Default Propane or Natural Gas for Small Home Generators

On 7/30/2012 3:53 PM, X ` Man wrote:
On 7/30/12 3:25 PM, John H. wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 15:14:45 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

On 7/30/12 3:01 PM, John H. wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 14:44:01 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 14:20:26 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 17:55:38 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

Any of you who have ever depended on a small home generator
during an
extended power outage will appreciate the fact that gasoline can
become difficult to obtain. This is further compounded by the
problems of storing ethanol gas for any length of time. After
hurricane Charlie here in SW Florida my neighbor and I took turns
driving 50 miles round trip every night for over a week to buy
generator gas.

I just found a web site selling propane and natural gas conversion
kits for small gasoline generators if anyone is interested. I have
no personal interest (or experience) with their products.

http://www.propane-generators.com/

Cool! I'd never thought about that, but it makes good sense for
the little Generac I use with the
camper. Then I wouldn't have to carry three fuels, diesel,
propane, and gasoline. Will definitely
look into that.

Propane is only attractive if you have a bulk tank in the yard.

Those 20 and 30 pound tanks are pretty expensive to fill.

The perfect system is natural gas if you can get it.

Well, I'm already carrying four 20lb tanks on the fiver, Not having
to carry gasoline may make it
worthwhile. The tanks run me $17 or so to fill. Don't know how long
one of those would last on the
generator. But, we'd be using it only when roughing it somewhere,
like on the side of a rode while
riding to Alaska.

You can play the guitar while Mrs. H. drives the 4500 miles to Alaska,
burning what, about 350 gallons of diesel each way. And with that new
.45ACP, you can shoot at the attacking bears. Not likely to stop them,
though.

About 80 hours of driving each way.

Joy.

It's a joy if you want to say hello to Tim, see the Badlands of North
Dakota, visit Mt Rushmore,
spend a week or two in Yellowstone and Grand Teton, not to mention
Glacier National Parks, watch the
bears and moose alongside the road and see how beautiful this country
you despise really is.

There, you finally got noticed. Feel better?

WATOABH

We've seen the badlands, mt. rushmore, big horn county, and yellowstone,
but I wouldn't claim that seeing many of the sights just once is
sufficient.

We have a conference coming up in the middle of 2013 in Seattle. We've
been talking about flying to Anchorage after the conference and spending
a couple of weeks in Alaska. Don't like driving for days and days, don't
like sleeping in an RV. To each his own.

We have a conference? You make it sound like you might be participating.

On 7/30/2012 4:38 PM, X ` Man wrote:
On 7/30/12 4:33 PM, iBoaterer wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

Well, then you'll have a great time looking out of your hotel window in
Anchorage.

Typically when we travel, all we do in the hotel is take a shower before
bed, sleep, take another shower in the morning and then do whatever it
is we're planning to do that do. Perhaps when you have a wife or
girlfriend or rediscover your wife and children, you'll do that, too.

You plan on rediscovering your wife? Good for you. Oh, by the way, which
one?

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 16:09:59 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 15:25:48 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 15:14:45 -0400, X ` Man wrote:

It's a joy if you want to say hello to Tim, see the Badlands of North Dakota, visit Mt Rushmore,
spend a week or two in Yellowstone and Grand Teton, not to mention Glacier National Parks, watch the
bears and moose alongside the road and see how beautiful this country you despise really is.

There, you finally got noticed. Feel better?

WATOABH

I bet you will be pretty damned tired of the camper by then ;-)

The great thing about driving in Alaska is, you can get the hell away
from the cruise ships. We prefer driving and stopping at a real
building with hot water and electricity but we are old.
Some of the best places we stayed there were in the Kenai at B&Bs
If you are in Cooper Landing ask for Lovie and Willie's place
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/alaska/lovi...d%20willie.jpg

The Best Western in Homer is pretty nice in an Alaska sense and it is
reasonably priced (rare in Alaska). Homer is an interesting place ...
unless the cruise ships have found it.

This is the main tourist attraction
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/alaska/salty%20dawg.jpg

Seward is Key West without the charm.

If we were in the little 18'er, I'd agree with your comment about getting of the camper by then.
But, we took the 18'er for three and a half weeks to southern Utah, and had a spectacular time. This
trailer has over twice the room and is basically like a nice apartment on wheels.

This gives a pretty good idea of what it's like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTevxQt9a4w

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 15:57:14 -0400, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

The 17# tank is about like 3 gallons of gasoline, give or take.
You get less bang for the gallon on propane so it is probably a bit
less.

Well, at $3.79/gal, there's not a whole hell of a lot of difference. The convenience might be worth
it. But, I can suffer a lot of inconvenience for $380, or whatever!

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 16:38:52 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

all we do in the hotel is take a shower before
bed, sleep, take another shower in the morning

===

Sounds like you folks are really cleaning up your act.

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 17:45:55 -0400, John H.
wrote:

we took the 18'er for three and a half weeks to southern Utah, and had a spectacular time.

===

We are planning to spend some time in southern Utah later this year?

Any recommendations?

wrote:

all we do in the hotel is take a shower before
bed, sleep, take another shower in the morning

===

Sounds like you folks are really cleaning up your act.

I've always been able to think of additional things to do with my wife in a hotel room!

wrote:

all we do in the hotel is take a shower before
bed, sleep, take another shower in the morning

===

Sounds like you folks are really cleaning up your act.

I've always been able to think of additional things to do with my wife in a hotel room!

Probably why your wife locks herself in the bathroom.

--
I'm a liberal because the militant fundamentalist ignorant
science-denying religious xenophobic corporate oligarchy of modern

wrote:

all we do in the hotel is take a shower before
bed, sleep, take another shower in the morning

===

Sounds like you folks are really cleaning up your act.

I've always been able to think of additional things to do with my wife in a hotel room!

Harry buys her a package of Hebrew Nationals. That gives her something
to do while he's hooked to his machine catching some shut-eye.

wrote:

we took the 18'er for three and a half weeks to southern Utah, and had a spectacular time.

===

We are planning to spend some time in southern Utah later this year?

Any recommendations?

YES!!

First stop, Moab, UT. Visit Arches and Canyonlands National Parks (NP) and Dead Horse Point SP. A
week would be good here, but we stayed only four days.

Then back to I-70, west to Hwy 24 south. Follow to Hwy 12 south. Spectacular scenery. Don't stop for
pictures every ten minutes. Visit Capitol Reef NP for a couple hours or more, and continue on Hwy 12
'til you reach Hyw 63, and take a left to Bryce Canyon NP. Fantastic place. While there, be sure and
take the free bus tour offered by Ruby's Campground. The sign up place is right there at the
campground. If you're not camping, Ruby's Lodge seemed pretty nice, but I'd make reservations early.
( http://tinyurl.com/caa5mqs ). A week in Bryce would be nice. Go on a mule ride.

From there, back to Hwy 12 west to Hwy 89, south to Hwy 9 and west to Zion NP. Plan on a few days
there, and be sure and take the bus tour through the park.

From there, drop down south and head east to the Grand Canyon North Rim. Be sure to stop at Jacobs
Lake and visit the trading post. After a few days at the Grand Canyon, head over to Page, AZ, rent a
pontoon boat and spend a few days on Lake Powell. Be sure to visit Lower Antelope Canyon. Take a
tripod, and they'll let you linger for a lot longer in the canyon and take your time with your
pictures.

Finally, we went to Monument Valley for a couple days and then headed home. I'd like to do the whole
thing again, with more time, and visit some of the places we didn't get to, like Lake Powell.

Start planning early. If you plan to visit and stay at the lodge or cabins, make reservations really
early. I'd start calling them now. ( http://tinyurl.com/cjme7y6 )

Hope you have a super trip!