Default Fireboat Welcome

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 18:46:28 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 1/30/2014 1:41 PM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 11:56:23 -0600, Califbill wrote:

Poco Loco wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 09:12:19 -0500, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 1/29/14, 9:08 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 1/29/2014 8:27 AM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 18:20:30 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 1/28/2014 5:30 PM, BAR wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 1/27/2014 7:23 PM, BAR wrote:

In article ,
says...

I had dual exhaust and a K&N filter installed on my F-250 with
promises
of significantly higher fuel mileage. Truck sounds good but I
haven't
noticed any improved mpg. In fact in the winter it goes down.

Did you notice more giddy-up-and-go?

My 5.4L in my F-150 gets 15 in the city during the summer and 13
in the city during the
winter when consuming oxygenated gas. The problem is that I burn
the same amout of gas to go
the same distance with the added benefit of spewing MTBE type
chemicals in the winter.

If there's more "giddy up" I really don't notice it. My F-250 has the
same engine as your F-150 but they have different transmissions and
the
F-250 weighs a bit more. I've noticed that my son's F-150 with the
5.4L
always seemed to have more "giddy-up" than my truck. I think the big
difference is the transmission.

I have a 3.15 with "Posi"

Up until the 10th generation of Ford's "F" series trucks (1997-2003)
the F-250 and F-350 series were based on the F-150 design but beefed up
in terms of payload, etc. At that point the F-150 was redesigned and
the F-250 and F-350 "Super Duty" series became a separate product line
and differ considerably with the more current models of the F-150. They
still share some common components, such as engines but otherwise are
totally different trucks. Your F-150 rides better, handles better and,
as previously noted, has more "pep" in normal driving. The Super Duty
series are much harder riding and have a "TorqueShift" transmission that
operates similar to the Allison transmission that GM uses in their
heavier duty trucks.

I bought the Super Duty because there was a potential that I'd be
hauling some heavy trailers again, but that never happened. It came
with a plow package prep, so I bought a plow for it. That's about all
the "Super Duty" it has done. If we end up heading south, I'll
probably trade it in and get a F-150 just for a more decent ride.

That all said though, I still like the truck.

The Silverado 2500 HD rides like a big, big Cadillac. Very
comfortable, even with the 4-wheel drive.
The 1500 I had before this one was the same. Friends couldn't get over
how comfortable these pickups
are. I tell them to try going around the block in a Dodge.

I test drove a Silverado 2500 before I bought the F-250. Very nice
truck but *too* soft for my liking. I also tried a friend's diesel
Silverado that is more of a work truck. Went like a raped ape but
again, it was too "soft" feeling to me. I had just come from a Ford
F-350 diesel (Harley Edition) that was just as plush inside as the
Silverado but still felt and rode like a heavy duty pickup. At the
time, that's what I was looking for. It's too bad I had the problems
with the 6.0L diesel that Ford used at the time, otherwise I would still
have that truck.

I discovered something during the long trips I made back and forth to
Florida. I was actually more comfortable and found it was less tiring
driving a stiffer feeling truck than a super soft ride and that includes
making the trip in the BMW 750 that I had for a while. I like trucks.

Speaking of diesels, have you read or heard anything about the new
smaller diesel in the smaller Dodge trucks?

Nope. My diesel (6.6L) is just the right size. Plus, I'd never own a
Dodge anything. I have ridden
in a Dodge pickup, and its ride is atrocious.

My buddy's wife has degenerative bone disease. He had to get rid of his
2000 Dodge diesel because of the nasty ride. Wife could not handle it.
Replaced it with a 2003 silverado diesel. She could handle that ride.

When I went to look at a Dodge pickup, I left the dealership, went around the block and returned.
Roughest riding thing I've ever been in. I think a Farmall tractor was a better ride.

I had a Dodge Ram 2500 HD for a while. Agreed, it was one rough riding
truck. Hit a crack in the road and bounce your head off the headliner.
I ended up giving it to one of my nephews when he was in Florida to use
as his construction business truck. He ended up blowing the
transmission running it in the quarter mile at some dragstrip.

When it first came out, that grille was the coolest thing on the block. But, when I tapped it and
found it was plastic, I thought it was much less 'cool'. And then I went around the block in
it...not for me. That was in '95 when I bought the GMC Sierra 1500. That was a good pickup. My
nephew still uses it as his every-day truck.

Poco Loco wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 09:12:19 -0500, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 1/29/14, 9:08 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 1/29/2014 8:27 AM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 18:20:30 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 1/28/2014 5:30 PM, BAR wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 1/27/2014 7:23 PM, BAR wrote:

[...]

When the current Ram series first came out they may have ridden hard but
they were rugged trucks. One of customer facilities the I used to visit
often was next door to a railroad receiving and distribution point for
new vehicles. We'd sometimes go out and look at some of the vehicles as
they were loaded onto truck trailers for final delivery to the dealer.

We often saw Dodge, Ford and Chevy/GM pickups. If you looked at the
undercarriage the components ... meaning wheel drums, rear end,
suspension, etc., were huge on the Dodges compared to the Fords and GM
products ... comparing the same series .... 150, 1500, 250, 2500, etc.
That's what convinced me to buy that hard riding Ram 2500 HD. It rode
hard but was a strong truck. Weakness was their transmissions.

On Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:28:58 PM UTC-5, Mr. Luddite wrote:

We often saw Dodge, Ford and Chevy/GM pickups. If you looked at the
undercarriage the components ... meaning wheel drums, rear end,
suspension, etc., were huge on the Dodges compared to the Fords and GM
products ... comparing the same series .... 150, 1500, 250, 2500, etc.
That's what convinced me to buy that hard riding Ram 2500 HD. It rode
hard but was a strong truck. Weakness was their transmissions.

Bigger size doesn't always mean better strength. It can just mean more weight... especially bad if the smaller, lighter components are strong enough for the job. Then you're just lugging around more weight along with that stiffer suspension to carry it.

Seems like Dodge has, for years, been the stiffest, most truck-like. Chevy was the softest, and Ford found the right combo in-between the two.

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 20:28:58 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 1/30/2014 7:52 PM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 18:46:28 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 1/30/2014 1:41 PM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 11:56:23 -0600, Califbill wrote:

snipped

[...]

I believe that. But hell, I had to ride in it, and my wife was with me for our test drive. There's
no way she could stand that truck. Then we drove a Sierra 1500. All the difference in the world. I
suppose if I worked in a rock quarry and needed the truck to haul rock, the Dodge would be a way to
go - until the tranny went TU. Chrysler products in general get some very poor reliability reviews.

Oh, and the Dodge diesel pickup is about as quiet as an F-18 on afterburner.

On 1/31/2014 8:46 AM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 03:57:58 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:28:58 PM UTC-5, Mr. Luddite wrote:

We often saw Dodge, Ford and Chevy/GM pickups. If you looked at the
undercarriage the components ... meaning wheel drums, rear end,
suspension, etc., were huge on the Dodges compared to the Fords and GM
products ... comparing the same series .... 150, 1500, 250, 2500, etc.
That's what convinced me to buy that hard riding Ram 2500 HD. It rode
hard but was a strong truck. Weakness was their transmissions.

Bigger size doesn't always mean better strength. It can just mean more weight... especially bad if the smaller, lighter components are strong enough for the job. Then you're just lugging around more weight along with that stiffer suspension to carry it.

Seems like Dodge has, for years, been the stiffest, most truck-like. Chevy was the softest, and Ford found the right combo in-between the two.

If not for the Ford diesel engine reviews (right here also), I'd probably be in a Ford. I was right
proud of their 'go it alone' attitude. But the Silverado does everything I've wanted it to do,
pulling close to 11,000 lbs without a whimper.

I may come around to another Ford diesel someday now that they have
dumped the 6.0L in favor of the 6.4L and corrected the problems the
former had. There is no question that I liked the 20-22 mpg the F-350
got on the highway with gobs of power to tow. But then again, I
probably won't have need for anything that tows and plows if things work
out.

Had our first meeting with a realtor yesterday. Pretty interesting.
For you RC flying addicts, the realtor told us they will be hiring a
video and photography crew to come to the house to document the listing.
Part of that process will be a drone helicopter with an HD camera. He
said they will fly it up the long driveway and make a birdseye view to
the property, house, barn, paddocks, pool and landscaping. Sounds
pretty cool.

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 09:12:00 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

[...]

They are very cool!

Here's a vid showing some of their capability. Unreal. And the cameras are not that expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2rMw0JRCnE

New Fireboat MWB[_2_] Tall Ship Photos 0 September 18th 09 11:38 PM
Los Angeles Harbor Fireboat Warner L Lawrence Paddy's Pig Tall Ship Photos 11 June 13th 08 11:37 PM
Los Angeles Harbor Fireboat Warner L Lawrence - bow Paddy's Pig Tall Ship Photos 0 June 10th 08 04:21 PM