Default Higher gun ownership equals higher rate of homicide

On 9/19/13 11:17 AM, iBoaterer wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 9/19/13 10:56 AM, iBoaterer wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 9/19/13 10:19 AM, iBoaterer wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 9/19/13 8:16 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

"F.O.A.D." wrote in message

On 9/19/13 7:57 AM, iBoaterer wrote:
In article ,
says...

In article ,
says...

Perhaps the NRA doesn't give a **** one way or the other.

Just don't seem right letting NRA members, and honest, upright gun-
owners be treated like smokers.
Just don't seem right.
If the NRA won't stand up for the right for a legal and upright gun
owner to have a cup of coffee with his legal gun on his hip, who will?
Treating a gun-owner like you would a smoker! Disgraceful!
It ain't right, I'm telling you, it just ain't right.
What if somebody comes in to shoot the place up, and kill everybody?
Hell, that just happened in that DC Navy yard.
But I'm willing to give the NRA a chance here. It's still early.

Private businesses have the right to deny service to anyone they want.

Uh, no.

Uh, yes, as long as it's not in violation of any specific Civil Rights
law, i.e. racial discrimination, etc. Anyone can be determined to be
persona non grata at the discretion of the business owner if he/she
feels that person is or may be disruptive to the business.

That's right...you can't legally discriminate and therefore private
businesses do not have the right to deny service to anyone they want
without a reason that doesn't violate the law.

So, the answer remains, "Uh, no."

As a business person, I can refuse to do business with a person no
matter what. I don't have to take ANY job if I don't want to.

You have to think a bit wider than your immediate surrounding or
personal business.

As one example, Title II of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits
discrimination based on race, color, religion or national origin in
hotels, motels, restaurants, theaters, and all other public
accommodations engaged in interstate commerce.

So, if you ran a diner, you could not legally refuse to serve blacks,
Jews, Armenians, et cetera, because they were black, Jewish, or
Armenian. You might be able to refuse service to PsychoSnotty because he
is an asshole, but I am not sure about that.

I can refuse them service if I so choose. I can't however refuse service
because of their ethnicity, etc. BUT, again, I can refuse them service,
as can any business refuse anyone service.

I don't want this to devolve into one of the usual iBoater-Gregg
episodes. Suffice it to say that your ability if you are in the public
accommodation business to refuse service is not absolute so the answer
remains, "Uh, no." You cannot refuse to do business with a person no
matter what.

Give me one example of someone wanting my services and a MUST say yes.

What does that have to do with the laws requiring non-discrimination in

"F.O.A.D." wrote in message

[...]

What if you are not in the "Public Accommodation business"?

The best you can rightfully say is "Uh qualified no" and Mr Luddite can
rightfully say "Uh qualified yes". Sorry, you lose again.

,
[...]

If you'd get your conditions and qualifiers out in the open at the get
go, instead of throwing them in the middle of a discussion,folks would
have an easier time of pinning you down. And, Oh, that goes for Loogie too

In article ,
says...

"F.O.A.D." wrote in message

[...]

What I said was that a business has the right to refuse service to
anyone they like, you said they didn't. That simply is not true.

In article ,
says...

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 11:17:54 -0400, iBoaterer
wrote:

Give me one example of someone wanting my services and a MUST say yes.

When they show up with a lawyer.

Nope. They'll lose.

On 9/19/13 12:10 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 10:54:21 -0400, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 9/19/13 10:19 AM, iBoaterer wrote:

h, no."

As a business person, I can refuse to do business with a person no
matter what. I don't have to take ANY job if I don't want to.

You have to think a bit wider than your immediate surrounding or
personal business.

As one example, Title II of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits
discrimination based on race, color, religion or national origin in
hotels, motels, restaurants, theaters, and all other public
accommodations engaged in interstate commerce.

So, if you ran a diner, you could not legally refuse to serve blacks,
Jews, Armenians, et cetera, because they were black, Jewish, or
Armenian. You might be able to refuse service to PsychoSnotty because he
is an asshole, but I am not sure about that.

You forgot women and gays.

Not only that the ADA requires that you make accommodations so that
anyone with any kind of handicap has to have access to EVERY part of
your business open to the public.
A case in point. In Ft Myers there was a restaurant with 4 or 5 tables
on a small elevated platform in back that was not accessible. There
were dozens of tables in the same room that were accessible, same
food, same service. The owner was sued out of existence because he
would not remove 12 or more tables to build a ramp.

The only unprotected class in he US is healthy, heterosexual, white,
males.
You can throw then out any time you want.

Awwwwww. Poor baby.

That Ft. Myers restauranteur could have simply removed the platform and
put in four more tables.

I suspect that most people in this country have decided that
discrimination of the sort under discussion is not in our national
interest. Women, for example, still only earn 75% of the pay men earn
for doing similar work. Wasn't the Publix supermarket chain in your area
in hot water a decade or so ago for non promoting women to managerial jobs?

On 9/19/13 2:32 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 12:30:32 -0400, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 9/19/13 12:10 PM,
wrote:

Not only that the ADA requires that you make accommodations so that
anyone with any kind of handicap has to have access to EVERY part of
your business open to the public.
A case in point. In Ft Myers there was a restaurant with 4 or 5 tables
on a small elevated platform in back that was not accessible. There
were dozens of tables in the same room that were accessible, same
food, same service. The owner was sued out of existence because he
would not remove 12 or more tables to build a ramp.

The only unprotected class in he US is healthy, heterosexual, white,
males.
You can throw then out any time you want.

Awwwwww. Poor baby.

That Ft. Myers restauranteur could have simply removed the platform and
put in four more tables.

It was a structural part of the building, not just a deck.
The building was "historic" and changes were limited.

I suspect that most people in this country have decided that
discrimination of the sort under discussion is not in our national
interest. Women, for example, still only earn 75% of the pay men earn
for doing similar work. Wasn't the Publix supermarket chain in your area
in hot water a decade or so ago for non promoting women to managerial jobs?

I am not sure about that. One of my stores has a woman general manager
and there is a fairly good mix of women department managers around
here.

Maybe that is just an old story

You did notice the phrase "a decade or so ago," right"

m...

"F.O.A.D." wrote in message

[...]

Sorry Harry. You are wrong on this one. I've booted people out of
the guitar shop who weren't violating any laws but were being total
asses.
Not many, but a handful over the 4 plus years I had the shop. After
the first experience I checked the legality of my actions with a
lawyer. Perfectly legal, and within my rights as the owner of the
business.

I've also seen professionals banned from places of business .... in
this case not mine, but one I worked for. Again, perfectly legal and
within the rights of the business owner.

On 9/19/13 2:54 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

m...

"F.O.A.D." wrote in message

[...]

I said you couldn't discriminate for reasons that violated the law and,
also, I doubt your guitar show came under the umbrella of a public
accommodation.

Words are important.

Gas getting higher. Tim General 138 March 6th 11 02:43 AM
Higher Ed in Virginia jps General 8 December 13th 09 09:23 PM
She now answers to a higher authority H the K General 0 July 17th 09 05:17 PM
Higher gas coming *sigh* Tim General 0 May 13th 09 06:33 AM
OT--Bush has the higher IQ NOYB General 66 October 30th 04 02:54 PM