Peggie Hall

Default Docking HELP!!

Rod McInnis wrote:

Get some jugs, fenders or whatever and mark out a "dock" out in some

protected
piece of water, away from anyone watching and practice.

might want to do this when the water is really warm. I would anticipate
wrapping a few lines around the prop.....

Not if the lines are only long enough to reach straight down to the
bottom....no line swaying out to grab a prop.

I used the "milk jug method" to learn how to get Solitaire into the slip
with an engine out right after I bought her, while mechanics were still
working on getting her engines running reliably again...took a bunch out
to a cove, along with some bricks and poly line, and set 'em to
represent my slip and other things I needed to avoid hitting while
maneuvering to back in. Spent two whole days abusing milk jugs in that
cove with first one engine out and then the other....approaching upwind,
downwind, crosswind. Never caught a prop. Great way to learn...'cuz you
can hit milk jugs all day long without harm to your gelcoat or anyone
else's while you figure out what makes your boat go where and how to
use wind, current etc.

Peggie
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"