bob bob is offline

Default painting gelcoat

I have an old boat that was neglected before I got it. Had the gelcoat
checked by a professional who said it was too badly oxidized and would
probably benefit from painting rather than polishing and waxing

Any opinons? What about doing this myself? Probably wouldn't use a
sprayer...

Best paint with minimal hazard?

"bob" wrote in message

I have an old boat that was neglected before I got it. Had the gelcoat
checked by a professional who said it was too badly oxidized and would
probably benefit from painting rather than polishing and waxing

Any opinons? What about doing this myself? Probably wouldn't use a
sprayer...

Best paint with minimal hazard?

There are several high quality topside paints for marine use, such as
AwlGrip and Interlux among others. They are basically a high gloss,
one-part polyurethane that may be sprayed, brushed or applied with a
roller. ( read about "Roll and Tip" at the attached link.)

As in any painting project, the secret is in the preparation. The
following link explains the process pretty well:

http://www.acbsphl.org/Tips_and_hint...nd_Tipping.htm

On Tue, 5 Mar 2013 18:36:18 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

I have an old boat that was neglected before I got it. Had the gelcoat
checked by a professional who said it was too badly oxidized and would
probably benefit from painting rather than polishing and waxing

Any opinons? What about doing this myself? Probably wouldn't use a
sprayer...

Best paint with minimal hazard?

=======

It is possible to paint your own boat with high gloss paint (there are
various kinds) but it is a *lot* of work and some of the paints are
very hazardous (virtually all of the 2 part polyurethanes like
Awlgrip).

There is a paint called Interlux Brightside which is not hazardous but
requires good prep, technique and thinning for best results. All of
the high gloss paints require good prep however because they will
highlight every little blemish.

Before you expend a lot of time and effort on painting I'd recommend
some agressive buffing with a good rubbing compound. Try it in a
small area with a good orbital buffer. You have nothing to lose but a
little work and if the original gel coat was good quality you may be
very pleased with the results.

bob bob is offline

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 20:30:17 -0400, Wayne B
wrote:

[...]

thanks much...yeah I think some of the paints are deadly. I don't have
a paint booth or SCBA so am stuck with the safe stuff
bob bob is offline

On Tue, 5 Mar 2013 18:36:18 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

"bob" wrote in message
.. .

I have an old boat that was neglected before I got it. Had the gelcoat
checked by a professional who said it was too badly oxidized and would
probably benefit from painting rather than polishing and waxing

Any opinons? What about doing this myself? Probably wouldn't use a
sprayer...

Best paint with minimal hazard?

There are several high quality topside paints for marine use, such as
AwlGrip and Interlux among others. They are basically a high gloss,
one-part polyurethane that may be sprayed, brushed or applied with a
roller. ( read about "Roll and Tip" at the attached link.)

As in any painting project, the secret is in the preparation. The
following link explains the process pretty well:

http://www.acbsphl.org/Tips_and_hint...nd_Tipping.htm

Thanks for the help. Never painted a boat before...anything like
housepainting?

bob wrote:
I have an old boat that was neglected before I got it. Had the gelcoat
checked by a professional who said it was too badly oxidized and would
probably benefit from painting rather than polishing and waxing

Any opinons? What about doing this myself? Probably wouldn't use a
sprayer...

Best paint with minimal hazard?

Behr's Premium from Home Depot and a 9" roller.

Seriously - it's not a DIY project unless you can prep it properly and
use a sprayer well.
bob bob is offline

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 20:35:08 -0500, Earl wrote:

bob wrote:
I have an old boat that was neglected before I got it. Had the gelcoat
checked by a professional who said it was too badly oxidized and would
probably benefit from painting rather than polishing and waxing

Any opinons? What about doing this myself? Probably wouldn't use a
sprayer...

Best paint with minimal hazard?

Behr's Premium from Home Depot and a 9" roller.

Seriously - it's not a DIY project unless you can prep it properly and
use a sprayer well.

Thought that might be the case but the boat is so old it's hard to
screw it up

wrote in message ...

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 17:27:16 -0500, bob wrote:

I have an old boat that was neglected before I got it. Had the
gelcoat
checked by a professional who said it was too badly oxidized and
would
probably benefit from painting rather than polishing and waxing

Any opinons? What about doing this myself? Probably wouldn't use a
sprayer...

Best paint with minimal hazard?

Unfortunately the best paint is very hazardous (Poly urethane) but if
you buy a real respirator (the filter can kind, not the paper mask)
you can shoot it.

It is not as bad if you are brushing or rolling it but the result is
not as good. I would still use some kind of respirator.

As everyone has said, prep is more important than the paint.
Do you have a double action sander? That is the best tool to open up
the surface, then wipe it down with acetone and paint it.
Again, use the right PPE during that process..

I believe the two-part polyurethane paints are the particularly
hazardous types and their use is recommended only by pros with the
proper equipment and gear.

The one-part polyurethane paints are designed for do-it-yourselfers
and although precautions need to be observed, they are not anywhere
near as dangerous.

II helped paint a friend's old 38's Hatteras with single part Poly
using the "Tip and Roll" method. It came out great.

bob bob is offline

On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 05:53:14 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

wrote in message ...

[...]

sounds good...what's tip and roll?

painting of Regina artist unknown - Barquentine Regina maris painting artist unknown.jpg joevan[_2_] Tall Ship Photos 0 April 20th 08 09:43 PM
Gelcoat vs.LP ashore Boat Building 9 August 24th 07 12:25 AM
gelcoat Terry Spragg Boat Building 0 November 30th 05 06:11 PM
gelcoat Brian Nystrom Boat Building 0 November 30th 05 01:54 PM
Gelcoat steve620 General 7 March 13th 05 02:23 PM