Default Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic

On 6/25/13 9:32 PM, JustWaitAFrekinMinute wrote:
On 6/25/2013 8:31 PM, Earl wrote:
John H wrote:
On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 19:57:16 -0400, Earl wrote:

John H wrote:
My smoker is electric, so I never get flames - just smoldering. I
got rid of the charcoal smoker
many years ago. Too much trouble when smoking a turkey.

John H.
Smoking was the only way I prepared a turkey - until I learned about
deep-frying! I've never gone back except one year when we had a large
group and I did one each way. The only left overs were from the
smoked turkey.
I've never deep fried a turkey. I started putting the turkey on a
rotisserie over charcoal. Wow. The
Weber will handle a 15lb'er pretty well. They come off much more moist
than in the smoker. Some
smoke flavor can be added by putting some aluminum foil wrapped chips
on top of the charcoal.

John (Gun Nut) H.

Try it and you'll never go back. A 12# turkey is done in less than an
hour and tastes great! It's not greasy at all. The hot oil seems to
seal it up quickly. I've never tried injecting mine like many do - they
tasted too good already.

I inject with a Balsamic Vinegar / Honey mix.. About half and half in
the injector needle under the skin and in the meat.

I roasted a turkey last week in the grill in a roasting pan. We liked
the way it tasted.

On 6/26/2013 8:39 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:
On 6/26/13 8:28 AM, iBoaterer wrote:
In article ,
says...

John H wrote:
[...]

Brining works much better.

Gosh, what if you like taste of turkey when it tastes like...turkey?

What? You don't like pickled turkey?

In article ,
says...

John H wrote:
[...]

A brined turkey tastes like turkey. Read up on it, it's a great way to
make a very moist bird.

http://gizmodo.com/5862312/brine-you...ol-its-science

John H wrote:
[...]

All of this is subjective... When we want Turkey that "tastes like
Turkey" we do the traditional thing in the oven with stuffing and
stuff... It's pretty simple really, but we have discovered that you can
buy several Turkeys a year, and cook them all differently if you wish

I do whole chickens and turkeys all the time. Chickens are my favorite.
Salt, pepper, and a bit of butter... in the oven and yum.

In article m,
says...

John H wrote:
[...]

Dumb and dumber.....

http://gizmodo.com/5862312/brine-you...ol-its-science

On 6/26/13 9:30 AM, iBoaterer wrote:
In article ,
says...

John H wrote:
[...]

I don't have the slightest problem roasting a turkey that comes out
tasty and moist. All I do to the bird is wash it, put salt, pepper and
paprika on the skin, and pop it into the oven. Sometimes I cook the
stuffing inside the bird, sometimes not. A good meat thermometer and a
clock are your friends. Though I have cooked a turkey on our grill, I
prefer the oven because it is so easy to control the temperature inside
after setting it once.

I'm not knocking how others cook their turkeys. I just don't see the
problem in roasting one properly so that it tastes delicious.

In article ,
says...

John H wrote:
[...]

Gee, it seems that most renowned chefs disagree with you, maybe you
should teach them how to cook properly. Did you notice the difference in
the before/after weight of each when brining versus not brining? What do
you think that weight loss occurs from?

John H wrote:
[...]

Roasted chicken is our favorite here, whether roasted or baked in the
oven or on the grill. It's not easy finding small, whole, unfrozen
turkeys outside of the Thanksgiving season, but when I do, I buy one.

I don't think I've cooked a steak so far this year. We've both sort of
lost our taste for that sort of beef, although we will grill a burger
occasionally, and I still like a Hebrew National hotdog once in a while,
and whatever the brand of "Kosher" dog they serve at the Washington
Nationals' games.

Best Grill for sailboat ?? NE Sailboat Cruising 22 February 28th 07 01:56 AM
Magna Grill Problem/Advice Jim Bailey General 3 August 24th 04 12:09 AM
our grill Scott Vernon ASA 13 June 19th 04 02:37 PM
A Better Grill-FYI Bobsprit ASA 8 May 30th 04 03:39 AM
ON Topic -- Power boat novice seeks advice Jim General 31 April 15th 04 02:22 AM