Tim

Default Natural gas, heating oil prices up 30%

Harry,

ironicly enough, your ol' buddy Bill Oreilley was blasting the oil
companies last night for the gouging they give to the US.

People can't afford $4-6.00 gas, but the oil companies were amassing
175 Bil + $$$ profits.

Tim

*JimH*

"OlBlueEyes" wrote in message
Harry Krause wrote in
:

I certainly hope that while Bush pushes for tax cuts for the wealthy, he
pushes for some energy subsidies for the poor.

The left wing wants to see more conservation. Subsidies encourage
consumption. Explain the contradiction, please.

Speaking of the poor.....and I sympathize with them,
but...........summarizing a topic discussed today on national radio:

When Roosevelt suggested setting up tent cities outside of major cities
(places to find work) to help the "dust bowl" refugees find meaningful work
in those cities he was scorned and told that doing so would take away the
victims drive and ambition to actually work.....depending on the US
government to subsidize them. He went ahead with the project. Folks
worked to get enough money to buy food for their families despite the
objections on the project.

Ever read "The Grapes of Wrath"?

Funny thing though.....since that time more and more people have become
dependant on the government and the federal government has made that their
number one budget output.

Understand that this was never a function of the federal government prior to
that time...........OK..........fast click to today.................consider
the Katrina disaster and focus on New Orleans.

If.............Bush were to suggest that the folks who were homeless and
penniless because of Katrina live in housing compounds just outside NO's
(all built and subsidized by the US) and work to rebuild the city (paid a
fair wage by the US government, transported to the worksites by US
government buses), but with that work including recovering and digging
graves for the victims...........there would be an outcry from the libs and
the victims...........how dare you ask these folks to work such demeaning
jobs for their survival! Indeed.

We live in a different world now, 180 degrees from the
1930's..............there is no doubt about it.

Fact in point.............Houston is asking for volunteers to help serve
food and to maintain the Astrodome for the homeless now living there. Eh?
Last I checked there were thousands of folks sitting on cots............why
can't they *volunteer* and help themselves?

Answer.......go back and reread this post.

I am not insensitive.....we were quick to volunteer money and time when we
read about the need. But I am tired of folks blaming others for their
problems and relying on the government (*our* money) to live. My family has
worked (my kids, my wife and me since age 12). We have never asked for a
dime from the government. We also would know to get out of a place
predicted 72 hours in advance of being a natural disaster because of an
approaching storm....we would certainly not rely on the government to save
us. We also know that one needs an education so as not to have to live with
no means to move and relocate when a disaster approaches, or to depend on
the government for our long term survival.

I am tired of paying for others that can work but choose not to. I am tired
of high taxes and tax increases. I am tired of folks not taking
responsibilities for their lives.

End of rant. Call me insensitive, not PC or whatever phrase you want to
use. I could care less.

PocoLoco

On 8 Sep 2005 15:40:46 -0700, "Tim" wrote:

Harry,

ironicly enough, your ol' buddy Bill Oreilley was blasting the oil
companies last night for the gouging they give to the US.

People can't afford $4-6.00 gas, but the oil companies were amassing
175 Bil + $$$ profits.

Tim

O'Reilly blasts a lot of the administrations activities, or lack thereof. The
problem is that he will blast both sides. When one is normally exposed to only
one side, the 'both side' blasting seems very biased!

How much heat has be been giving the administration for the border problem? A
bunch!
--
John H

*JimH*

"*JimH*" wrote in message

[...]

Forgot to add:

Why can immigrant to this country make it, sometimes in a very big way?

I am not only talking about our grandparents or parents who came over from
Europe but also the recent immigrants....the ones owning gas stations,
'quickie stores', delis and driving taxi's.........and feeding off the lazy
and uneducated who have no desire to work or succeed?

The answer is obvious. Back track to the beginning of my rant. ;-)

I truly feel sorry for my children and their children if this trend
continues.....hopefully this disaster will be a wakeup call ........I doubt
it though.

*JimH*

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 18:49:01 -0400, "*JimH*" wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

End of rant. Call me insensitive, not PC or whatever phrase you want to
use. I could care less.

Through our church, we are hosting a family of six, two parents and
four children, at one of our apartment houses.

Without getting into details, they've been here two days. We gave
them some money for clothes, food and and had an old TV, some
furniture in storage, stuff like that. We had a couple of older model
cell phones and got those up and running for them to use.

Today we went out to find a mini-van for them to use. As it happened,
one of the folks I know who is in the former leased car business had a
Ford mini with 50k on it - gave it to them and basically said he would
take a dollar - when he could spare to give it..

We hustled to get it registered and by the time we got back to the
apartment, imagine my surprise when I found the grass mowed and the
kids managed to find the paint and brushes and were painting an area
of the porch I just hadn't gotten around to yet. They asked if they
could do the windows tomorrow, but my wife informed them that they
were going to be going to school tomorrow. :)

He was a rigger at Lykes and wanted to find a job welding or working
with metal as a fabricator/rigger. I made a few calls, got a few
leads and he just called me with good news - he starts as a welder on
Monday with a local iron company. It ain't rigging heavy machinery or
working with heavy steel, but it is welding and the wages are good.

She was a Teacher's Aide and through the efforts of some of my wife's
friends, she is working as a TA in the town where the apartments are
located - two blocks from the school.

Get this - he asked me if he could hold off repaying us until he got a
little money in the bank. And he wanted to know what the rent was
because he wanted to pay rent.

Interesting huh?

Indeed. What a nice family...on both sides. Your family was willing to
take in a family and the other family was willing travel over 1,000 miles
north to start a new life and not depend on the government for their
survival.

Your generosity will be rewarded Tom. If I ever expressed a cross word to
you I was wrong and apologize...you are obviously "good people". ;-)

*JimH*

"*JimH*" wrote in message

"*JimH*" wrote in message

"OlBlueEyes" wrote in message
Harry Krause wrote in
:

I certainly hope that while Bush pushes for tax cuts for the wealthy,
he
pushes for some energy subsidies for the poor.

The left wing wants to see more conservation. Subsidies encourage
consumption. Explain the contradiction, please.

Speaking of the poor.....and I sympathize with them,
but...........summarizing a topic discussed today on national radio:

When Roosevelt suggested setting up tent cities (paid for by the US
Govt. ) outside of major cities (places to find work) to help the "dust
bowl" refugees find meaningful work in those cities (the US Govt offered
a fair wage for the work) he was scorned and told that doing so would
take away the victims drive and ambition to actually work, with them
depending on the US government to subsidize them.

He went ahead with the project. Folks worked to get enough money to buy
food for their families despite the objections on the project. The
project was a sucess despite the detractors.

Have you ever read "The Grapes of Wrath"?

Funny thing though.....since that time more and more people have become
dependant on the federal government, which has now made that their
number one budget output. Understand that this was never a function of
the federal government prior to that time.

OK..........fast click to today.................consider the Katrina
disaster and focus on New Orleans.

If.............Bush were to suggest that the folks who are homeless and
[...]

PocoLoco

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 00:13:18 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 19:34:26 -0400, "*JimH*" wrote:

`` snippage ~~

Indeed. What a nice family...on both sides. Your family was willing to
take in a family and the other family was willing travel over 1,000 miles
north to start a new life and not depend on the government for their
survival

It's interesting how it happened actually. Our Pastor called Sunday
and asked if we had some spare rooms and he explained the
inter-denominational deal our parish was involved in. We said sure
and the next thing you know, we were put in touch with them and the
ball started moving.

When you stop to consider all the private and interfaith agencies
involved in this, it's staggering. United (I think - one of the
majors anyway) flew them free of charge out of Atlanta to TF Green in
RI, one of the parish members picked them up and got them a hot meal
along the way, my two kids who are still local and my DIL busted their
butts to clean up the apartment, a couple of friends donated and
hauled some spare furniture up three flights of stairs, we took up a
quick collection and got $1,500 for their immediate use and my wife
and I supplemented the debit card we got for them - hell, even the DMV
got in the act. When I explained the situation to the examiner, she
couldn't have been m

ore accommodating and her supervisor was a genuine
gentleman and cut more red tape in ten minutes than I ever knew
existed. The guy who hired this fellow has kids in the wife's school
and knew the situation - he has the business backlog and hired a
welder.

So it was more than an individual effort - it was a bunch of people
all working towards a common goal.

And in a sense, everybody wins.

And I've seen this often enough around here - it's just the way folks
are. Living in the country, you do things like that. If one farmer
has a problem, others help with machinery, farm hands, space -
whatever is needed. My dogs get called at all hours to herd heifers
back into their pens or pastures. Every once in a while a cooler will
appear in front of the garage filled with fresh heavy cream which we
turn into ice and whipped cream.

It takes more than somebody saying yes - it takes a bunch of people to
make things happen.

What Liz and I did is just a small part of that total effort.

Way to go, Tom. You'll undoubtedly get more out this than they will.
--
John H

How to lower gas prices Frank General 3 September 3rd 05 07:07 PM
Prices of Used Boats ?!? [email protected] General 78 March 30th 05 01:56 PM
Prices of Used Boats ?!? [email protected] General 9 March 21st 05 08:09 PM
OT Repub voodoo econmics = inflation basskisser General 6 November 17th 04 06:12 PM
OT Gas prices ARE BushCo's fault basskisser General 50 June 8th 04 05:35 PM