gjoyce

Default your favorite sailing adventure book

DirtCrashr wrote in message . ..
the Swallows and Amazons series.

Wow! I read those when I was a kid, overseas, almost forty years ago
-- it suddenly comes back. I think that's when I first wished to go
sailing.
I remember the idea of lights in-line, guiding a boat into a harbor at
night. My brother and I used to make maps of imaginary harbors with
rocks and secretive "light-lines" that would enable passage.
Our land-based adventures as kids of that age group were pretty
similar.

-keith
mtn. view

I've got three (plus one) of them ...(and I liked Riddle of the Sands
as well)

In order:
"The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst " ... read this I don't
know how many times, and still find it riveting ... by Nicholas
Tomalin and Ron Hall

H.W. Tillman's "The Eight Sailing/Mountain Exploration Books" (I also
liked "The Seven Mountain Travel Books" ... I also climb) ...
fantastic stuff to places to mostly cold places... man, was that guy
ahead of his time..

Spike Walker's "Working on the Edge" about the king crab fishery ...
hard core stuff and makes you wish you acted on all those "I'm gonna
go work on the pipeline" bar conversations back in the 70s ....

And here's one that's not really a boat book, but makes for
fascinating reading if you're into treasure, science, boats, history,
etc. .. "Ship of Gold" by Gary Sanders ...about the wreck and recovery
of the cargo of the Gold-Rush-era steamship Central America ... really
fascinating stuff, overcoming the obstacles of 1000 fathom salvage

Later

Gary Joyce