John Doe

Default Inverter mounting locations

I have a 1983 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin. I just acquired a West Marine (Heart
Interface) 1500w inverter and would like to install it. I am comfortable
with all the technical requirements of battery source, wire leads, AC hookup
etc, but my question is on the LOCATION of the unit. Where is yours
located? I understand that these units are NOT ignition protected, so it
shouldn't go in the engine space (gas engines). I'm looking for
specific recommendations for my particular boat, but I'd be interested in
hearing where other boats have their inverter installed as well.
Appearance-wise, I'd like to hide it but there don't seem to be many options
which would also allow for short cable runs and plenty of ventilation.

Thanks,

John

Wolf

I have a 361 Beneteau with a Heart Inverter. My nav seat is a storage
compartment with a hinged seat. They put the Inverter inside the box and
installed a ribbed plastic vent on one side of the box (facing the nav
table).

Wolf

"John Doe" wrote in message
I have a 1983 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin. I just acquired a West Marine (Heart
Interface) 1500w inverter and would like to install it. I am comfortable
with all the technical requirements of battery source, wire leads, AC

hookup
etc, but my question is on the LOCATION of the unit. Where is yours
located? I understand that these units are NOT ignition protected, so it
shouldn't go in the engine space (gas engines). I'm looking for
specific recommendations for my particular boat, but I'd be interested in
hearing where other boats have their inverter installed as well.
Appearance-wise, I'd like to hide it but there don't seem to be many

options
which would also allow for short cable runs and plenty of ventilation.

Thanks,

John

Wayne.B

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 15:01:33 GMT, "Wolf"
wrote:

I'd be interested in
hearing where other boats have their inverter installed as well.

=====================
Mine is on a shelf over the water tank in the forward bilge separate
from the engines (Bertram 33). Lacking a separate bilge space,
bolting to the side of a hanging locker seems to work OK. Try to keep
the DC wiring short (and heavy) to minimize voltage drop.

Richard Malcolm

I'd be interested in
hearing where other boats have their inverter installed as well.

=====================
let me see if I can explain where I hid mine. I have a 245 four winns

vista. there is about a foot of space between the interior walls and
the outer wall of the boat. I removed some shelves and got into that
space. built a platform for the inverter. since there is plenty of
space I did not do any special venting. In other words it is in the
wall. it is about four feet from the battery on the other side of the
firewall. I can't get to it unless I remover the shelves, but don't
need to as it has a remote on/off switch. since you are comfortable
with the wiring, I won't go into detail about fat wires and fuses,etc.
hope this is clear.

10KW peak, 5KW continuous inverter...(c; Larry W4CSC Cruising 6 May 1st 04 04:17 AM
Inverter Size Fred Miller Cruising 28 January 2nd 04 10:08 AM
Mounting pad for a large outboard motor - what material should it be made from? Torre Boat Building 2 November 14th 03 11:35 AM