jim

Default any possible damage running WOT for 1hr?

Hello,

Anyone know if I could have damaged my 2001 mercruiser 3.0 running at
WOT for over an hour?

Afterwards, when I turned of my engine, it dieseled. Tried it a couple
times and it keeps dieseling. Ill try super unleaded next time out but
concerned if any permanent damage could have been done especially since
it was in salt. Never dieseled before. Only about 20hrs on it....sigh.

TIA!

Wayne.B

On 10 Oct 2003 04:21:28 GMT, jim wrote:
Hello,

Anyone know if I could have damaged my 2001 mercruiser 3.0 running at
WOT for over an hour?

Afterwards, when I turned of my engine, it dieseled. Tried it a couple
times and it keeps dieseling. Ill try super unleaded next time out but
concerned if any permanent damage could have been done especially since
it was in salt. Never dieseled before. Only about 20hrs on it....sigh.

==================

It's not really designed and built to be run at WOT for more than a
few minutes at a time. At the very least you will considerably
shorten the life of the engine.
RGrew176

Long term running at WOT will definitely shorten engine life. I rarely run mine
at WOT and then only for a few minutes at best. My max RPM are 4800 and I never
cruise at more than 3600 unless I am trying to outrun a storm to safe harbor
then I will up the ante.

Also, after any long cruise it is best to let the engine idle for 5 minutes or
so to cool down from the run. I do that and it seems to work. If I shut right
down from a hard run mine will diesel sometimes too.

If quitters never win, and winners never quit, then who is the fool who said,
"Quit while you're ahead?"

me

"jim" wrote in message ...
Hello,

Anyone know if I could have damaged my 2001 mercruiser 3.0 running at
WOT for over an hour?

Afterwards, when I turned of my engine, it dieseled. Tried it a couple
times and it keeps dieseling. Ill try super unleaded next time out but
concerned if any permanent damage could have been done especially since
it was in salt. Never dieseled before. Only about 20hrs on it....sigh.

TIA!

Damage?, unlikely (this time!) but your engine took a real beating there,
don't do it again unless someones life depends on it!

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Hey Jim,
could be your "diseling" problem is a symptom of poor fuel. Too low of
an octane rating can cause dieseling, also carbon buildup in the heads
can cause pre-ignition or dieseling. If I were you, I would pull the
plugs and look for excessive carbon buildup and fill up with the best
grade of fuel you can obtain.

Capt. Frank

jim wrote:

Hello,

Anyone know if I could have damaged my 2001 mercruiser 3.0 running at
WOT for over an hour?

Afterwards, when I turned of my engine, it dieseled. Tried it a couple
times and it keeps dieseling. Ill try super unleaded next time out but
concerned if any permanent damage could have been done especially since
it was in salt. Never dieseled before. Only about 20hrs on it....sigh.

TIA!

Calif Bill

"jim" wrote in message ...
Hello,

Anyone know if I could have damaged my 2001 mercruiser 3.0 running at
WOT for over an hour?

Afterwards, when I turned of my engine, it dieseled. Tried it a couple
times and it keeps dieseling. Ill try super unleaded next time out but
concerned if any permanent damage could have been done especially since
it was in salt. Never dieseled before. Only about 20hrs on it....sigh.

TIA!

I would check the timing and the idle speed. PRobably not carbon build up
as running wide open normally clears that out.
Bill

Lawrence James

The damage would be to the pistons, head, or cylinder walls from that sort
of treatment. That particular 4 banger is pretty tough. If you are going
to abuse the engine put premium in it. If the dieseling does not clear up
then you may have damaged it.

"jim" wrote in message ...
Hello,

Anyone know if I could have damaged my 2001 mercruiser 3.0 running at
WOT for over an hour?

Afterwards, when I turned of my engine, it dieseled. Tried it a couple
times and it keeps dieseling. Ill try super unleaded next time out but
concerned if any permanent damage could have been done especially since
it was in salt. Never dieseled before. Only about 20hrs on it....sigh.

TIA!

jim

thanks. hope to take it out soon but gail force winds in Half moon bay lately.
Man, I didnt know I was running WOT coming back from the tuna grounds. Im use
to running my old boat with a force 120 at over 5000rpms. I had no idea these
mercruisers topped at about 4400rpms...sigh.

"jim" wrote in message ...
Hello,

Anyone know if I could have damaged my 2001 mercruiser 3.0 running at
WOT for over an hour?

Afterwards, when I turned of my engine, it dieseled. Tried it a couple
times and it keeps dieseling. Ill try super unleaded next time out but
concerned if any permanent damage could have been done especially since
it was in salt. Never dieseled before. Only about 20hrs on it....sigh.

TIA!

Lloyd Sumpter

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 04:21:28 +0000, jim wrote:

Hello,

Anyone know if I could have damaged my 2001 mercruiser 3.0 running at
WOT for over an hour?

Afterwards, when I turned of my engine, it dieseled. Tried it a couple
times and it keeps dieseling. Ill try super unleaded next time out but
concerned if any permanent damage could have been done especially since
it was in salt. Never dieseled before. Only about 20hrs on it....sigh.

TIA!

I had a similar engine (the 2.5L 120hp) in my Campion, and it used to
diesel a lot. I found letting it cool down before shutting it off after
running hard seemed to help.

As others have said, it's a pretty tough engine, and "WOT" isn't that
high an RPM (4000?).

Lloyd Sumpter

Alternator Shot - How long running on Batteries? speedo General 6 October 8th 03 02:29 PM
Stainless Prop Damage M.E. General 15 September 25th 03 02:39 AM
Is my boat running right Tony Thomas General 3 August 26th 03 07:25 PM
Hull Damage Jim General 3 July 21st 03 07:15 AM
Hull Damage Tony Thomas General 3 July 12th 03 03:41 AM