a
couple boat bucks. Nice motors, but Yamaha is very proud of the parts.

On Thursday, September 18, 2014 2:26:20 AM UTC-4, Califbill wrote:
Took the boat to the San Joaquin delta today. Beautiful, but hot weather.

Couple problems I have to fix. Did try fishing, but only undersized

stripers to be caught. Went to turn on the blower, and drops the voltage I

see about 2 volts. Must be frozen. And when went to shift my T8 Yamaha

kicker. The shifter broke. Shift cable seems to be frozen. That will be a

couple boat bucks. Nice motors, but Yamaha is very proud of the parts.

Yamaha wanted over $550 for a solenoid for my 150hp. Tim got me going for about $23. I'd look around a whole lot before buying from Yamaha.

John H wrote:
On Thursday, September 18, 2014 2:26:20 AM UTC-4, Califbill wrote:
Took the boat to the San Joaquin delta today. Beautiful, but hot weather.

Couple problems I have to fix. Did try fishing, but only undersized

stripers to be caught. Went to turn on the blower, and drops the voltage I

see about 2 volts. Must be frozen. And when went to shift my T8 Yamaha

kicker. The shifter broke. Shift cable seems to be frozen. That will be a

couple boat bucks. Nice motors, but Yamaha is very proud of the parts.

Yamaha wanted over $550 for a solenoid for my 150hp. Tim got me going for
about $23. I'd look around a whole lot before buying from Yamaha.

Cable is a specialized item. As well as the shifter casting. I think I
can weld up the casting with my mig welder. $122 on the internet for the
cable.

On 9/18/2014 3:15 PM, Califbill wrote:
John H wrote:
On Thursday, September 18, 2014 2:26:20 AM UTC-4, Califbill wrote:
Took the boat to the San Joaquin delta today. Beautiful, but hot weather.

Couple problems I have to fix. Did try fishing, but only undersized

stripers to be caught. Went to turn on the blower, and drops the voltage I

see about 2 volts. Must be frozen. And when went to shift my T8 Yamaha

kicker. The shifter broke. Shift cable seems to be frozen. That will be a

couple boat bucks. Nice motors, but Yamaha is very proud of the parts.

Yamaha wanted over $550 for a solenoid for my 150hp. Tim got me going for
about $23. I'd look around a whole lot before buying from Yamaha.

Cable is a specialized item. As well as the shifter casting. I think I
can weld up the casting with my mig welder. $122 on the internet for the
cable.

You should be able to buy a Morse or Teleflex cable for around $50
unless Yamaha does cables differently than everyone else.

John H wrote:
[...]

Problem is which Morse number.

John H wrote:
[...]

Call a parts house. You pretty much only need to specify length.
Transfer ends from one cable to the other.

On 9/19/2014 11:52 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 06:31:47 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

On 9/18/14 11:07 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 18:38:26 -0400, Harrold wrote:

You should be able to buy a Morse or Teleflex cable for around $50 unless
Yamaha does cables differently than everyone else.

Problem is which Morse number.

Call a parts house. You pretty much only need to specify length.
Transfer ends from one cable to the other.

Yup that is how Yamaha cables work.
You buy the generic cable with threaded ends and you get the
appropriate adapter kits for the terminations.
When I got my cables they were about $50 each for the new "slick"
Yamaha branded cable (TFX or something like that)
I got them online.

In the good old days, when one of my father's customers swamped or sank
a boat, or it went down in a storm and was rescued, the throttle and
shift control cable to the outboard usually froze up because of sand or
corrosion. One of the shop guys would remove the ends, pull the inner
metal cables out of their rubbery covers, and either replace the cables
or clean and grease them and put them back in. Back in those days, labor
was still less expensive than new parts, and the controls were
mechanical. These days, sadly, most outboard controls from the helm are
electronic.

I have not seen any fly by wire outboards yet. They have them but they
are certainly not all that common.
It is not even an option on small and midrange outboards.
The Yamaha "command link" is just instrumentation. I know there is
"Electronic Command"
You usually would only see the electronic controllers on trips or
quads and that is people for whom money is no object.

Thanks for clearing this up. Harry seems to have a reading comprehension
problem

On 9/18/14 11:07 PM, wrote:

[...]

The new Mercury Verado line are electronic throttle and shift. Some of the big, top line Yamahas are as well. It's likely that 80% of what's sold is still mechanical.

On 9/18/14 11:07 PM, wrote:

[...]

TR1 is an electronic steering for kickers. But most are still mechanical.
Problem with the Yamaha shift cable is the length. Is 27 inches. And all
the Teleflex / Morse cables I see are in even foot lengths.

Boating today... Harry  General 11 August 9th 10 10:28 PM
Boating today... John H.[_4_] General 56 July 6th 08 09:32 PM
today in boating.. [email protected] General 0 July 19th 07 01:20 PM
Went boating and fishing today. Calif Bill General 0 October 16th 06 04:25 AM
I went boating today, sort of ... Bryan General 19 January 24th 06 07:57 PM