Nigel Featherston

Default Docking HELP!!

I would recommend that you never use people as a bumper. It is much easier
to repair a scratch than a broken bone.

"Diver1055" wrote in message
Is it just me or does everybody get knots in there gut every time they

have
to dock?

I Have had boats up to 22 feet for a long time, but end of August I

bought a
32 footer, with twin inboard outboard engines. WOW it sure a lot tougher
than I expected.

I dock in a boat house, which you would think would be relatively
easy..Wrong trying to keep it straight and steady I find quite

difficult.

I've heard some people say "don't touch the wheel"
others say "idle speed only"

any pointers to help regain my confidence would be very much appreciated,
please remember I have an I/O twins.

Thanks

Its alot of fun trying not to bump into other boats and things. I got

back
into a boat that I have to keep in a slip and I have to learn the boat's
particularities all over again. What I do is go out with enough people

bumpers
to help me learn how to dock the boat.

Good luck
Rick

Gould 0738

Charles T. Low wrote:

The only thing I have to add is that there is no one right way to dock. I
hear a lot of things like "don't touch the wheel" (better for IB's than
I/O's?), and "always go slow," and I find that any good rule is only true
most, not all, of the time.

Charles, you've spent as much time studying the science of docking as
anybody.....(Buy his book!)....

Most of my experience is with inboards. Some I/O's, but mostly little boats in
those cases and most often single engines.

With twin engines:
Have you ever contemplated what the difference might be, (or if a major
difference
exists) between the thrust dynamics of prop wash, against a rudder, a few feet
closer to the vessel's pivot point and the physics of more efficient
directional propulsion immediately aft of the transom?

If so, it would be interesting to read your
findings or opinion.
Doug Kanter

Anyone on the boat does one of two things:

1) Listens, stays focused on the task at hand, and keeps out of your field
of vision. They do not move about emptying ash trays or picking up empty
drink containers.

2) Goes in the cabin, preferably tied securely to an immovable structure.

Boys between 14 and 18 will be looking around for skirts instead of helping.
Yell the kid's name sharply every 30 seconds, even if there's not another
living thing for a mile in any direction. They need to understand that for
the 5 minutes it takes to dock the boat, they can stop looking for skirts.

When you get really good at docking, some people will think everything's
different and that they can chatter at you about all sorts of annoying
things. These people go in the cabin (see #2 above).

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Hi Rob,
I have been docking boats, some small, some large, since I was 8 years
old and am 51 now. I always get the butterflies. I just shows that you
are very careful.

If your 32 footer is giving you trouble, try some practice. Anchor the
boat, and when stable, drop a couple of buoys with a rope between then
to simulate the dock. And try docking on that. Once you get that one
"down" move the setup so current and winds affect you.

I almost never use more then idle throttle in docking. The exception is
docking perpendicular with the current. I may have to throttle to get or
maintain headway. Always dock bow-into current.

In still waters, use a lot of "neutral". Thrust only if you need a nudge
in a different direction. Setup your drives in the correct position
before applying a ~small~ burst of thrust.

A good boat hook and springer line will help too. Use the boat hook to
drop a springer with a bowline loop over a dock cleat or piling.

If you must back into a slip, always have a person at the stern as a
lookout. You cannot see the "swing" or "distance to" of your transom
from a the pilot's wheel! Call on the radio and try to have a dockworker
assist you.

I hope these hints help,

Capt. Frank

Rob wrote:
Is it just me or does everybody get knots in there gut every time they have
to dock?

I Have had boats up to 22 feet for a long time, but end of August I bought a
32 footer, with twin inboard outboard engines. WOW it sure a lot tougher
than I expected.

I dock in a boat house, which you would think would be relatively
easy..Wrong trying to keep it straight and steady I find quite difficult.

I've heard some people say "don't touch the wheel"
others say "idle speed only"

any pointers to help regain my confidence would be very much appreciated,
please remember I have an I/O twins.

Thanks

Rod McInnis

"Gfretwell" wrote in message
Get some jugs, fenders or whatever and mark out a "dock" out in some

protected
piece of water, away from anyone watching and practice.

might want to do this when the water is really warm. I would anticipate
wrapping a few lines around the prop.....

Rod

Bob D.

In article , "Rob"
wrote:

Is it just me or does everybody get knots in there gut every time they have
to dock?

I Have had boats up to 22 feet for a long time, but end of August I bought a
32 footer, with twin inboard outboard engines. WOW it sure a lot tougher
than I expected.

I dock in a boat house, which you would think would be relatively
easy..Wrong trying to keep it straight and steady I find quite difficult.

With I/O you have better maneuverability than with inboards, if you wanted
to you *could* dock it the same way as a single I/O, or use that extra
screw the way god intended and leave that helm in neutral on the last leg
of your docking approach, using your tranmissions to maneuver.

I've heard some people say "don't touch the wheel"
others say "idle speed only"

any pointers to help regain my confidence would be very much appreciated,
please remember I have an I/O twins.

Thanks

Stick with it, keep your insurance up to date, and buy a gelcoat repair
kit. Docking here will become second hand in no time.

Good Luck!

Bob Dimond
Peggie Hall

Rod McInnis wrote:

Get some jugs, fenders or whatever and mark out a "dock" out in some

protected
piece of water, away from anyone watching and practice.

might want to do this when the water is really warm. I would anticipate
wrapping a few lines around the prop.....

Not if the lines are only long enough to reach straight down to the
bottom....no line swaying out to grab a prop.

I used the "milk jug method" to learn how to get Solitaire into the slip
with an engine out right after I bought her, while mechanics were still
working on getting her engines running reliably again...took a bunch out
to a cove, along with some bricks and poly line, and set 'em to
represent my slip and other things I needed to avoid hitting while
maneuvering to back in. Spent two whole days abusing milk jugs in that
cove with first one engine out and then the other....approaching upwind,
downwind, crosswind. Never caught a prop. Great way to learn...'cuz you
can hit milk jugs all day long without harm to your gelcoat or anyone
else's while you figure out what makes your boat go where and how to
use wind, current etc.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Rod McInnis

"Rob" wrote in message
Is it just me or does everybody get knots in there gut every time they

have
to dock?

Only when I am not confident that everything will go right. In other words,
I get the knots most of the time.

I Have had boats up to 22 feet for a long time, but end of August I bought

32 footer, with twin inboard outboard engines. WOW it sure a lot tougher
than I expected.

The hardest boat to handle is a single inboard. The easiest, at least for
me, are twin inboards. Twin I/Os or twin Outboards are somewhere in
between, probably closer to the easier side.

I dock in a boat house, which you would think would be relatively
easy..Wrong trying to keep it straight and steady I find quite difficult.

The first thing you want to do is learn how your boat handles. Does the
boat turn better one direction than the other? How about in reverse? If
the wind is blowing directly on your side, does the bow swing down wind, or
would the stern? How about in a side current?

I've heard some people say "don't touch the wheel"
others say "idle speed only"

Using the wheel to your advantage can certainly help, if you use it
correctly. If it gets to be more than you can keep track of, it might be
better to leave it centered and just steer with the engines. On an I/O,
leaving the engines centered will make the "one in forward, one in reverse"
much more predictable to swing the bow around. Turning the engines will
allow you to move the stern the direction you want it. Having the wheel
turned the wrong way when you attempt either can mess you up.

As for idle speed: I say "it depends, but slower is usually better". I have
a 36' Carver with twin 350 Hp Crusader engines. Boat weighs about 19,000
pounds. Idle speed on a 350 Hp engine provides enough thrust to do any
docking manuevers I want. I recently purchased a 55' houseboat with twin 50
Hp outboards. This boat also weighs about 19,000 pounds, but it is much
longer. Idle speed on a 50 Hp engine does diddly squat for moving that bow
into a slight breeze.

My best advice is to not rely on the engines to stop your motion. I see
people approach their slip at a fairly high rate, and then use lots of
reverse to avoid ramming the dock. That can work okay, until the day your
engine dies as you shift for reverse.

any pointers to help regain my confidence would be very much appreciated,
please remember I have an I/O twins.

I alter my technique based on what there is to bump into, and what needs
to be avoided. If you are going into a single finger slip and there is a
boat in the other half, it is really important to avoid that boat. On the
other hand, if it is a double fingered slip that has dock wheels at the end,
ease up to the wheels and roll on in.

You mentioned that you dock in a boat house. Does that mean there are
vertical posts at the entrance that are holding up the roof? Is there a
current to deal with? What direction does the wind normally blow?

I keep my boat in tidal waters, which means that I have a current to deal
with that changes with the tide. The prevailing wind blows into my slip at
about a 45 degree angle. My slip is covered, which means I have posts to
deal with and/or use. If the wind and the current are flowing the same
direction, I can use them to my advantage and ease right into the slip. I
approach into the wind/current, about a half a boat length from the dock.
As my bow reaches my own slip, I am going dead slow. The wind is trying to
blow me into the dock, so I turn into the slip and use a moment of forward.
The wind and thrust turn the bow towards the open slip, the stern moves away
from the dock. Dead slow, let the wind push. A little more forward,
letting the stern push away from the dock. Wind pushes you in, thrust
kicks the stern out.

It is generally unwise to approach your slip straight on unless then wind is
blowing directly from the dock out. It is hard to get the boat to move
sideways the way you want it to. It is much more forgiving to turn into the
slip.

One motto that I work by is: If I am going to hit the dock, I am only going
to hit it once! Sometimes I can get the boat into the slip without
touching. Sometimes I screw up and bump the dock a little harder than I
wanted to. Once I make contact with the dock, I keep it! If the wind blows
your bow into the post at the corner, let it stay there, don't let your crew
push your bow back out. Use it as a pivot point and move the stern around
so that you can get the rest of the way in.

Sometimes, the best you can do is a controlled crash. Minimize the damage.
At slow speeds, a small mistake results in small consequences. At higher
speeds, small mistakes have higher consequences. Don't use people as
fenders. Brief your crew that you don't want any heroics.

Rod McInnis

otnmbrd

First off, it wasn't stated whether you have inboard, outboard, or same
way turning props.
Every time you leave the dock, take 10 minutes in some open area and try
different things:
One engine, with and without steering, then the other, then add throttle.
Two Engines, with and without steering, then add throttle.
Two engines, apposed, with and without steering, then add throttle.
Two engines apposed with opposite steering at various angles, then add
throttle.
See how different winds and currents affect you at different angles of
attack and different speeds.

Learning a new boat, will not happen overnight ..... keep your maneuvers
slow and simple to begin with, and only add "tricks" as you learn their
affect (or is it effect?), but never be satisfied .... when conditions
are right, try some "off the wall" ideas .... BG sometimes these will
have amazing results.

otn