Default Propane or Natural Gas for Small Home Generators

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 15:13:39 -0400, Wayne.B wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 15:01:20 -0400, John H.
wrote:

Well, I'm already carrying four 20lb tanks on the fiver, Not having to carry gasoline may make it
worthwhile. The tanks run me $17 or so to fill. Don't know how long one of those would last on the
generator. But, we'd be using it only when roughing it somewhere, like on the side of a rode while
riding to Alaska.

===

Are there any opportunities for renting an RV in Alaska or up in
Canada? I'd like to spend more time in Alaska but don't really want
to make a big investment in tow vehicles/campers.

Give these guys a shout. Don't know where you want to go up there, but rental RVs are available most
places now.

http://rvrentalsalefinder.com/fairba...FeSMTAodtAUAfA

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 15:14:45 -0400, X ` Man wrote:

On 7/30/12 3:01 PM, John H. wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 14:44:01 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 14:20:26 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 17:55:38 -0400, Wayne.B wrote:

Any of you who have ever depended on a small home generator during an
extended power outage will appreciate the fact that gasoline can
become difficult to obtain. This is further compounded by the
problems of storing ethanol gas for any length of time. After
hurricane Charlie here in SW Florida my neighbor and I took turns
driving 50 miles round trip every night for over a week to buy
generator gas.

I just found a web site selling propane and natural gas conversion
kits for small gasoline generators if anyone is interested. I have
no personal interest (or experience) with their products.

http://www.propane-generators.com/

Cool! I'd never thought about that, but it makes good sense for the little Generac I use with the
camper. Then I wouldn't have to carry three fuels, diesel, propane, and gasoline. Will definitely
look into that.

Propane is only attractive if you have a bulk tank in the yard.

Those 20 and 30 pound tanks are pretty expensive to fill.

The perfect system is natural gas if you can get it.

Well, I'm already carrying four 20lb tanks on the fiver, Not having to carry gasoline may make it
worthwhile. The tanks run me $17 or so to fill. Don't know how long one of those would last on the
generator. But, we'd be using it only when roughing it somewhere, like on the side of a rode while
riding to Alaska.

You can play the guitar while Mrs. H. drives the 4500 miles to Alaska,
burning what, about 350 gallons of diesel each way. And with that new
.45ACP, you can shoot at the attacking bears. Not likely to stop them,
though.

About 80 hours of driving each way.

Joy.

It's a joy if you want to say hello to Tim, see the Badlands of North Dakota, visit Mt Rushmore,
spend a week or two in Yellowstone and Grand Teton, not to mention Glacier National Parks, watch the
bears and moose alongside the road and see how beautiful this country you despise really is.

There, you finally got noticed. Feel better?

WATOABH

wrote:

[...]

We've seen the badlands, mt. rushmore, big horn county, and yellowstone,
but I wouldn't claim that seeing many of the sights just once is
sufficient.

We have a conference coming up in the middle of 2013 in Seattle. We've
been talking about flying to Anchorage after the conference and spending
a couple of weeks in Alaska. Don't like driving for days and days, don't
like sleeping in an RV. To each his own.

--
I'm a liberal because militant fundamentalist ignorant science-denying
religious xenophobic corporate oligarchy just doesn't work for me.

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

You just don't enjoy life, do you? I love to travel by car or RV, it's a
great way to see things that you are missing in a plane. Is your idea of
seeing the wilds of Alaska from a hotel in Anchorage?

On 7/30/12 4:20 PM, iBoaterer wrote:

You just don't enjoy life, do you? I love to travel by car or RV, it's a
great way to see things that you are missing in a plane. Is your idea of
seeing the wilds of Alaska from a hotel in Anchorage?

We don't consider driving long distances "enjoying" life. There is no
shortage of hotels, lodges, et cetera, in Alaska.

Does your wife like to sleep outdoors? Oh, wait...you got rid of your
family when you became iBoaterer.

wrote:

[...]

Well, then you'll have a great time looking out of your hotel window in
Anchorage.

On 7/30/12 4:33 PM, iBoaterer wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

Typically when we travel, all we do in the hotel is take a shower before
bed, sleep, take another shower in the morning and then do whatever it
is we're planning to do that do. Perhaps when you have a wife or
girlfriend or rediscover your wife and children, you'll do that, too.

wrote:

[...]

That's what I was thinking. Sounds like a lot of fun. Sure beets doing
donuts in the bay just to get some hours on the boat engines.