The Smolenski's

Default your favorite sailing adventure book

What's your favorite Sailing book

Mine's Sopranino by Patrick Ellam and Colin Mudie
It's a narrative about a 20 footer crossing the atlantic

How about yours???

smo

Qwerty

"The Smolenski's" wrote in message
What's your favorite Sailing book

Mine's Sopranino by Patrick Ellam and Colin Mudie
It's a narrative about a 20 footer crossing the atlantic

How about yours???

'Racundra's First Cruise' by Arthur Ransome, the author of the enchanting
children's books about sailing - the Swallows and Amazons series.

The book details the author's experiences having a yacht built in 1921 in
Riga, Latvia, and his cruise in the Baltic to Estonia and Finland and back
to Riga.

The book is worth owning if only for the opening sentence, which I have
remembered all my adult life:
"Houses are but badly built boats so firmly aground that you cannot think of
moving them."

Best,

Q.

Larry Tate

What's your favorite Sailing book

Mine's Sopranino by Patrick Ellam and Colin Mudie
It's a narrative about a 20 footer crossing the atlantic

How about yours???

Very easily 'Riddle of the Sands', by Erskine Childers. It's about a chap
sailing around the Baltic with a college friend who uncover a sinister
German plot. Aside from being a great sailing narrative, written around
1900, it is also credited as being one of the precursors to the modern
espionage thrillers.

--LT

DirtCrashr

the Swallows and Amazons series.

Wow! I read those when I was a kid, overseas, almost forty years ago
-- it suddenly comes back. I think that's when I first wished to go
sailing.
I remember the idea of lights in-line, guiding a boat into a harbor at
night. My brother and I used to make maps of imaginary harbors with
rocks and secretive "light-lines" that would enable passage.
Our land-based adventures as kids of that age group were pretty
similar.

-keith
mtn. view

Qwerty

"DirtCrashr" wrote in message
the Swallows and Amazons series.

Wow! I read those when I was a kid, overseas, almost forty years ago
-- it suddenly comes back. I think that's when I first wished to go
sailing.
I remember the idea of lights in-line, guiding a boat into a harbor at
night. My brother and I used to make maps of imaginary harbors with
rocks and secretive "light-lines" that would enable passage.
Our land-based adventures as kids of that age group were pretty
similar.

-keith
mtn. view

There must be many of my generation (don't ask) who's first stirrings of
wanting to sail and go to sea were stimulated, even initiated by Arthur
Ransome and those books; I know I was. I introduced my children to them but
somehow, it didn't work with them - a bit dated perhaps if the original urge
isn't there, and a character called 'Titty' didn't help. They are based on
the east coast of England and the north west lake district where he
eventually retired to.

He led an interesting life, was in Russia as a correspondent for the
Manchester Guardian at the time of the Bolshevik revolution; interviewed
Lenin; married Trotsky's secretary. After he died she went back to Russia, a
very old lady, and found, after a lifetime of living in England and only
speaking English that she could no longer remember how to speak Russian.

Q.

DirtCrashr

"Qwerty" wrote:

There must be many of my generation (don't ask) who's first stirrings of
wanting to sail and go to sea were stimulated, even initiated by Arthur
Ransome and those books; I know I was. I introduced my children to them but
somehow, it didn't work with them - a bit dated perhaps if the original urge
isn't there, and a character called 'Titty' didn't help. They are based on
the east coast of England and the north west lake district where he
eventually retired to.

Wow, Coniston. I didn't know until now. Once, ages and ages ago I
hitchiled get up there, from my Aunt's house off the North Circular.
And as a kid I played "explorer" in a forest from which we could see
the *real* Kanchenjunga... Reading dated books, some as much as
20-years out of date, was sort of normal over there. It was hard to
find recent english-langauage material - I read Biggles and all that.

He led an interesting life, was in Russia as a correspondent for the
Manchester Guardian at the time of the Bolshevik revolution; interviewed
Lenin; married Trotsky's secretary. After he died she went back to Russia, a
very old lady, and found, after a lifetime of living in England and only
speaking English that she could no longer remember how to speak Russian.

Maybe the spoken, colloquial, Russian had changed. Among other things
a lot of "Comarad" this-and-that back then, with a lot of whispering
and suspicion. Trotsky had been assassinated and maybe it wasn't safe
to be a former secretary, no matter how old...

Q.

-keith
mtn.view
gjoyce

DirtCrashr wrote in message . ..
the Swallows and Amazons series.

Wow! I read those when I was a kid, overseas, almost forty years ago
-- it suddenly comes back. I think that's when I first wished to go
sailing.
I remember the idea of lights in-line, guiding a boat into a harbor at
night. My brother and I used to make maps of imaginary harbors with
rocks and secretive "light-lines" that would enable passage.
Our land-based adventures as kids of that age group were pretty
similar.

-keith
mtn. view

I've got three (plus one) of them ...(and I liked Riddle of the Sands
as well)

In order:
"The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst " ... read this I don't
know how many times, and still find it riveting ... by Nicholas
Tomalin and Ron Hall

H.W. Tillman's "The Eight Sailing/Mountain Exploration Books" (I also
liked "The Seven Mountain Travel Books" ... I also climb) ...
fantastic stuff to places to mostly cold places... man, was that guy
ahead of his time..

Spike Walker's "Working on the Edge" about the king crab fishery ...
hard core stuff and makes you wish you acted on all those "I'm gonna
go work on the pipeline" bar conversations back in the 70s ....

And here's one that's not really a boat book, but makes for
fascinating reading if you're into treasure, science, boats, history,
etc. .. "Ship of Gold" by Gary Sanders ...about the wreck and recovery
of the cargo of the Gold-Rush-era steamship Central America ... really
fascinating stuff, overcoming the obstacles of 1000 fathom salvage

Later

Gary Joyce
Qwerty

"Qwerty" wrote:

...... she went back to Russia, a
very old lady, and found, after a lifetime of living in England and only
speaking English that she could no longer remember how to speak Russian.

Maybe the spoken, colloquial, Russian had changed. Among other things
a lot of "Comarad" this-and-that back then, with a lot of whispering
and suspicion. Trotsky had been assassinated and maybe it wasn't safe
to be a former secretary, no matter how old...

No, the memory channels get blocked, especially with age. I knew a girl who
emigrated with her parents from Switzerland at age 8 and returned at age
18 - had togo to language classes to get her German back.

I had worked in Madrid long enough to become fluent in Spanish; moved to
Switzerland and, after about ten years, had a project in Spain. When I got
there and tried to speak Spanish, only German came out; took me two days to
get back to being able to communicate again and it was never with my old
fluency. Then when I had to answer the phone from head office, had trouble
to switch back to German. Some people have great talent with languages
(definitely not me) but it helps to start young and to keep practicing.

Regards,

Q.