posted to rec.boats.building

Default Gelcoat vs.LP

Folks, WRT that 35-year-old sweetheart that some of you were kind
enough to post responses, I'm now considering re-gelling. The yard
folks tell me that 2-part LP application has gotten so expensive that
re-gelling hulls from the rail to somewhere below the waterline is a
reasonable consideration. I'm expecting quotes from the same guy on
both.

Any experience here? There's two good coats of epoxy primer in both
approaches, but are there any other things to watch for? Thanks all,

AS
Annapolis, MD

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 16:08:14 -0000, ashore wrote:

Folks, WRT that 35-year-old sweetheart that some of you were kind
enough to post responses, I'm now considering re-gelling. The yard
folks tell me that 2-part LP application has gotten so expensive that
re-gelling hulls from the rail to somewhere below the waterline is a
reasonable consideration. I'm expecting quotes from the same guy on
both.

Any experience here? There's two good coats of epoxy primer in both
approaches, but are there any other things to watch for? Thanks all,

AS
Annapolis, MD

There is something wrong here. Gel Coat is a Polyester resin with
pigment added to produce a colored surface. and applied directly to
the fiberglass. Epoxy primer is a type of paint and is usually the
base coat for a finish coat of either epoxy gloss paint (which chalks
when exposed to UV, i.e., sunlight) or a two part polyurathane paint.

I would start with a detailed explanation of methods and costs
viv-a-viv re-gel coating and painting and go from there.

No competent and honest craftsman I've known would be adverse to
explaining his work.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

ashore wrote:

Folks, WRT that 35-year-old sweetheart that some of you were kind
enough to post responses, I'm now considering re-gelling. The yard
folks tell me that 2-part LP application has gotten so expensive that
re-gelling hulls from the rail to somewhere below the waterline is a
reasonable consideration. I'm expecting quotes from the same guy on
both.

Any experience here? There's two good coats of epoxy primer in both
approaches, but are there any other things to watch for? Thanks all,

AS
Annapolis, MD

------------------

gel coat is just thickened polyester resin.... some stuff the rest of
the boat is made from.
Generally epoxy bonds to polyester resin but polyester resin doesn't
usually stick well to epoxy - and epoxy primers are just solvent thinned
epoxy.

LP coatings can be had for about $100 per gallon - same as bottom
paint. Of course you can buy the big name and pay $300 per gallon if
you like!

LPU coatings are not very user friendly during application. Another
option is a good 1 part enamel then an LPU clear coat on top. The
clear LPU may not show the 'mistakes' that a pigmented lpu would.

Note that lpu coatings come as polyester polyurethanes and acrylic
polyurethanes. Google LPU to learn more about this type of coatings....

paul oman'
progressive epoxy polymers.
posted to rec.boats.building

Guys, my bad, and thanks for the fill-in. The painter referred to the
epoxy primer only when we talked LP - not when we talked regelling,
and I just assumed it applied in both cases. "Too soon old and too
late schmardt."

-AS

posted to rec.boats.building

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 21:11:46 -0400, Paul Oman
wrote:

ashore wrote:

[...]

If you are in the tropics I strongly recommend that you DO NOT clear
coat the boat. I have seen a couple of boats that have been
clearcoated here in Thailand (my own and another chap's) and in both
cases after about 5 years the clear coat began to blister and peel and
the boats required repainting.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 04:49:47 -0000, ashore wrote:

Guys, my bad, and thanks for the fill-in. The painter referred to the
epoxy primer only when we talked LP - not when we talked regelling,
and I just assumed it applied in both cases. "Too soon old and too
late schmardt."

-AS

I suggest that you discuss in detail exactly what and how long that
the various stages of the re-gel coating will require.

I say this because a good friend does fiberglass repairs and in all
cases where he has had t make gel coat repairs it has taken
considerable time to sand and polish the applied gel coat to a
satisfactory finish and my understanding is that labor costs are much
higher in the U.S. then we are used to here.

I would appreciate a heads up on what you learn as I am in the process
of rebuilding an old power boat and the question of painting will come
sooner or later. If something new has been discovered I'd sure like to
be aware of it.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)
posted to rec.boats.building

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 01:21:26 -0500, cavelamb himself

If you are in the tropics I strongly recommend that you DO NOT clear
coat the boat. I have seen a couple of boats that have been
clearcoated here in Thailand (my own and another chap's) and in both
cases after about 5 years the clear coat began to blister and peel and
the boats required repainting.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

Sounds like skimpy prep work, Bruce, but you probably already know
a whole lot about that (now).

Richard in Texas

I don't think so. At least the preliminary work, removal of original
finish, priming and filling, prime coats, final sanding and
application of top coats seem to have been done correctly as there has
been no deterioration in that area in about seven years.

After the final finnish coat was applied a coat of clear coat was
applied the following morning after the sun had come up and initial
morning humidity had dropped but before the sun was so high that the
boat felt hot.

I'm not a professional painter by any means but two boats, painted in
different yards, but different people had the same problem.

In addition there was an individual who posted about paint peeling on
a fiberglass pickup truck canopy and when I described what my paint
looked like he said that was how his looked.

On the other hand, clear coating (to the best of my knowledge) came
from the car painters and must have been used extensively in Southern
California.

I certainly wouldn't use it again.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)
posted to rec.boats.building

'AS',

Read all the responses, to date. A lot of good advise. However nobody took
into account where YOU LIVE. In fact, one individual mentioned 'the tropics'
!!

Annapolis, 'The Sailing Capitol of the World' {at least that's what it says
on a sweatshirt}, and the home of 'Buddies Crabs & Ribs' {overlooking 'Ego
Alley'}. Been there many times, for Sailboat shows, and ASA Certification.
My point is that there are 'Yards' and 'Repair & Refurbishment' folks
falling over each other!! Go to a couple well-established NON-Repair places
{like Fawcetts {spl?}, Bacon's, or Annapolis Performance Sailing} and ask
for SEVERAL recommendations. Then go and talk to the people, discuss the
problem, ask about their procedures, LOOK at their facilities, ask about
GUARANTEES, and get QUOTES.

Then make an INFORMED decision.

For what it's worth . . .

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"ashore" wrote
Folks, WRT that 35-year-old sweetheart that some of you were kind
enough to post responses, I'm now considering re-gelling. The yard
folks tell me that 2-part LP application has gotten so expensive that
re-gelling hulls from the rail to somewhere below the waterline is a
reasonable consideration. I'm expecting quotes from the same guy on
both.

Any experience here? There's two good coats of epoxy primer in both
approaches, but are there any other things to watch for? Thanks all,

AS
Annapolis, MD

posted to rec.boats.building
Dan Dan is offline

Ron Magen wrote:
[...]

Gelcoat for me all the way. The prep is nearly the same but fixing the
mistakes are a breeze. mistakes with LPU........?

Gelcoat question LouiSurfer Boat Building 15 June 20th 07 11:38 AM
gelcoat Terry Spragg Boat Building 0 November 30th 05 06:11 PM
gelcoat Brian Nystrom Boat Building 0 November 30th 05 01:54 PM
Gelcoat steve620 General 7 March 13th 05 02:23 PM
Gelcoat Grumpy General 4 December 21st 03 07:47 PM