Bruce

Default Buoy locations

Hi Guys....

Is there a website on the internet that would give me the exact lat/long
location of local buoys to set up my GPS?

Many thanks....
Bruce Matthews
Monterey, Ca

Richard

The book will give you a more accurate fix than trying to take it visually
off the chart.If you go right up to a buoy and take a fix that is the most
accurate. It also saves time. I am not saying you don't need a chart. You
do.

what is wrong with using the chart?

Jeff Morris

"Richard" wrote in message
t...
The book will give you a more accurate fix than trying to take it visually
off the chart.

I have no trouble getting a very accurate position from a chart. The trick is
to use dividers, not just "visually." In fact, I prefer this method, if only
for the practice.

If you go right up to a buoy and take a fix that is the most
accurate.

Not necessarily. If there is a current, the buoy could off 50 yards or more.
The chart or book should show the average position. And besides, there are lots
of buoys I wouldn't want to go "right up to." Actually, the waypoints I use the
most are not buoys, but channel locations.

It also saves time. I am not saying you don't need a chart. You
do.

what is wrong with using the chart?

George Homme

Huh? I agree that you can/should pull buoy locations from a chart. If
nothing else, you get good practice using dividers and learning more about
lat and long. BUT........I don't see how you could be any more accurate then
actually pulling up to the buoy, current or no. Even if I am missing
something, it would be more like 50 feet and not yards.

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
"Richard" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Jeff Morris

The buoy locations for the smallest buoys in shallow water with little tide
range might be as good as 50 feet, but the Watch Circle Radius for many buoys is
50 yards or more. In fact, the are 6 categories for accuracy, only the most
accurate is better than 50 yards.

"George Homme" wrote in message
Huh? I agree that you can/should pull buoy locations from a chart. If
nothing else, you get good practice using dividers and learning more about
lat and long. BUT........I don't see how you could be any more accurate then
actually pulling up to the buoy, current or no. Even if I am missing
something, it would be more like 50 feet and not yards.

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
"Richard" wrote in message
t...
[...]

marklan

Hi Bruce
I am looking at geting a GPS to so I to am interested in your queston .I
know that most hand helds have memory that's why com.fishing boats get
****ed off if you bring one on bord.I went sailing with a friend who has the
chart \ gps type if I recall right that pinpoints every thing bouys or
bridges or whatever as you scroll threw it given you the numbers for not
only where your at but every thing else? I can't spend that much on one so
I'll begetting the little hand held type.If you do find a web site that
gives you GPS numbers for what ever you click on a chart Please let me know
that would be a big help and could save me from having to buy more charts.
Thanks-Mark
"Bruce" wrote in message
Hi Guys....

Is there a website on the internet that would give me the exact lat/long
location of local buoys to set up my GPS?

Many thanks....
Bruce Matthews
Monterey, Ca

d parker

You still need to own Charts.. There is no substitute for them at all.
Plotters and GPS are great tools that supplement Charts, Compasses and the
like but in no way replace them.

Also you should know how to plot on a chart. Using the web to get lats and
longs for the sake of GPS at the expense of not buying a chart is crazy.

DP

..

"Bruce" wrote in message
Hi Guys....

Is there a website on the internet that would give me the exact lat/long
location of local buoys to set up my GPS?

Many thanks....
Bruce Matthews
Monterey, Ca

John R Weiss

"marklan" wrote...

I am looking at geting a GPS to so I to am interested in your queston .I
know that most hand helds have memory that's why com.fishing boats get
****ed off if you bring one on bord.

When you buy your GPS, you can also buy the detailed map software that
includes coastal US buoy locations. The Garmin MapSource U.S. Roads &
Recreation CD have them charted, and you can also pull the Lat/Long from the
CD to make your own GPS waypoint if you want.