posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] brucedpaige@gmail.com is offline

Default Gelcoat vs.LP

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 01:21:26 -0500, cavelamb himself

If you are in the tropics I strongly recommend that you DO NOT clear
coat the boat. I have seen a couple of boats that have been
clearcoated here in Thailand (my own and another chap's) and in both
cases after about 5 years the clear coat began to blister and peel and
the boats required repainting.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

Sounds like skimpy prep work, Bruce, but you probably already know
a whole lot about that (now).

Richard in Texas

I don't think so. At least the preliminary work, removal of original
finish, priming and filling, prime coats, final sanding and
application of top coats seem to have been done correctly as there has
been no deterioration in that area in about seven years.

After the final finnish coat was applied a coat of clear coat was
applied the following morning after the sun had come up and initial
morning humidity had dropped but before the sun was so high that the
boat felt hot.

I'm not a professional painter by any means but two boats, painted in
different yards, but different people had the same problem.

In addition there was an individual who posted about paint peeling on
a fiberglass pickup truck canopy and when I described what my paint
looked like he said that was how his looked.

On the other hand, clear coating (to the best of my knowledge) came
from the car painters and must have been used extensively in Southern
California.

I certainly wouldn't use it again.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)