Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
jps jps is offline

Default Floridian Hospitality

William Pettry had flown from Milwaukee to Jacksonville, Fla., for the
Bears game against the Jaguars with his best friend, looking for a
good time.

He never made it to the football game. His life ended at a bar early
Sunday when police said a Jacksonville man, Matthew Hinson, 27,
slashed Pettry’s throat “cold-bloodedly” after he talked to Hinson’s
wife.

Pettry, 42, and a father of three, died at a nearby hospital.

Witnesses told police that Hinson “cut the victim and calmly walked
out of the establishment,” putting the knife in his pocket.

Police stopped Hinson before he pulled out of the bar parking lot in
his truck, and he scuffled with officers. “He resisted a little bit,”
Jacksonville County Police Lt. Rob Schoonover said at a Monday news
conference.

Police said Hinson admitted to the killing but wouldn’t say why he did
it. Police said the killing was not sports-related.

Pettry was a construction worker and “such a huge Bears fan. ... He
never got to go to the Bears game, he never got to enjoy it," his
cousin, Quincy Asbury Jr., told the Chicago Tribune.

In a Facebook post that has since been taken down, Pettry’s wife,
Karen, posted that “I'm so numb and I still can not believe it is
true. Today my husband William Christopher Pettry (Most of you only
know him by Chris) was taken from his family way too early. Some idiot
has taken his life. I’m so mad, just don’t understand why, very lost
right now. Please hug the ones you love because you never know if
tomorrow you will have that chance.”
Her profile featured a white construction van covered with painted
hand prints and the words "#1 Daddy We Love you!"

Police said that at the bar, Hinson saw Pettry and a friend talking to
Hinson’s wife and another woman. At one point, police said, Hinson was
sitting on a bench with Pettry, then stood up and cut his throat
before walking out.

Ryan hospitality jps General 3 August 13th 12 06:09 AM
Florida Hospitality jps General 2 September 5th 09 10:39 PM
Secret Service Visits Floridian jps General 29 August 13th 09 02:04 AM